Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD12 vs. Alesis DM10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD12 vs. Alesis DM10

I need help from the experts...

I have been using a DM10 with my Boom Theory Space Muffins. I have a second set of Space Muffins I need to sell and haven't had a ton of interest in the drums without a module packaged with it. I have an opportunity to get a Roland TD12 used to pair with my Muffins.

Of course, the question becomes "do I pair the Roland with the Muffins I'm selling or do I sell the DM10 and keep the Roland for my e-kit?"

Please inundate me with your opinions... what would you do?

Never owned Alesis products but have owned many Roland's including the 30 and if I was in your shoes I would get the Roland td 12 only because I know they have lots of features but more reliability traditionally than Alesis . Maybe you will hit somebody on the forum who you has owned both

Comment

You will notice that this is my first post. I just joined here. I just bought my first Roland module. I was using the Alesis DM10 Pro kit for the last couple of years. I would sell the Roland. And I say this because you are trying to SELL something and I am not sure anyone would buy the DM10 ;-/

It suited me fine as I came out of "retirement" from a life of playing drums in my youth. As my playing and ears got better the module was not able to keep up with the nuances of my drumming. Also, and here is a real biggie, the DM as a module has been pretty much abandoned by Alesis.Their promised of expansions and updates, multiple sound libraries, etc. have all proved empty. At fist they were focusing on the DM10 version Pearl sells for three times the dough. The the Ipad dock ( I have yet to see any software in the app-store that works with that dock). Their new products just seem to be rehashed versions of the old. You still have an expansion path for the 12 do you not?

I have also had to replace the DM10 twice, one with the infamous TOM1 problem, and a dead back-light. I can't tell you what to keep and sell. I can tell you the TD 12 is a much better and better built module.

I hate for my first post to be so negative. But it is good to be here in Roland Land.
      Last edited by evilcartman; 03-17-14, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
        You will notice that this is my first post. I just joined here. I just bought my first Roland module. I was using the Alesis DM10 Pro kit for the last couple of years. I would sell the Roland. And I say this because you are trying to SELL something and I am not sure anyone would buy the DM10 ;-/

It suited me fine as I came out of "retirement" from a life of laying drums in my youth. As my playing and ears got better the moduel was not able to keep up with the nuances of my drumming. Also, and here is a real biggie, the DM as a module has been pretty much abandoned by Alesis.Their promised of expansions and updates, multiple sound libraries, etc. have all proved empty. At fist they were focusing on the DM10 version Pearl sells for three times the dough. The the Ipad dock ( I have yet to see any software in the app-store that works with that dock). Their new products just seem to be rehashed versions of the old. You still have an expansion path for the 12 do you not?

I have also had to replace the DM10 twice, one with the infamous TOM1 problem, and a dead back-light. I can't tell you what to keep and sell. I can tell you the TD 12 is a much better and better built module.

I hate for my first post to be so negative. But it is good to be here in Roland Land.
        I think it is important to note that if one is to buy an Alesis DM10 module new today it will not have the TOM1 problem. That problem came in to being about 2011 and was resolved by early 2012. The only to get a DM10 module with that issue is to buy new old stock or a used one.

The best way to decide is to ask yourself, which you like using. If you like the Roland TD-12 and think you might start playing with more regularity than keep it. You will gain dual zone hi-hat and positional sensing on the snare which the DM10 doesn't have. However the DM10 is able to do things the TD-12 can't, such as layering sounds and dynamic sound changes based on velocity, and of course the DM10 is very expandable (35 fully editable additional zones) via midi.
        alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Is your priority to sell or to keep the better module? I wasn't really joking when I said sell the Roland, as I think it will sell better, just look on eBay.

If you want to keep the "better one" you don't need an expert opinion, just listen to your own ears. As Hellfire said, that DM10 has many advanced features, being their top model. And you have been playing it for a while, presumably satisfied. You must have played the Roland a bit now too. What do you think? And are you in in real need of money or space, you could consider keeping both, even combining the kits.

I admit I am a bit biased against Alesis, having struggled with them from day one. I have very low opinions of their support, reliability, and quality control. But that's just one guys opinion. And you got a another guys different than mine almost right away. I did have many happy months playing the DM10 after all. If you like your DM10 keep it. If you like the Roland more, keep it.

One thing I would add: if you are a very hi-hat oriented player, seriously look at the TD12. It is not just the dual zone there's something about in the way you hit it and open it that the DM10 can't trigger. It was always frustrating me and I was never able to adjust my playing to suit the trigger.
          Last edited by evilcartman; 03-17-14, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X