Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Really Can't Be That Hard -- Yamaha or Roland -- sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Really Can't Be That Hard -- Yamaha or Roland -- sounds

I have had a TD4 with mesh heads and an extra crash for two years and am running into limitations. Time to upgrade I guess. Would appreciate any advice.

1. ADDING A HIGH HAT. The TD-4 does not seem to work well with the VH-11 separate "real" high hat (per Roland there is a problem between the units which causes missed hits, they tell me to upgrade). The high hat with the Roland TD4( particularly the high hat pedal) is crap. I played the "real" high hat on an old Yamaha entry level and it was nice.
    2. EXPANDING SOUNDS AND KITS I am not happy with the pre programmed sounds on the Roland TD4 (does anyone really use most of that crap?) I know the upgrade Roland controllers have more kits and sound but it appears as though I cannot add sounds to them. The Yamaha sets appear set up to add new sounds.
    3. ACTUALLY ADDING SOUNDS. Is the Yamaha using wav files to add sounds? Where is the best place to buy files to upload to the controller. I would love to find a few kits such as my Gretsch acoustic with my Zildjian cymbals to emulate on the edrums.
    3. PRICING. a former bass player, I am 2 years into playing drums. THe little band I am with is talking about playing out and we think we want to use the edrums. I was thinking about the Yamaha DTX-790K, snare, high hat, 3 toms, 2 crashes and a ride, with larger bass drum kick. The best price I can find new is $3599. If I am going to spend this much what should I be thinking about. Should I be thinking about staying with Roland, or is it time to switch to Yamaha?
    4 HEADS. I have played both the mesh and the silicon heads. I can deal with either. This is not an issue for me.
    5. LOCAL SUPPORT. I need to rely on you guys because my local drum shops do not have a lot of knowledge on edrums.

Thanks for helping a newcomer.

Joe

You're right it's simple! Buy a 2 box! Seriously , if it is between Yammie and Roland I hear Yammie is coming out with some new technology in their modules similar to 2 box . I had 3 Roland modules including the td 30 and sold it for 2 box . If you go Yammie or Roland don't be afraid of a good used kit as they can be bought for substantially less than a new one. And there is always the acoustic to electronic conversion of a real acoustic set with a module , triggers and mesh heads! That's where I ended up after owning the Roland kits

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Joe !

Allow me to chime in on some of your burning Q's:

Originally posted by Joe Slump View Post
      A couple of things, (1) assume it comes with rubber heads, but see for $85 I can buy after market mesh heads. Worth it?
      Yes
      (Depending on what you prefer to play on, feel-wise).

Difficult to install?
      No
      It's much like changing a regular mylar head.

(2) Does the thing come in any other color than that god awful orange?
      No
      Not at present, anyways. The new triggers changed from Orange prototype-color to White, and some prototype pads were seen in both Yellow and Green - so there's a bit of hope. With regards to the module: Cover it up with vinyl, or paint it black (...two proven solutions that all had been done before). And if you are truly brave, sand off the color! ...there's bare aluminum waiting to be seen under there...

(3) assume that there are enough wav files so that i can create my own drum sets easily?
      Yes
      The downloadable editor makes creating kits very easy. Once you get bored with the internal wav-files of the module, you simply can 'roll your own'.

(4) Can i add a second crash?
      Yes!

Take care!
      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-24-14, 10:12 AM.
      Greetings from Switzerland,
      - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I can only double or triple what the previous posters said.
        It's time to switch to 2box mate!

Comment

The Yamaha allows import of own wav samples, but not complete kits.

The 2Box is the only one that can import whole kits from VSTs.

Looking at your first post, I too would be inclined to say that you will not be happy with either Yamaha or Roland's offerings.

Or hook a computer to your TD4 and use VSTs directly. That would satisfy your needs for good sounding kits.
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Appreciate all the input. How is the bass kick. Do I need to be gentle or can it handle a good kick. I'm not seeing any reason not to go 2box. Everything I read is positive. Local venders do not carry the 2box. Who provides the best service if I buy it online?

Comment

The kick can handle a good hit without any problems (at least with the MK2 rack).
              I used it with a "Czarcie Kopyto" and i have yet to see a bass drum pedal that hits harder.
              I have just sticked an evans patch on to the mesh head so that the "blacksmith's hammers" from czarcie wouldn't make a hole in the head after five minutes, was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Slump View Post
                Who provides the best service if I buy it online?
                That would be Cymbalism Music, hands down!

