Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New TD-11K VS Used (In a good condition) TD-9K2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TD-11K VS Used (In a good condition) TD-9K2

Hi,
    I started to drum 2 months ago and I feel that I'm ready to buy a system. I feel that It became a passion for me and that's the first time that I feel something like that for a hobby.
    I highly prefer the electronic system because of the technology in it and the whole new world of the experience when druming. And of course, the whole noise issue that I'll need to deal with if i'll buy an acoustic system, doesn't sound too good for me.
    So I found 2 systems that will probably be fine of me: the TD-11K and the TD-9K2.
    About the TD-11K, if I'll buy it, i'll buy that standard one, I don't think that i need to explain more about this system.
    About the TD-9K2, I found an used TD-9K2 that the owner bought one year ago and he said that it's in a good condition+ I'll get Roland's Amplifier (that costs about 300$) and Pearl P900 pedal.
    The Difference between the two system will be about 660$ (the TD-9K2 of course, costs more).

I'm debating and I don't know which system to buy and if it will be right to pay more 700$ and get an older system but with a better technology...
    That's the reason that I'm asking your help guys..
    And of course.. If you recommend on another system.. I will be glad to hear your suggestions..

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by ziv987; 03-10-14, 01:34 PM.

Simple answer. If you can afford it, go with the TD-9K2. It's the better kit by quite a large margin. How much does the guy want for the TD-9K2? Maybe you can talk him down a bit.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, ziv987!

Get the used TD-9K2.
      You'll get more gear for your money, and added expandability to boot. The TD-9K2 has a nice Pearl pedal thrown in, too. Once you factor in that you will have to spend money on the TD-11 kit for a throne, a hihat-stand, a bassdrum pedal and not least an amplifying system, you'll notice that the price-difference in favour of the 11 will melt away pretty quick!

In addition, take a look at this thread HERE: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...670#post981670

As I've said it there: The TD-11 is not a direct replacement for the TD-9, the TD-9 was the module one step higher up. All these things considered, the conclusion is a no-brainer: Used TD-9 ...all the way.

Happy Drumming!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

TD9k2 all the way!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
          Simple answer. If you can afford it, go with the TD-9K2. It's the better kit by quite a large margin. How much does the guy want for the TD-9K2? Maybe you can talk him down a bit.
          He wants about 2160$.. I'll try to lower the price to about 1700$, It's a 3 hours drive to him so.. I need to take that in mind.

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
          Welcome to the forum, ziv987!

Get the used TD-9K2.
          You'll get more gear for your money, and added expandability to boot. The TD-9K2 has a nice Pearl pedal thrown in, too. Once you factor in that you will have to spend money on the TD-11 kit for a throne, a hihat-stand, a bassdrum pedal and not least an amplifying system, you'll notice that the price-difference in favour of the 11 will melt away pretty quick!

In addition, take a look at this thread HERE: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...670#post981670

As I've said it there: The TD-11 is not a direct replacement for the TD-9, the TD-9 was the module one step higher up. All these things considered, the conclusion is a no-brainer: Used TD-9 ...all the way.

Happy Drumming!
          I'll think about it.. The all thing of a used product is worried me because I can't really know where that system was and how much did he use it.. He said to me that he didn't use it and it's basically like a new one.. My drumming teacher told me that he can join me if i'll buy an used system and test it out.. but because it's a 3 hours drive, i can't take him with me..
          I understand the claim that i'll spend more money for pedals and another staff if i'll buy that TD-11K but in generally, the TD-11 doesn't come with a pedal? I thought to make my parents (that buy this system for me) calm and don't make him to worry for that problams in a used kit and use the standard TD-11 and if it's possible, maybe in the future i'll upgrade that pads and the module..
          I can afford more 600$ but you know.. I won't feel good that i'm buying a kit and my teacher haven't tested it and confirm that it's fine and proper..

About the pads, The TD-9's pads are better that the TD-11K?

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
          TD9k2 all the way!!!
          Thanks, I'm thinking on it..
          Last edited by ziv987; 03-11-14, 08:29 AM.

Comment

As a 'rough' guide for buying used electronic kits:

1. The Module:

Start off with the trickier part of the kit: the electronics...
            • First thing's first: See, if the module powers up and give each pad a whack.
            • If the unit powers up, and you can hear sound, you've already passed the biggest hurdle; taken the biggest step forward!
            • Further examination should again be the outer case: avoid if there are beer-stains or a volume-knob that's broken off!

2. The Pads:
            • With used pads, there isn't much that can go wrong!
            • If you can give them a good whack beforehand, to see if it triggers fine, that's even better.
            • Observe, if each pad is triggering a sound, and that the hihat-pedal is working. If something doesn't sound, check if the cables are properly inserted.
            • If they look like really shabby, like they were treated really badly, your eye will avoid them anyway!

