Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on buying module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying module

I want to buy a drum module. I don’t want to spend more than $300. I don’t need anything fancy, but I want a quality brand. I have a homemade kit. I need a module with CC for the hi-hat controller. This is my first electronic kit. So I don’t know all the terms. My hi-hat controller is full variable so I want the module to respond just like an acoustic hi-hat.
    Thanks for advice

First thing's first:
    To get you a little more versed in and around e-drums (terms, features, pieces it consists of, etc...) take a look at an article dubbed 'Your First E-kit', published in the May 2013 issue of 'Digital Drummer' magazine, pages 6 through 11:

http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs...rummer_may2103

Next, your idea going with a quality brand is a good one. This will mean Roland or Yamaha, most likely. Also, at your suggested budget, this means going second-hand, and maybe streching the budget a little!

A few possible options:
    - Around $260: Yamah DTX-502 (new)
    - Anywhere between $200-400: Roland TD-4
    - About $400-450: Roland TD-9

I even found a Yamaha DTX-500 module (...the predecessor of the 502) for a mere $65 'or best offer', so options are there...

HTH

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-01-14, 07:40 AM. Reason: Formatting and thorough spell-check
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Apologies for my formating! ...my textbox just went sour, and all the spaces disappeared... :/

EDIT:
      Formatted this bugger, finally! ...turned out to be a Flash-problem... #@¦§# !!!!
      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-01-14, 07:27 AM.
      - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

• BWaj
        BWaj commented
        Editing a comment
        It ruined my entire day too! If there one thing I can't take, it's

bad

for mattin

g!

I don't think any of the low-end modules are continuous with the hat, they are stepped. The TD-9 for example has 4 steps, closed, 1/4, 1/2, and open. It takes a more expensive Roland or Yamaha to get you continuous, the TD-30 is continuous, probably the TD-20, and the TD-12 also.

This thread has some more info:
      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...2-module/page2

They quote Yamaha as saying it takes a DTX700 or better to get CC.

Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
      Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
      Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Not quite. It seems the DTX-502 is capable of CC ...via USB, but just not with the internal tone-generator!

A bit further down the thread, Grog has written something interesting:

"Okay, over the weekend, I sat down with three modules and HH rigs and did some comparisons. (...) My reaction? There wasn't all that much difference really. Sure, I could hear more "range" in moving from open to closed (...) but that was only if I was very slow in pressing down on the pedal and hitting the cymbal. In regular play, I'll be damned if I could hear all that much difference between [three different rigs, some cc, some not]. Now, what makes a *huge* difference is using a dual zone HH. There's far more sound variations and dynamics. That being said, the CC part of it was still awfully subtle, so much so that I doubt I'd miss it if I had a module, like the DTX502, that supported a dual zone HH."

I think Jman mentioned a number for the hihat-steps that can be detected; by software like SD and BFD3. The exact number escapes me atm, but I think it was around 7. [I will have to look this up once again].

This aside, a module that provides variable hihat functions (cc or not) will be a vast step upwards from the 'hihat-switch'-modules OP is currently using!

HTH

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-01-14, 07:43 AM. Reason: formatting reply
        - Dänoh

Comment

Addictive drummer has 6 steps as far as I can tell. Four for open and two for closed.

Comment

How about a Roland TD-6?

Comment

Brad, why would you go with old tech?

The TD-6 is old. Period. Depending on which version we are talking about, you are looking at 2001 or 2003 as the introduction-year. That's not current, by any means. The TD-6 won't save you much bucks, if that's your goal. Used one's on ebay go for 250 to 280 dollars. (For comparison: that's about the same price you could have a new TD-4 for.)

For that amount of money, you could have a current (2013) and brand-spanking new Yamaha DTX-502 module (!!!)
              Evidence (from Kraft Music):

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dtx...bonus-pak.html

(You'll get a multi-clamp and cabling with it, too. Which is a nice bonus!)

HTH

- Dänoh

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                Brad, why would you go with old tech?

The TD-6 is old. Period. Depending on which version we are talking about, you are looking at 2001 or 2003 as the introduction-year. That's not current, by any means. The TD-6 won't save you much bucks, if that's your goal. Used one's on ebay go for 250 to 280 dollars. (For comparison: that's about the same price you could have a new TD-4 for.)

For that amount of money, you could have a current (2013) and brand-spanking new Yamaha DTX-502 module (!!!)
                Evidence (from Kraft Music):

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dtx...bonus-pak.html

(You'll get a multi-clamp and cabling with it, too. Which is a nice bonus!)

HTH

Indeed I am leaning towards the DTX-502

Comment

I am a newbie and not far past a similar situation. If the budget is $300 or less, I'd go with the DTX502, even if the CC is only USB or MIDI out.

I was torn between the TD-6V and DTX502…the Roland name was swaying me, had more songs…(though at the time was comparing to similarly priced new DTX500)…so I went for a TD-6V which I got for about $200. I had passed on a rusted bottom TD-6 earlier that went for about $140. The TD-6V also looks cool to my artist's eye, and seems simple to use, has good trigger options.

The caveat…

While I knew the TD-6V was not a recent genre, I did not know at the time that it was that old…2003-2005 era. (I looked at the copyright of the pdf manual) I had thought like 2009 or 2010 due to some posts I'd read somewhere.. Alas, it was already bought and being shipped. Still is a lot of fun though.

I'm probably going to add a DTX502 to the setup next spare $250 I get.

The DTX502 allows for sound layering (make new sounds by combining two), and while it's not much memory at all, you can upload 1MB of samples (20 max) over USB for custom sounds, though if they'd made that 10MB or better, would have been more useful. DTX502 allows for 3 zone snares and cymbals. I would suggest listening to demonstrations on YouTube, and also reading the manuals, even if you can't afford the module in question, it's helpful in your decision making process.
                  - - -
                  Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Working...
                  X