Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFO Drums Rim "Condoms"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO Drums Rim "Condoms"?

Hey all,

So I have my A2E kit pretty much wrapped up, but I'm having problems getting good sensitivity out of my rim sensors. I'm currently using rubber rim protectors from 682drums, but I think its just too thick. Yeah, its quiet and keeps the sticks from getting all chipped to hell, but they are absorbing all impact and no matter how much I change the rim sensitivity on my TD-30 it just doesn't react like the Roland PD108/128 pads of my previous TD-30KV. So I'm on the look out for other solutions. Since Hart Dynamics is out, I'm stuck with very few options. One gripe I also have is that I want rim protectors that are one solid loop. Not a piece of trim that I wrap around and tape together at the ends. That looks bad and starts peeling up over time.

From what I can see, one option are these rim protectors from UFO drums:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rim-Condoms-...item56519df8f8

They look to be one solid round loop, which pleases me, but what about their thickness? Are they thick enough to take an impact without splitting? Are they too thick that they lose all sensitivity on the rims?

Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,
    Tom
    I think my work is done here.

I cant comment on the UFO Drums hoop protectors but I use the Roland ones and they are very good with my cut shells and triggers.

Comment

Forgot to ask, what sizes are your drums? Unfortunately roland has limited diameters on their hoop protectors.

Comment

I need 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 16.

Comment

While I can't comment on the UFO hoop protectors I have purchased from and spoken with Mitch before. Great guy! Super helpful.

I'd say reach out to him:

http://ufodrums.com/Home.html
          -Chris

Comment

Pintech Silentrim. I have no experience with this product but I like the way they fit (looking at the cutaway pic) and I'm considering using them on my own Gretsch kit. Around $10 apiece isn't too bad either. Having said that, I will also look into some of the profiles available from McMaster Carr. I like the rubber type with metal liner.
            Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

I will have to look in to those a bit more. The 682 stuff is a waste of money. I'm in a crappy mood due to unrelated things, but when I think about my bass drum head from them as well, its also crappy. Yeah it works, but its loud and coarse and will probably cause premature failure fro my bass drum foam. I hate talking down about a company, but I just can't recommend their products.

Comment

• TheYardbird
                TheYardbird commented
                Editing a comment
                Wait.. what? Damn it! I ordered my set of 682 mesh-heads yesterday! >_

check out our review ...
              preview of the August 2012 issue of digitalDrummer magazine.
              . digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

• TheYardbird
                TheYardbird commented
                Editing a comment
                Well from what I understand from your review then the 682 heads are pretty decent. Although I haven't seen many people talking about the 682 heads around here.. I'm still juggling some ideas about how I could quiet down my drums even further than just putting mesh-heada on them, but it would suck if it turns out that the heads I've bought are noisy and not as all as good as they seem.

• allanjohn
                allanjohn commented
                Editing a comment
                The review I'm talking about is the rim protector item.

I've got a rim protector from UFO. It works well enough but doesn't seem to last as long as the ones I bought from Roland.

Comment

Yeah I also bought the UFO rim protectors awhile back and they don't last to long before they are worn through, They are very thin.
                Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
                Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Thin may not be that bad though. I don't play the rims of my toms very much and the thinner material may help increase rim sensitivity. Allan, I will check out your article later today. Thanks for testing all this stuff out.
                  Last edited by Tommy_D; 03-21-14, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Longevity has more to do with the quality and physical characteristics of the rubber used, than with its thickness.
                    Durable rubber can last long while being thin ...
                    electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Note that UFO rim rubber is not shaped, like Roland or Pintech rim protectors. I agree with Triggera that the material makes a difference, but I wonder if the contoured products that sit more firmly on the rim last longer?
                      . digitalDrummer
                      Review index

Comment

When compared to a product of same rubber - yes, the one that sits firmly will last longer. And will also offer better rim sensitivity.
                        electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

We've tested everything that we've seen on the market. Our tests showed that when the rubber is shaped to fit on the rim, it responds better (As triggera stated above) - Durability was hard to test, and it may have been a coincidence, but one of the ones we tested that did NOT contour to the rim started tearing quite fast during our testing.

I can speak about how others make their rubber hoop trim, but we have a special extrusion mold that is made specifically for drum hoops. The rubber is a durable rubber that offers the best sound dampening, rebound and longevity that we could find. We tested something like 20 different types of rubber before making our decision. Anything that gets beat with a stick needs to be durable, ha!

As with any rubber hoop trim, you may need to increase your sensitivity a little bit for the rim - but other than that, it should be a pretty straight-forward install and play application.

Comment

• BWaj
                            BWaj commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks, I'm looking for new ones and will give yours a try. I really appreciate how active you are on here and that you are informative without being pushy. Now get off my back, I said I was buying em!!
                        Working...
                        X