3. The Rack:
            • Same can be said of a used rack: If it appears to be nicely treated, no broken clamps etc, you can go for it!
            • The main part of the rack is just some metal pipes - Not much rocket-sience, here! If the bars itself are not dented or full of rust, you are save!
            • You should though inspect the clamps fairly closely, especially if they are plastic. Make sure none of them are broken. This can frequently occur when the clamps have been overtightened.

Lastly, you might take a look at...

4. The rest of the hardware:
            • The bassdrum-pedal should run smooth without squeaking.
            • The cymbal holders should be adjustable without any great effort.
            • The drum-throne should feel sturdy and supportive if you sit on it!

If you can take somebody with you that has drumming experience, that would be a plus - two pairs of eyes see more than just one!

Also, you should make sure to check beforehand what software-version (TD9 v2 recommended) the module is!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Me again...

Have you asked and/or already received some (hopefully detailed) pictures from the used TD-9 kit by the seller?
              If so, could you post them here? ...If we spot something unusual, we would not be hesitant to tell you!

HTH

Comment

Me again...

Have you asked and/or already received some (hopefully detailed) pictures from the used TD-9 kit by the seller?
                If so, could you post them here? ...If we spot something unusual, we would not be hesitant to tell you!

HTH
                He took off the offer for some reason.. it isn't in the site anymore.. wired..
                Anyway,I found another offer, There is a TD-4 in a good condition.. white pads.. 4 cymbals 3 toms, snare and bass drum..
                Double pedal Pearl P902, and a Hi-hat pedal.. And Pro Mark Mike Portnoy signature sticks, MIDI CABLEand a drum throne..
                Alot of staff here, i don't sure that the system it self will be better than the TD-11K..

I'v sent you a message with the photo.. Becuase it's private..

Comment

I think that i'll go with the TD-11K and In the future i'll upgrade it.
                  Is that kit is upgradable? If I'll want to upgrade that pads/the module/add double pedal, It's all possible?

Thanks.

Comment

Yep, get the TD9, You never know when you might want to add it to a TD30!! LOL
                    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by ziv987 View Post
                      I think that i'll go with the TD-11K and In the future i'll upgrade it.
                      Is that kit is upgradable? If I'll want to upgrade that pads/the module/add double pedal, It's all possible?

As always, it depends...
                      • You sure can add a double pedal (...to any kit really)
                      • Depending on what you want to 'upgrade' with the pads: you can get 'Bigger' pads, but there will be a natural limitation if you wanted simply 'More' pads.
                      • You will be stuck with the included VH-11. This is true to all lower-end TD modules.
                      • If you think about upgrading the module already ...you think about the wrong module to begin with!

VDrums-forum rule number one:
                      "Get the most module you can afford!"

Repeat after me...

If you can go higher: Good! - used TD12's or TD20X's spring to mind.
                      Else, look for another used TD9 ...don't settle for less!

HTH

Comment

• ziv987
                        ziv987 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I ment: "If i'll want to change the toms from these black pads to pads like that snare (like the PDX-8) that will be alright?
                        I'm really not looking for another module, i know that there are alot of plugins to buy and install and i think that the TD-11 it's very cool and from me, as a beginner, i'm looking for a basic module, with cool and realistic sounds and that will be awesome.

I'll keep looking for used kit but i think that finally i'll go with the TD-11K. I heard good things about it and for me I think that it will be enough and more than that.

As always, it depends...
                      • You sure can add a double pedal (...to any kit really)
                      • Depending on what you want to 'upgrade' with the pads: you can get 'Bigger' pads, but there will be a natural limitation if you wanted simply 'More' pads.
                      • You will be stuck with the included VH-11. This is true to all lower-end TD modules.
                      • If you think about upgrading the module already ...you think about the wrong module to begin with!

VDrums-forum rule number one:
                      "Get the most module you can afford!"

Repeat after me...

If you can go higher: Good! - used TD12's or TD20X's spring to mind.
                      Else, look for another used TD9 ...don't settle for less!

HTH

Sorry, I accidently commented and didn't quote you,

I ment: "If i'll want to change the toms from these black pads to pads like that snare (like the PDX-8) that will be alright?
                      I'm really not looking for another module, i know that there are alot of plugins to buy and install and i think that the TD-11 it's very cool and from me, as a beginner, i'm looking for a basic module, with cool and realistic sounds and that will be awesome.

I'll keep looking for used kit but i think that finally i'll go with the TD-11K. I heard good things about it and for me I think that it will be enough and more than that.

