Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the best way to start/stop loops/phrases when using SPD-30 live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the best way to start/stop loops/phrases when using SPD-30 live?

I have SPD-30 and want to create some loops/phrases so I can play it live with my V-drums but the SPD-30 setup is hard for me to start/stop the loop, you have to press play/standby buttons in order for the loop/phrase to stop. Any recommendation for other method, like footswitch? anyone done this? please help. Thanks.
    Last edited by BarT; 03-09-14, 04:30 PM.

have you updated to the latest version 2.02? this update has new features for using phrases live. I haven't used the new features because I gave up trying to use the SPD30 live and now use the SPD SX live. I still create phrases with the 30 and then put them on the SX.

But I do believe you can assign an external pad on the SPD 30 now for Start/Stop function, which is how the SX works. you can also set the pads to different sensitivity levels so the phrases dont' fire off from vibrations, that was my biggest issue with it live. I've updated mine, but haven't played with these new features.
    Noble & Cooley acoustics. Meinl cymbals.
    Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

thanks for reply, could you show me how to record loops/phrase from SPD-30 to SPD-SX too .. I used to have the SPD-S and love the phrase/loops maker in the SPD-S. Now the new SPD-SX is harder to create loops/phrase. Thanks.

Comment

I dont know why they got rid of the phrase maker on the SPD SX. This is going to seem a bit confusing but it's easy once you get the hang of it. You need to cut your sample at the exact number in the wave editor on the SX. And you need to calc out the number based on BPM and how long your loop is. Crazy, I know. But its simple math and works well. I actually dont mind doing it anymore. I posted this in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum, but Im sure it's a bit confusing.(I didn't write that one. I just copied it from another forum so I'll give it a shot here.)

I'll base this example off a 1 bar loop in 4/4 time at 100 bpm that you have created on the SPD30. And Im assuming you know your way around the SX and know how to sample and use the wave editor, pg 29-31 in the manual.

STEP 1.
        Calculate the loop length you need in seconds:
        1 beat (in seconds) = 60 divided by your BPM (so this example is 60/100 = .6 seconds per beat )
        1 bar = 4 beats. So you multiply .6 * 4 beats. Your loop is going to be 2.4 seconds long.
        Now multiply you're seconds( 2.4 * 44,100) this is the sample rate on the SX. You're going to end up with 105,840. This is where you cut your sample on the SX.

STEP 2.
        Set the TEMPO of the KIT on the SX to 100 bpm's.

STEP 3.
        Go to BASIC SAMPLING on the SX.
        Get your levels.
        Set Auto Start to 1
        Fire off the SPD 30 and let it play thru for the 4 beats and let it go over a very little(you'll get better with practice).
        Stop Sampling.

STEP4.
        The start of the sample is 0000000000.
        Go to the End of the Sample.
        Using the arrow buttons move back to positon 105840(exactly) and set this as the END (you can use Shift + the ARROW buttons to zoom in as well. you'll need to do this to get it exact and it's WAY faster)

That's it. your loop will be at the exact length you need. I can get this done in a minute or 2 now.

Now if you want, you can go in and clean it up by using the WAVE TRUNCATE feature. this just gets rid of the extra beat or 2 you sampled and frees up space.

I know it seems confusing but let me know if this helps, If not, I can try and explain further. but it works for any time signature at any length at any BPM.

Comment

• Kenster
          Kenster commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow what a joke for an awesome piece of equipment. Whatever happened to:
          Step 1: record clip
          Step 2: assign it to a pad
          Step 3: play

Man......

• Roving Drummer
          Roving Drummer commented
          Editing a comment
          It does seem like they could've made this a little easier. I'm still fairly new to roland products so I'm still hoping for an update. The seasoned vets seem to disagree. Lol.

• hairmetal-81
          hairmetal-81 commented
          Editing a comment
          He he ...he he he...

Oh boy... next thing you know, ROland will make us calculate Delay- and Reverb-times in milliseconds :eeek: ....

