Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing PD-125xs Foam Cone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing PD-125xs Foam Cone

Hello...
    I'm replacing the head and foam cone on my snare.
    I pulled the cone from the trigger and there is, obviously, a thin layer of glue/foam left on the trigger.
    Is it safe to just scrape that layer off?
    Should I just leave it and put the new cone on top of it?
    Is there some solution that should be used to remove the layer?
    Etc...
    Thanks for the help.
    JJ

When you say you are replacing the foam, are you replacing the piezo as well, or just the foam cone and the piezo is being re-used?
    I think my work is done here.

Comment

Foam cone and head.
      Piezo is original.
      JJ

Comment

I wouldnt recommend scraping off the goo. It could damage the piezo, not that those are very expensive, but no point in replacing it if it works just fine. You are probably just fine using some Goo Gone to clean off the remainder of the foam tape.
        I think my work is done here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
          I wouldnt recommend scraping off the goo. It could damage the piezo, not that those are very expensive, but no point in replacing it if it works just fine. You are probably just fine using some Goo Gone to clean off the remainder of the foam tape.
          Or gently heat the top of the piezo with a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting being careful. Then gently (emphasis on gently) lift off the excess 2 sided tape. If I am replacing a foam cone like this I normally would heat the base of the foam first because the heat will soften the adhesive .... then lift up and remove the foam. Since the OP already removed the foam cone it is a little trickier. If there is just a little film left on the piezo and it doesn't have bits of foam stuck to it, you might be better off leaving it and sticking the new foam as is. Piezos are delicate and it is easy to crack the ceramic, so be gentle either way. J
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
          X