Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is best to begin : TD-15K or TD-15KV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best to begin : TD-15K or TD-15KV

Hello everyone !

I am completely new to the world of edrum. I am willing to learn this intrument (drums in general). But i need some equipment.

I have already spent some times looking at different products. First I wanted to buy someting very simple (TD-11k) but after hours of reading I am willing to invest a bit more sothat I could keep my material a bit longer.

I finally stopped my choice bewteen the 15k and the 15kv.

My objective is, with the time, to have a "real" hi-hat, 4 toms, 2 crash and 1 ride.

If I start with a 15k, I will have the possiblity to expand to that final config. BUT if I begin with the 15kv, the pads will be better and the hi-hat would directly be included. Of course the entry price is not the same !

What would you recommend ? I wil mostly play to learn an practice at home.

Thank you for your feedback and advice !

Kind regards,

Len

Hello len73, welcome to the vdrums forum!

Long story short; you get what you pay for. Buy the best module you can afford, and buy your 2nd drum kit first!

Specifically about the Roland TD15 vs TD11, I much preferred the pads on the TD-15KV (PDX-100, PD-85BK) than the pads you get on the TD-11KV (PDX-8, PDX-6) with the white plastic inner rims. There isn't a drastic performance difference between the pads, both are very sensitive. The PDX-8's will still trigger if you hit the inner rim, however you will hear the unmistakable sound of a drum stick against plastic if you miss a hit. This isn't a problem on the pads you get with the TD-15KV, not only will you benefit from a larger playing area, it just felt much nicer to play to me, and more professional looking I suppose too. Worth the extra cash, the whole drum kit and rack is larger overall.

As you know, you also get the very cool VH-11 Hihat with the 15KV, which is almost worth the extra cost on it's own.

People have said before, you will not find a better value package than the VH-11, it's definitively worth the cost to get ANY moving hi-hat on your edrum kit, and Roland makes the best electronic hi-hats out there. The only problem is that you need a Roland module to make it work, and all hi-hats are tied to their respective brands in some way, unless you are a modding guru.

It's actually quite a foreign experience making a leap from a non-moving hi-hat to a moving playing surface, it's really fun and it will definitely help your transition too (and from) real acoustic hi-hats. as well as greatly helping with you're expressibility as a drummer. On the subject of cymbals, you'll want to avoid the cheaper Roland cymbals and start with models CY-12 and upwards, same story as above, it's just more professional.

Saying all that, the cost of the TD-15KV package puts it in direct competition with 2box kit. If you don't know what 2box is, look it up and see how it suits you. I have to say, given an impartial vote, I would be purchasing the Jobeky 2box kit instead if I had the money for a brand new TD-15KV. The compromises are tipped in favor of 2box for considerably less cash. Although, being "completely new" the training tools available on Roland sets are invaluable as well. You have to decide what's more important for yourself at the end of the day.

The only other opionion would be to try find a used Roland kit - an old TD9, TD12 or TD20, anything with a VH-11 or VH-12 hi-hat, for less than the cost of a brand new 15KV, that would be a good deal too.

Hope that helps!
    Jobeky Drums Jobeky 2Box Standard Electronic Complete Drum Kit [Jobeky standard 2box] - We at Jobeky pride our self by giving you the best electronic drums on the planet but also affordable! Our new STANDARD range gives you this plus more! The Standard range is fitted with our ERT triggering system and comes with 2ply mesh heads! Fully responsive across each drum without
    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ 2box DrumIt 5 MKII
    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Comment

Hmm okay, let me rephrase a bit. The VH-11 isn't super important to learn how to play, after all, you can use practice pads in the right positions to "learn" how to play the drums. It's just that the VH-11 is closer to a real hi-hat than FD-8.

I'm sure there are people out there who have mastered
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ 2box DrumIt 5 MKII
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Welcome to the forum, len!

If you looking at a 15KV, the hihat stand should be included, so no need to worry about an additional hihat-stand. Same with the 2box Drumit-Five that's roughly in the same price-range as the KV.

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-04-14, 05:00 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I do not think many places include a HH stand with the 15kv they might but the price will be higher or it will be a promo sub-standard stand.
            I think you would get a lot of enjoyment from a 15KV and agree with Kbonfaiba totally.
            Don't forget to figure in the price a HH stand and a kick pedal.
            I have personally have not played a 2 box I hear they are fine.
            You might want to read on these forums about the use of midi in on the modules and what it can do for you as HM said above. It may or may not make a difference to you for quite some time.
            Also read as much as you can find regarding 2-box.
            Good luck, and welcome to the forums.
            "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Hi Len, welcome to drumming. Because I have been all thru Roland's products , I feel qualified to make this comment. Buy a 2 Box kit and don't ever look back l!

Comment

The hi-hat stand was not included with my TD-15KV. I found it was definitely worth the extra cost for the hi-hat alone though, and I had a spare stand lying around (but you can pick the hi-hat stands up cheaply, even second hand).
                Kaiju
                Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

[.....]

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-04-14, 04:57 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Most pictures show them with the pedals/stand, but they generally (at least here) retail without them. They show a full drum setup, which isn't what you buy.
                  Kaiju
                  Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

That's absolutely correct Oenone ! Here in Switzerland too you should buy both separately.

Thank you for all your comments ! Highly appreciated.

One more question : what do you think about the package Roland DAP 3X

It includes a hocker, bassdrum pedal and a pair of sticks. Worth it or better served by separates (Tama for example...)

Thanks again for your precious comments !

Have a nice Sunday...

Len

Comment

Personally I'd buy them separately. I don't know how prices compare, but I'd rather choose exactly what I want. The throne is something I'm having a hard time deciding on now. I can't play for long at a time without my back getting sore. A good seat is going to make a massive difference. I don't know what that one is like, but if you can try it out first do so.

I use different sticks myself, it depends on what you prefer though.

There's also a big difference between pedals. You want a good quality one (once again, not saying that that isn't, I've just never tried it). I've gone through several before I found one that I didn't destroy quickly. Maybe that's just me terrible playing though!

In the end, if you're happy with the quality of all three things, and it's a good price, go for it. If you're not sure try them all out individually first (if possible).
                      Kaiju

Comment

I would buy separately you want to make sure the center rod of the HH stand does not spin around freely with the vh11 on it.
                        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Me again... I just had m'y first drum lesson this week. Really about to fall in love with this instrument... I have another question : would you consider buying a td 30k as inappropriate for a beginner ? Would you advice me to stick to the td 15kv instead ? Thank you for your feed-back and help. Len

Comment

Well, we use to always say 'Get the most module you can afford'!

Just make sure you really want to invest the time neccesary to learn all the functions, navigation 'round the module, the whole in's and out's.... before you make the purchase!

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 03-04-14, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X