Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha campatible 2-3 zone triggers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha campatible 2-3 zone triggers?

Hello!
    I've been looking to start an A2E-conversion and I thought I'd go with a drum module and cymbals from Yamaha since I'm on a fairly tight budget.
    I thought I'd go with Triggera Intriggs but then I read that they don't work as dual zone triggers while connected to a Yamaha module since Yamaha uses the piezo/switch combination for their multizone pads/cymbals?
    So Imma need a multizone trigger that'll work with a Yamaha module for the snare-trigger. I can live with singlezone toms, that's no problem since I'll probable split the tom-outputs to add more stuff to my kit. But I want a snare that's at least dual-zone.

Any thoughts?

//Mike.

There are no commercially available dual zone triggers. The only way to get the THREE-zone snare is buying a silicon pad from Yamaha. Expensive at 375 to 400 a piece.

You could use a splitter on one of the tom inputs and use a piezo stuck under some sort of bar, or get something like the crappytrigger bar, hart hammer or Roland BT-1.

Otherwise, you will have to DIY a piezo/switch trigger to get that 2-zone snare.

Check out my thread... it's simple enough:
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...re-from-cymbal
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by NielJohn22
      Thank you very much for sharing this information. I like this side. Its really a great article. So please give me some important information about this side.
      Sounds like a spammer to me

Frankly, there are better modules for A2E ...
      electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

• perceval
        perceval commented
        Editing a comment
        Designing a switch is a bit more work than sticking a piezo on the shell, but it's not that complicated either.

• perceval
        perceval commented
        Editing a comment
        Designing a switch is a bit more work than sticking a piezo on the shell, but it's not that complicated either.

• TheYardbird
        TheYardbird commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I know, but I can't really afford a Roland or a 2box module without eating nothing but air and drinking nothing but preten-water for a couple of months. I don't have a job because of lifelong illness so I don't get any impressive amount of money each month. Do you think something like an old Roland module like the TD-3 or TD-6 would work better? I'm not really picky when it comes to the onboard sounds since I'll probably use a VST instead. But I want at least a 2 zone snare, at least one 2 zone crash and a 3 zone ride. I have no need for multizoned toms and I can save up money to buy a Roland BT-1 or something to add a 3rd zone at the snare if that's the case.

Originally posted by NielJohn22
      NielJohn22.
      *reported as Spam*
      Greetings from Switzerland,
      - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

What was the workings of a 'Keith Raper-circuit' again...? - piezo/piezo pad on a piezo/switch input...?

...does that work for dual zone triggers, both external and internal...?
        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Hmm.. Oh well, but what if I would keep my old DM5 module to use for the toms and then get a Alesis Trigger IO plug the cymbals and snare into? I know the Trigger IO only supports dual-zone cymbals/pads but I read that I can use triple-zone cymbals/pads by using two of the outputs on the Trigger IO wich means that I could have like 5 triple-zoned cymbals if I wanted to? Yes I know the Alesis stuff only has like closed/half-open/open hi-hat sounds and all that, but I could still get a pretty decent setup, right?

Comment

The KR circuit is hard to make it work perfectly. Did you read my thread? It's not that difficult to come up with a dual zone snare. Otherwise, if you could manage to find a second hand td4, I think that would be much better than an Alesis I/O.
            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I'm currently looking at an A2E conversion myself. I'm thinking about getting a DTX502 (and some Yamaha cymbals). According to the owner's manual, 4 of the inputs (kick and toms x3) are compatible with dual piezo pads/triggers. I'm only looking to build a 4 piece set, so I should be able to get a 2 zone snare by using a tom input. If this is the case, Intriggs will work for you, but only if you pick up a DTX502. I believe all of the other Yamaha modules are only piezo/switch. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this could hopefully be the best price to performance angle for anyone.
              Yamaha DTX502 module, Gretsch/Tama shells (K18"/S14"/HT12"/FT14"), 682Drums white mesh heads, Triggera Intrigg triggers, RHH135, PCY155, PCY135 x2, Pearl Eliminator single pedal, and an assortment of hardware and muffling

Comment

• perceval
                perceval commented
                Editing a comment
                The only odd ball in yamaha's lineup is the dtx700. Only 2 inputs are piezo/piezo. The rest are all piezo/switch. The dtx500-502-900 all have more dual piezo inputs. Guess which one I got!

