Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Roland TD-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Roland TD-4

Maybe I'm missing something here... I'm using a TD-4 with my DIY kit. My snare has a Quartz Cone head trigger and separate rim trigger. The head and rim play fine separately, but when I play a combined head/rim rimshot (like a rim shot on an acoustic snare) either the head or the rim cancels the other out and I get a weird "phasing" sound.

Is not being able to play the head AND rim at the same time a limitation of the TD-4?

Any ideas?
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    Roland TD-4, 2x CY-14C, CY-15R, VH-11, Pacific Chameleon DIY Kit, Ballistech II Heads, Quartz Cone Triggers, Superior Drummer 2.0

Look for Xstick in the doc -- it should tell you if cross sticking is available for a given pad/instrument combo.
    Last edited by jonm42; 02-17-14, 09:48 AM.
    TD-30++ (TD-30, Diamond Electronic Drums 14x5 snare+Ludwig Atlas Pro II, 2xPDX-8, 2xPDX-6, VH-11+Gibraltar 9607DL-LD, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, KT-10) + DA200S, almost all on an MDS-4 and a bit on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by jonm42 View Post
      Look for Xstick in the doc -- it should tell you if cross sticking is available for a given pad/instrument combo.
      XStick is available for the Snare pad. I'm not looking to play cross sticks, just rimshots (head/rim combination). I can trigger a rimshot sound from the rim ONLY. But when try and play a combination head/rim rimshot the head trigger cancels out the rim. Thoughts?

*I currently have XStick OFF in the Mixer setting.
      Roland TD-4, 2x CY-14C, CY-15R, VH-11, Pacific Chameleon DIY Kit, Ballistech II Heads, Quartz Cone Triggers, Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

You could try increasing Rim Adjust (Page 44), but that's just the way it is with all Roland modules.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
          You could try increasing Rim Adjust (Page 44), but that's just the way it is with all Roland modules.

Bruce
          Thanks Bruce. So to clarify my question a little... When I play a Rimshot (head and rim) on the snare, should I only be hearing 1 sample - the Rim Shot sample? Or should I be hearing both the Head sample AND the Rim Shot sample?

What's strange is in the TD-4 Manual, the "Performance Techniques" shows Rim Shots triggered by only the Rim. However, in the TD-3 and TD-9 Manual Rim Shots are triggered by playing both the Head and Rim - like you would an acoustic drum. Why would Roland omit this in the TD-4 (assuming they did)? Help??
          Last edited by drummereef; 02-17-14, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X