Not least because the 'guy in charge', Mr. Scott Hutton, is in direct contact with Hoshino USA (2box' U.S.-distribution) and Bengt Lilja (the very CEO and owner of 2box)! They have a speedy delivery, from all that I've heard, and a great customer support, both before and after the purchase. In addition, Scott frequently engages in discussions on this very forum, as well as the 2box-forum itself!

How is the bass kick. Do I need to be gentle or can it handle a good kick.
                You don't have to hold back, the Rack can take a beating! To be fair, you shouldn't expect 'Gibraltar-Quality though ...so there's still a bit of shaking here and there; it may not be quite up to the 'rock-sturdiness' of a Gibraltar rack.

See the video in the link below for a means of comparison...
                As you will notice, the rack handles the double-bass attacks of the demonstrator quite fine ...and he's not exactly holding back, either!

:-)

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?...18445#msg18445

HTH
                Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-25-14, 08:13 AM.
                Greetings from Switzerland,
                - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post

That would be Cymbalism Music, hands down!

Not least because the 'guy in charge', Mr. Scott Hutton, is in direct contact with Hoshino USA (2box' U.S.-distribution) and Bengt Lilja (the very CEO and owner of 2box)! They have a speedy delivery, from all that I've heard, and a great customer support, both before and after the purchase. In addition, Scott frequently engages in discussions on this very forum, as well as the 2box-forum itself!
                  HTH
                  I agree. Excellent customer service and reliability.
                  8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                  http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
                    The 2Box is the only one that can import whole kits from VSTs.

Can you please elaborate on this? I saw another post that said "2box eliminates the need for a computer".
                    I was wondering, what if there were sets I liked on Addictive Drums such as Black Velvet?
                    Would I be able to download that complete set and save it on 2box?

Thank you for any information.

Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

I'm an owner of Roland's current flagship kit, the TD-30KV. After playing this kit for two years, I don't think I'd buy it again. The sounds aren't good enough to be convincing and there are many playability issues that make this kit not worth its high cost. Perhaps, if Roland were charging only a few hundred or maybe one thousand dollars top price, the kit might be worth it. But at six to seven thousand dollars and up, the high end Roland kits don't offer enough performance and sonic quality to justify their high price.

Myself, the next time I'm looking for an e-kit, I'll probably buy an inexpensive Yamaha module and use it to trigger VSTs on a laptop. I think I'd bypass the 2Box because currently the best e-drum technology is in drum VST software, like BFD, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, and so on. The 2Box, while convenient, limits you sonically (you must convert and downgrade VST libraries to put them on the 2Box) and in terms of the pads and cymbals you can use. Therefore, I'd pick the trigger unit that made most sense for the pads and cymbals I want to use, and then use a laptop and software for the sounds.

Comment

Downgrade? Not that I know of. explain please.
                        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

Re "downgrade" in relation to converting VSTs to 2Box. What I mean is in their native environment, a VST is not just the samples. It's algorithms and things like microphone positions and so on. When you convert this for 2Box, you get one setting of infinitely many variations. Thus, the VST is being downgraded to this single representation of those many capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post
                            Can you please elaborate on this? I saw another post that said "2box eliminates the need for a computer".
                            I was wondering, what if there were sets I liked on Addictive Drums such as Black Velvet?
                            Would I be able to download that complete set and save it on 2box?

Thank you for any information.
                            Search tab is your friend.

Or just go directly to the 2Box forum and get the latest news.
                            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                              Re "downgrade" in relation to converting VSTs to 2Box. What I mean is in their native environment, a VST is not just the samples. It's algorithms and things like microphone positions and so on. When you convert this for 2Box, you get one setting of infinitely many variations. Thus, the VST is being downgraded to this single representation of those many capabilities.
                              Not really. If you build the kit just like you want it befor you convert it.....it's the same kit. Now if you are in the habit of constantly changing all the settings, mic bleeds, filters etc. while you play... Then yes, the 2Box will not do this. However that's not a downgrade..... That's ocd.
                              Last edited by fulrmr(Daniel); 11-24-14, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X