As perceval suggested, a used td4 (or even td3) could be a great choice for an easy and cheap A2E kit. Especially, if you're not interested in module sounds (vst) ...
              electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

Jist for triggering VST's you might as well go the Megadrum route!
                - Dänoh

Comment

• perceval
                  perceval commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a module that was midi to VST only at first. Now, with my Yamaha module, I enjoy when I sometimes just plug along a MP3 player and use module sounds for quick practice or 1 or 2 songs play along when I only have a few minutes of playing time. Calibration is also easier with a module, compared to the megadrum. But, for one who is inclined to spend a good portion of time into tweaking settings, the megadrum can be very good.

• CattiestPenny
                  CattiestPenny commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm thinking like perceval. I'd like a simple module for quick "plug and play" sessions, but with robust MIDI capabilities for VSTs. Add to that my location (US) and lack of handiness, and the DTX502 seems to win out over the Megadrum for me. MIDI over USB from a new module seems like a no-brainer. Now if I can just get some reliable information on its piezo/piezo dual zone inputs...

• deathbyart
                  deathbyart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perceval, this sounds like the exact route I am going. I take it your happy with it? I already have the MegaDrum, so I was thinking of having an easy backup for days I am not in the mood to deal with the configure tool.

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                Jist for triggering VST's you might as well go the Megadrum route!
                I talked with the guy at Megadrums, and a module that can handle a kit with kick, snare, 4 toms, 3 crashes, 1 ride, splash, china and hi-hat and still have 2 outputs left would cost me about the same as a used Yamaha DTXpress 4 module from eBay or Amazon.
                Sure it's alot of work getting it to work properly with all the gain levels and bla bla bla, but it's still cheap for a module with that capacity, the 2box module for example would cost me about 4x as much.

And according to Dmitri at Megadrum then ''MegaDrum supports both Yamaha and Roland 3 zone cymbals on all inputs. Of course Yamaha is better since they occupy only one stereo jack each.'' Wich means I could have a sh*tload of 3 zone cymbals and pads (just need to find the right triggers for the snare and toms ofc).

Thought I'd go with Triggera Intriggs on the snare and toms and then either a Krigg or just a simple Redshot trigger on the bassdrum.

Comment

Well...its not really a module...its just a TMI...so...comparing the price to 2Box without including the cost of all the other gear you need for it like pc...and interface is not really a fair comparison.
                  Last edited by fulrmr(Daniel); 02-03-14, 04:56 PM.
                  8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                  http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

So the DTX500 module has some piezo/piezo inputs? Well then there's no need in going through all the troubles of a Megadrum module of I can just find a Yamaha 500-something module around here or at least one that ships to Sweden. The only thing I really want multi-zone except the cymbals is the snare.

Comment

Yes, exactly.
                      On the DTX500 all the tom inputs (2 to 4) can be split using a Y-cable, i.e. inputs '2 Tom (1/10)', '3 (Tom 2/11)' and '4 Tom (3/12)'.

Also on most Yamaha modules you can split the 'Kick' input. In case of the DTX500, this is input '8 Kick/9'.
                      This is valid not only for the DTX500, but for its predecessor (the DTXpress 4), and its successor (the 502), too!
                      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 02-03-14, 08:12 PM.
                      - Dänoh

Comment

So would the Intrigg give me a dualzoned snare if I use it with a DTX 500 module? Since people say the 500 module has a couple of piezo/piezo inputs then it should work, right? I don't care if my toms are single zoned, it's the snare and as many of the cymbals as possible I want multizoned.

Comment

Working...
                        X