Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOOMing Floor Tom - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOMing Floor Tom - help!

Hi All - I am new here and new to e-drumming in general. I am actually a bass player - but have always wanted to be a drummer - it only took me 25 years to buy my first kit!

Sorry for the length of this first post - but I want to make sure you have the details to be able to help me out

I am building a jam room in my basement so I recently picked up a used Yamaha DTX700. After much research (on this forum - which is great) I am planning on buying a Powered monitor for practice but also jamming with a full-band. The monitor will never leave the house. The room is fairly big (20' x 20') - with fairly low ceilings (7.5 feet)

I need something that would also work for future PA expansion. I will only ever have vocals and drums through the PA. I will start with one monitor for now, and add a second sometime in the future. I really don't want to have to add a Sub as well.

I have been leaning towards the Yamaha DXR series - either 115 or 112 - I have heard great reviews, its powerful with a built in mixer - plus I am kind of loyal to the brand. However, there's no place close to my house to try one out and I needed amplification asap.

So I rented a Yorkville Sound NX55P (112, 550 watts) - which is similar to the Yamaha in specs and price. The idea was to see how it would sound, how much wattage I need and to get an idea of whether I truly need a 115 over a 112 in my basement jam room.

Well, everything sounds really good with the exception of the floor tom. The Kick is a nice solid THUD, the snare, cymbals and toms all sound like they should (to my ears) - its loud - my wife and kids were telling me to turn it down - its just the Floor Tom.

Whenever I hit it there is so much reverb coming through that the speaker just sounds boomy and kind of farts out. Especially if I start playing a beat that involves a lot of Floor Tom - think Larry Mullen Jr. kind of beats. The reverb just shakes the whole speaker. Even my wife was saying it sounds like s%#t and to stop hitting it because it was bugging her.

So...is that normal? Is it the speaker? Would a 15 handle it better? Is it the settings on my Floor Tom?

I went through 5 or 6 different Kits on the module and they all have the same outcome. Any help, opinions or advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

I would adjust the sensitivity settings on the floor tom first and then if you have to muffle it a little inside the shell, if the settings don't cure it. I would think that all the drums would be stupid loud if it were the drums, not just the one floor tom

Comment

It sounds to me, just by shear chance... your floor tom is resonating at the perfect frequency for your room size and/or speakers.

You could try cure this in a number of ways I recon; You could raise or lower the note of your tom, or if your module allows; you could EQ a low frequency cut, or add dampening to stop it ringing out as much, or even simply lower the volume failing that.

On the expensive side, you could add physical dampening to your room, in the form of large sound absorbing panels, which you hang on the wall like picture frames. Or invest in a new monitor system completely.

You really should consider getting a sub for a vdrum setup though, it does wonders if you can seperate the lows from stereo speakers. - It reduces the strain put on the satellites so you get clearer highs and vocals. Bass is omnidirectional anyway - you don't need it to be pointing right at you like a stereo field.
      You're be able to control the bass easier with a 2.1 setup as well, you could put it in the perfect placement to minimize resonance and rattles rather than having to fight with 2 sources of bass while also having to keep good stereo.

Two good value 2.1 PAs to consider from small rooms; Roland CM-220 with 10" sub, and the HK Audio Lucas Nano 300 with 8" sub both are 200W systems.
      Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 02-11-14, 01:01 PM.
      ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ 2box DrumIt 5 MKII
      ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
      PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

• hemiboy
        hemiboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had assumed that you would have separately dropped the volume on the floor tom when you addressed the settings The room sound proofing obviously is a more drastic fix for this problem but I don't think it will be necessary

• hemiboy
        hemiboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had assumed that you would have separately dropped the volume on the floor tom when you addressed the settings The room sound proofing obviously is a more drastic fix for this problem but I don't think it will be necessary. If it comes to that you got great advice from Kabonfaiba

Hmmm...not sure about the advice of muffling INSIDE the drum shell...these are electronic drums right?

This definitely sounds like a settings issue. There are so many to choose from!

MODULE...just because you went thru 5 or 6 kits does NOT mean they are ALL DIFFERENT toms. I play on an older DTX and it seems like all 40 kits are the exact same. Try a truly different drum or two.

PA...EQ is your FRIEND....as was suggested, that one frequency might be a culprit here..EQ it out.

Speaker placement....depending on their facing and such, can make enough of a difference. If we were talking subwoofer that would be harder since bass travels all over.

SPEAKERS.....does it do the same in both? One speaker might not be working properly, or they're out of phase, etc etc. Eliminate that issue as well.

Module SETTINGS...check the universal settings (if there is such a thing, I'm not up to speed on Yamaha modules) and make sure something isn't set amiss, ie: the settings for that drum are way different than the rack toms)

Keep at it and I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Welcome to the forums, post some pics and have fun!
      K ;-)
      My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
      E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
      A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
      A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post

Two good value 2.1 PAs to consider from small rooms; Roland CM-220 with 10" sub, and the HK Audio Lucas Nano 300 with 8" sub both are 200W systems.
        Thanks all for the feedback - still working on it and don't have a solution just yet except, to use the LF Roll-off - which unfortunately makes the kick drum sound weak.

In regards to the advice from Kabonfaiba about the CM-220 - I really didn't think this setup could handle a full band rock jam - which is why I am on the path I am on.

Would love to hear from someone that uses this with at least one guitar, bass and vocals and how it stands up.

Comment

Working...
        X