Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy an amp that can last more then 4 months..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy an amp that can last more then 4 months..

I have a Roland TD-11K V-Drums V-Compact Series set and I like to play gigs with it but I need something that will last. Please do not say Simmons. I have a thread about that experience in "products forum" .Simmons DA200S was the worst quality gear I ever bought. I think Simmons translates to "Mattel or Hasbro"in English. I play mostly covers ,The band I am in isn't a loud ear piercing machine. I want clear sound and durability . Please give suggestions.
    Last edited by BarT; 02-18-14, 09:31 AM.

I use a mackie DLM PA (2 x 12" satellites plus a sub). It's plenty loud enough to overpower marshall guitar stacks etc (without the sub). The 3 bands I've played with using it have been blown away by the big sound from the very compact speakers. The other option i looked at was the yamaha dxr series very nice. The swinging point for me was the weight difference. Both of these options aren't as cheap as the simmons / behringers etc but you're getting quality that will last.

I always wonder why people spend thousands on a quality e-kit and then run through a "$100 amp"...it's like buying a Ferrari and then putting $50 retread tyres on the wheels...

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Originally posted by campster View Post
      I always wonder why people spend thousands on a quality e-kit and then run through a "$100 amp"...it's like buying a Ferrari and then putting $50 retread tyres on the wheels...
      This.
      Greetings from Switzerland,
      - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by campster View Post
        As someone who did buy a multi-thousand dollar kit and uses a $250 amp, I think its not 100% fair to compair it to the Ferrari with re-treads. My reasoning for the cheap amp was because I didnt intend to use it much, and after almost 2 years, I have really only used it a handful of times, and only for fun when I have friends over. A Ferrari with re-treads would be forced to use those re-treads all the time. I mostly play with headphones, so the amp was never really an item I wanted to spend much money on. If I were gigging, it would have played a much larger roll in my budgeting, and probably would have meant I would get a used TD-20 instead of a new TD-30KV.
        I think my work is done here.

Comment

What's your budget and intended use? If I were in the market, I'd be looking at the Bose systems; but that's me. I''ve got deep desires. (lol)

I've had some experience with Bose in the live setup, and they are amazing for the money. I was actually looking at two of their Model 2 systems for a small band. That's big bucks, though.
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
            My reasoning for the cheap amp was because I didnt intend to use it much, and after almost 2 years, I have really only used it a handful of times, and only for fun when I have friends over.

I think this was not campster's point. You did your purchase with good reason, meaning you didn't expect to much from it, yet - as a surprise or not - it performed well and you've got satifaction out of your purchase (...when you used it ...sparingly)

The way *I* take the part of said comment, is that a certain group of folks tend to expect too much out of a cheap amp. Probably because they are beginners, not yet enough informed, or they did not calculate everything though and through, not reckoning that they should budget-in monitoring that's a certain percentage of the price they've paid for their kit (...like 30 or 40 or whatever percent).

Hence they don't show much reasoning in this regard - but they should! And I interpret these sentences in this way, as to make a resonable decision, well-informed before purchasing, to calculate in at least double of your module's price for a good speaker system, because else, if your amplification don't give you the 'oomph' you'd expected - or worse it craps out on you after only a few months - you end up being disappointed.

...and that's not what we want to see ...that's not the general idea, here...!

- Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I have the older Roland PM-30 and it is pretty good...but pricey. I didn't know much about this concept when I ordered the PM-30 with my TD-9KX2.

Nowadays, I rarely use the PM-30, and instead I use the combination of an EV ELX115P (15" powered top) with a JBL PRX618S (18" powered sub). It didn't seem right to pair the TD-30KV with the PM-30. I'm pretty darn happy with the new monitoring set-up.
              eKit (TD-30KV): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...y-s-drums-td39
              aKit: (Tama Starclassic): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/acoustic...ma-starclassic
              TD30Browser: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...4-td30-browser

Comment

Got it in one HM - it's all about fit for purpose and expectation setting. With the analogy I used - Retreads ain't going to perform on a Ferrari (assuming you drive it like a sports car).