I don't know.. something in me telling me that a kit that was owned by a person for a year.. doesn't sound too good..
                      I think that i'll go with the TD-11. I found a new guy that selling his TD-9 kit for 2300$ and I talked to him and he sounds nice and all but.. I won't gonna have peace with myself if i'll go with a kit that someone used it for a year. I know that the pads are better and there is a double pedal but all of that it's more advanced.. I'm just a beginner and In the future i'll decide if to upgrade to better pads/pedal/module. I'm not gonna pay more 1000$ and after a half a year i'll feel so stupid that i spent my money on something that I maybe won't be interested in. Now, Druming it's my dream, my passion, my love. But i can't know what will happend in the future and i don't sure that i want to take that chance.
                      Last edited by ziv987; 03-13-14, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I just added a post a couple of days ago that might address your question about changing/upgrading pads from rubber to mesh on the TD-11 kit:

Haven't seen exactly this point discussed, so here goes. For anyone considering buying Roland V-drums...I did not buy the TD-15 a year ago when all I could afford was the TD-11ks, but maybe that was a good thing, because this is what you can do.

Buy a new snare: e.g. PD-105 (Got one for $300 'almost' new from my local music store)
                        Move the TD-11ks snare (PDX-8) to tom 1 position
                        Buy a second rack tom to go with the PDX-8 (Got one for $100 'almost' new at my local music store)
                        Buy two PDX-100 floor toms, $219 new, giving you a fourth tom (the TD-11 kit comes with only three)

OK, so now, for $1738 total, you have a nice TD-11 six-piece drum kit with all mesh heads (Got the TD-11ks on sale for $900).

To compare:
                        The TD-11kv gives you only two PDX-6's and one PDX-8, plus a PDX-8 snare, for $1599.
                        The TD-15k gives you the same pads as the TD-11ks, and it's $1999.
                        The TD-KV gives you a PDX-100 snare, two PD-85 rack toms, and one PDX-100 floor tom, but it is $2499.

OK, there are differences in cymbals, and in the module for TD-11 vs. TD-15. Notably, the TD-15 gives your more sounds/kits, but I really only play about five of the kits, and I like the extra tom that this set-up gives me.

So, is this the best bang for the Roland buck, for those on a budget of less than $2000? I'm not an expert, so I would like to hear what others think:

All prices in Canadian dollars, taxes extra of course..
                        Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

Originally posted by gradier View Post
                          I just added a post a couple of days ago that might address your question about changing/upgrading pads from rubber to mesh on the TD-11 kit:

Haven't seen exactly this point discussed, so here goes. For anyone considering buying Roland V-drums...I did not buy the TD-15 a year ago when all I could afford was the TD-11ks, but maybe that was a good thing, because this is what you can do.

Buy a new snare: e.g. PD-105 (Got one for $300 'almost' new from my local music store)
                          Move the TD-11ks snare (PDX-8) to tom 1 position
                          Buy a second rack tom to go with the PDX-8 (Got one for $100 'almost' new at my local music store)
                          Buy two PDX-100 floor toms, $219 new, giving you a fourth tom (the TD-11 kit comes with only three)

OK, so now, for $1738 total, you have a nice TD-11 six-piece drum kit with all mesh heads (Got the TD-11ks on sale for $900).

To compare:
                          The TD-11kv gives you only two PDX-6's and one PDX-8, plus a PDX-8 snare, for $1599.
                          The TD-15k gives you the same pads as the TD-11ks, and it's $1999.
                          The TD-KV gives you a PDX-100 snare, two PD-85 rack toms, and one PDX-100 floor tom, but it is $2499.

OK, there are differences in cymbals, and in the module for TD-11 vs. TD-15. Notably, the TD-15 gives your more sounds/kits, but I really only play about five of the kits, and I like the extra tom that this set-up gives me.

So, is this the best bang for the Roland buck, for those on a budget of less than $2000? I'm not an expert, so I would like to hear what others think:

All prices in Canadian dollars, taxes extra of course..
                          Thanks for the amazing help, I studied alot from you and now I'm sure that with the right equipment that I'll extra to the TD-11K, I'll get the best experience.
                          I'm 100% sure now that I'm making the right choice.

About the APEX and all of the plugins, There are plugins that i could really have an impressive and more realistic quality of the sounds?
                          Which are the best and I'll be very happy for samples. Sorry if I'm not allowed to discuss about that here.

You guys are amazing and I don't think that I could do the right choice without you. Thanks So much!

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
                            go with the TD-9K2.
                            Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
                            TD9k2 all the way!!!
                            Originally posted by Intruder View Post
                            Yep, get the TD9
                            Get the used TD-9K-

We seem to be amazing, yet you seem to ignore us...
                            What's the deal, here?

Comment

Working...
                            X