...and we're back at the dawning age of the EMT 250, the Lexicon 224 and other early digital units, and it's 1975 again...

*Helloooooo, seventies...*

thanks for reply, i'm very new to SPD-30 and SPD-SX .. so let me make it clear i'll have to plug the output from SPD-30 into the input/sampling of SPD-SX using stereo cable. Then create loops/phrases from SPD-30, play the loop/phrase from SPD-30 and start sampling into SPD-SX using your method above from Step1 - Step4? Thanks again.

Comment

• Roving Drummer
          Roving Drummer commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. I don't need samples in stereo so I just use the sdp30 left output into the left input on the SX. Use a non trs cable. Make sure it's not a stereo cable. Even if using both left and right. No trs cables.

one more question, can i adjust tempo on the fly on SPD-SX like on SPD-30? for example if i created one loop at 100bpm, then the band/singer start singing/playing a little faster than 100bpm like 105bpm, can I adjust the tempo on the fly when playing live on the SPD-SX? thanks.

Comment

• Roving Drummer
          Roving Drummer commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. I use this all the time. You don't want to make drastic changes like 100 to 150. 10 bpm up or down always works fine.

thanks Matt... I figured out how to create phrase/loops start/stop using external pad. One quick question, if I want to use SPD-30 only as stand-alone drumset and phrase/loop player. Is there anyway to turn-off phrase/loops start function on the pads of SPD-30? For example, i'd like to setup one chachacha phrase/loop for part 1 then use different drum kit on part 2 to play along with the phrase/loop but everytime i hit the pads on SPD-30, the phrase/loop start to play

Comment

You can. Go to MENU - SETUP - SETUP - HIT PAD START.

Set this value to DISABLE. I haven't done this, but according to the V2 update manual this is what you do.

Im going to mess around with mine this weekend. I use it almost everyday, but not these features.

Comment

if you have anymore tips, please let me know. Thanks. Also would like to know more about quantize function, i tried 8, 16 and some 24 but didn't turn out what i expected .

Comment

My only tip right now is based on the quantized function...if you're a drummer, don't use it. Play to the click. IMO drummers should never use quanizining.lol. Definatley play to the click. no disrespect.

Comment

i agreed with the quantized ... do you have any drumkit setup for SPD-30 to share? i'd like to setup some drumkit for modern rock [the final count down of Europ] and ballad type music [Brian Adam..] thanks.

Comment

used spd-30 live last night and use some loops/phrases using single trigger plugged into input 4 [ride/cymbal] to trigger the loop/phrase but sometime i hit the pd-100 next to this single trigger, it triggered start/stop i guess i need to re-set the trigger sensitivity

Comment

Ugh, I know your pain... Using loops live is the exact reason I got the SX soon after I got the 30. The spd30 is awesome for recording and writing, but live loops I just couldn't get it to work for my application. If you have the SX, why are you even trying to run loops with the 30? I know that step by step I did seems like a lot but it's not. Sampling onto the SX is easy once you get the hang of it. But making loopable waves on the unit itself is difficult to grasp I'll admit. I'll help out where I can.

Comment

saw this Alesis Samplepad, small, i like it b/c I can attach to my drum rack .. just wonder if this samplepad can play loops/phrase the same way SPD-SX ? if yes it would be perfect so i can use both SPD-30 for extra pad and this SamplePad to loops/phrase playing

Comment

I think I misunderstood your previous posts. I thought you already owned the SX(I would never try to persuade anyone to get one. you need to decide that yourself based on your needs). If you don't have one, then the samplepad will probably work for you. I've never played one. I know it has limitations(as does the SX) it's A LOT cheaper, that's for sure.

To follow suit with what we've been talking about tho, you cannot sample directly into the Alesis. You'll now need to record your spd30 loops onto a computer, edit them there, then load them into the samplepad. This will work. You can loop and one shot. I don't really know about the size of files you can use or how many you can have.

Comment

Working...
                        X