Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-11KS upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-11KS upgrade

Been tinkering with my TD-11KS again, seeing what I can do to upgrade the kit. Sometimes, I wonder if I should have bought the TD-15KV in the first place, but then I decided to create a chart for myself. For anyone thinking along these lines, maybe considering which kit to get (entry or mid-level), I'm providing this chart. All prices before tax in Canadian dollars. All upgrades bought new from a music shop, or slightly reduced with full warranty:

...........TD-11KS..........Upgraded TD-11KS.................TD-15KV

Snare: PDX -8............. PD-105.................................... PDX -100
    Hi-hat: CY-5................ CY-5........................................ VH-11
    Ride: CY-8.................. CY-13R................................... CY-13R
    Crash 1: CY-8............. CY-8........................................ CY-12C
    Crash 2: N/A............... CY-8........................................ N/A
    Tom 1: PD-8A.............. PDX -8.................................... PD-85
    Tom 2: PD-8A.............. PDX -8.................................... PD-85
    Tom 3: PD-8A.............. PDX -100................................ PDX -100
    Tom 4: N/A.................. PDX -100................................ N/A
    Kick: KD-9.................. KD-9....................................... KD-9

Total: $900.................. $2000...................................... $2800

You can see that the upgraded kit (as I have done it) fills a gap between the TD-11KS and the TD-15KV very nicely. I end up with a much fuller kit (extra tom and crash), but I don't have the VH-11 or the TD-15 brain, but are these worth the extra $800? One Drumsplitters.com cable needed to add the extra triggers. Be happy to hear your comments, and I will at some point upload pictures. Thanks.
    Last edited by gradier; 03-26-14, 08:24 PM.
    Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

I find your chart interesting. But I won't let it get away without taking the advantage to throw in my view.
    I'll keep this short, and I'm not going for an argument!

Guideline A)
    TD-11 < TD-9 used

Guideline B)
    TD-15 < 2box

Guideline A) Expandabilty is greater with TD-9 than either 11 and 15. When thinking about an upgrade, that is a crucial point.

Guideline B) The 2box is a flagship. You're 'at the top' - you only can downgrade from there, as there is no module above it. The TD-15 is an upgrade from the TD-11, but will leave you with an 'urge' to uprade, a huge gap between it and the TD-30.

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I guess I also had an unstated objective: What kit can I buy or build for $2000 or less? Can I do it without the risk of buying used with no warranty? Also, I could have bought the 15 in the first place, but it still needs upgrades for me (different snare, plus no crash 2, no tom 4), so now $600-700 has been added to the $2800 outlay. BTW I am very happy with the upgraded TD-11 kit. Will I keep it if I win the lottery? No, TD30KV!
      Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

TD-15KV. VEX Evolution. Jobeky Prestige Custom Dual Zone 13" eDrum. PDX-100 X 2. PD-85BK X 2 KD-9 X 1. VH-11. CY-12C X 2. CY-13R. Tama speed cobra. Pearl HI Hat

Comment

Working...
        X