The OP mentioned he's using the amp for a band situation where you have high volumes for sustained periods of time. Cheaper equipment is, as the OP has experienced, unlikely to stand up to the rigors of this kind of usage.

There's nothing wrong with a cheap amp if it's fit for purpose (ie. irregular usage / practice at home / lower sustained volume levels).

I personally use a mix of options to hear my kit. I have professional in ear monitors for playing gigs, a reasonable set of cans for practice/rehearsals and a quality PA (for gigs - FOH / foldback depending on the venue).

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

You prob need to get into the more expensive powered loud speakers that DJs use. I use two QSC powered K12 loud speakers and they sound awesome live! Really don't even need a sub but it would be even better. They aren't cheap though. JBL EONs are a good option as well.
                  - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
                  - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

MY YOU TUBE DRUM COVER CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/gregthegroove

Comment

• BWaj
                    BWaj commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed on the K12's, I love em. They sound much better than Eon's, imo.

I heard so much about the Simmons you can't find many bad reviews on them (enless you read mine).It sounded awsome for the few short months it lasted. I paid a grand for the kit and 350 for the amp. You'd think I'd get aleast 6 months outta it. I heard i could use a key board amp or a bass amp..I am looking to keep under 500.00

Comment

• BWaj
                    BWaj commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I produce corporate events as my main job since I hung up playing full time. We use the baddest equipment on earth and the QSC K12's rival much more expensive boxes, imo. They have many cool features making them very versatile and are very cost effective for the sound.

Used I've seen them as low as $550 but I picked one up new with a 3 year warranty for $675 from this place, http://www.proaudiostar.com/qsc-k12-...er.html#videos

They also have a few used ones but you don't save enough to make it worth while. They are 1000 watts and sound great. If you type in their chat window and ask for their best price, they'll drop way below the $850 list price. This assumes you are in the US of course.

I'd stay away from the plastic boxes like Eon's but JBL has really nice higher end stuff for a little more than the QSC's. Problem with the plastic cheapo speakers is the low/mid end is muddy and they get scratched up very easily.

I run my ekit plus guitars through mine live and it's very clear and plenty loud. I used to use two 15" x2" Eon style wedges and just one K12 blows them away.

Just my opinion.

I second a few suggestions here.

The JBL Eons are workhorses, and fits your budget.
                  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...red-pa-speaker

Lots of good reviews about the Mackie SRM450 as well.
                  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...pa-loudspeaker

EV also has one in your price range:
                  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...r#youTubeVideo

DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                  Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

• BWaj
                    BWaj commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do check out the K12, it's so worth the extra $200 bucks over those guys, imo.

For what it's worth,Roland and QSC Audio Products, LLC have announced a new marketing partnership, showcasing the pairing of V-Drums and K Series amplification as a total solution.
                  Extremely responsive electronic drums need a very unique kind of stage amplification that is accurate, has wide bandwidth, and is capable of keeping up with guitar amps and other amplified instruments.
                  See: http://digitaldrummermag.com/NEWS.html
                  . digitalDrummer
                  Review index

Comment

I use 2 Eon JBL G2 Powered 15" and a horn wedges and they work day in day out, sound great and aren't too heavy for the lugs. Sometimes I use 3 of them. they have a small four channel mixer built in to each wedge so you can use them a lot of different ways, very versatile
                    JBL Speakers have always been a very dependable product over the years for me.
                    NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Originally posted by sevanace View Post
                      I heard so much about the Simmons you can't find many bad reviews on them (enless you read mine).It sounded awsome for the few short months it lasted.
                      This my friend is probably just a (very unfortunate) case of your good, old friend 'Bad Luck'... - nothing less, nothing more.

As for using a bass amp with edrums: I tend to discourage people from doing this, not neccesarily because of 'watts' or 'power ratings', but mostly because you'll want to make sure you have a nice, smooth high-end, that can adequately amplify/reproduce the sound of your module's cymbals!

'Fit-for-purpose', remember...?
                      - Dänoh

Comment

this is the only thing in your price range I can think of when they become available in the UK I will buy one to test out.
                        Behringer 700W 4-Ch PA System/Keyboard Amp With 15" Speaker

Comment

Working...
                        X