Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triggera krigg and my quest to find a perfect e- kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggera krigg and my quest to find a perfect e- kick

Greetings guys,

I wanted to share with you my review of the triggera krigg, i am aware that the guys from triggera are present on the forum and asked me for feedback when i was buying their product so as a way to not to repeat myself i am giving my opinion also to the forum comunity in general.

I would have to begin by stating that i had two goals to reach.
    1. Get a kick accoustically as quiet as possible
    2. To get a product which has a feel as similar to an A as possible
    The first goal was achieved, the level of accoustic noise is near to non existent (it's the least loud element of my 2box kit).
    However the second one is impossible to attain with this kind of construction.
    I am a little mad at myself for not noticing this in the first place while watching the krigg youtube videos.

The first problem was that i incorporate a lot of semi-quick double bass patterns in my playing, when i am playing for example sixteenth notes in the tempo of 140-200 bpm i rely on the weight of the beater to play with ease. I just put "a lot" of power in the first stroke and add a little of force for every next hit i do and let the spring + the weight of the beater to work it's magic. That's my answer to triggera's question : "why do you even need a beater ?" - I need it to be able to execute a technique, also being a drummer who wants to benefit from his practice in playing accoustic drums i need to make this as close to the real thing as possible.

So the first conclusion i got to was that i had to use it with the beater. Ok, nothing wrong with that, the guys from triggera say they have some satisfied customers that do so, so i wasn't concerned in that matter. I am sure that they certainly are satisfied, if they have their beater on and the krigg is set as shown in the videos on youtube.
    As you can notice on those videos, the distance that the footboard has to travel to hit the krigg is about 30% of the distance it has to travel normally for the beater to hit a bass drum.
    I however, couldn't play anything with that kind of setting.No matter how high the beater was set or how tight the spring was there was no way that one could possibly build technique with this.
    It was just impossible to control and i can't imagine to get any effects from practice.

I got to my second conclusion, got to emulate the real thing and not only keep the beater on, but increase the distance that the footboard has to travel to hit the krigg. Once i did that i was in heaven, the feel was perfect. I actually thought i will be able to effectively practise "try hard" :P drumming quietly in my flat. How short was this moment of bliss. The krigg kept on changing position after only a few hits. I kept tightening the screw on and on, sometimes lightly and sometimes really hard, nothing gave any effect... After a few weeks of spending most of my training time on getting the krigg in the correct position i decided to finally throw in the towel. I had noticed what was causing the problem, the metal plate that the trigger is screwed on to got bent.

I got to ask in the triggera question thread if this is covered by the warranty, but probably not i guess. I gotta say that the krigg triggers perfectly, and i am currently in the process of designing a custom base for the krigg trigger alone so i can use it the way i need it. Are you other krigg owners experiencing this problem ? I actually mean people who rely on the beater weight for proper technique.

Regards

Yeah, me too. Please post some pics if you are able get this mod right, I would really appreciate it

Comment

Thanks a lot for your feedback, DrumDependent.
      If I understood it correctly, when the krigg is in the lowest position - the feel is perfect!
      I can just agree. I use it in that position, and as far as I saw user pics - most of them use it like that as well.
      The issue with changing positions is usually due to the wing nut, which is not of best quality frankly.

As a matter of fact, we'll be releasing V3 in April, which will address this and some other small issues. We redesigned the base, changed the wing nut, ...
      electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Gotta give it to you Triggera, you respond to your customers ultra fast :-) . Yes you understood me perfectly. Once the krigg is set in the lowest possible position, the feel is great. I just cant get it to stay in one place.
        Iím starting to think that the way to go with kick triggers is to separate the trigger and the surface that is supposed to be striked, something like axis did with their e-kit trigger but with a striking surface thatís not ment to get hit by the beater, but by the footboard just like the krigg does. That way one could have a product that feels great, is quiet acoustically and is durable and stable enough to take a hit from a pedal equipped in a beater.
        A V3 krigg with the above mentioned issue taken care of would be a blast. Maybe you guys can send me the new components (steel frame+tightening bolts) if my case qualifies for a warranty return. Does it ?

Comment

Maybe try supporting the Krigg with something underneath, like a custom fit wood block or some washers.

Then it won't stress the plate.

I put mine all the way at the bottom so it is resting on the pedal.

I also protected its rubber with a standard bass drum protection pad (cut down to size).
          Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
          Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
          Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

I had exactly the same issues and have resorted to placing a small piece of ether foam underneath to prevent it moving because of the wing nut issue

Comment

Hey guys, whoever has any kind of problem with any of our products should just email us with descriptions and pics, and we will sort it out.
              I thought that was obvious. Not only with us, but with all companies.
              There are "problems" due to improper mounting/positioning/using ... and they can be fixed by advises.
              And there are problems caused by normal usage, which have to be solved by replacing some parts.
              If you're having problems with loosening, a quick and easy solution is to try another wingnut. It's a common M6 thread and can be found in all hardware stores.
              Or we can send it to you, sure.
              As for the steel base, you're probably a hard hitter (or should I say stepper)
              Because we have V1 users here and they never reported that problem. And V1 was even thinner, less durable than V2.
              But, again, sure, I can send you V3 base and nut, once we release it

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Hey guys..any news on the release of the Krigg v3? eager to place an order :-)

Comment

Should have been ready in a couple of days. But because of the holidays, will be shortly after the Easter. So, next week definitely!

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Fantaaastic news.thanks for the heads up...eager to see what you have in store for us!

Comment

I like my v1 Krigg but lately its been moving about a lot.

Comment

It's ready! Here you can see it.
                        Just needs logo printed, but you can see all the modifications.
                        We already started shipping them. Although, the price won't change until we update the website (during weekend).

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Fantastic news! will place an order straight away for 2 of these bad boys - whats the new price?

Comment

53EUR. But as I said, we won't change the current price until we update the website with the pics of V3. And that will happen during weekend.

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

I must begin by disclosing that I sold my Krigg, because I was not using it. I have no noise issues where I practice so I thought I would let someone get a deal.

But to the point of this post. If your kick pedal is a nice heavy unit with a good footplate, and if your mat is something like the yoga-mat material that is very popular these days, it will not wander much. And as for the wing nut issue, the obvious solution would be to use a hex nut instead and tighten it with a wrench. Drummers should be protective of their fingers anyway so wing nuts are a risk.
                              __________________________________________________ _____
                              Always seeking a compact one-piece solution to electronic drumming.

Comment

Working...
                              X