Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha announces new DTX502 module at NAMM 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha announces new DTX502 module at NAMM 2014

Found this just now at usa.yamaha.com > News & Events > Drums:
    DTX502 electronic drums at the 2014 NAMM Show. Based on the award-winning DTX-PAD, the new kits feature numerous innovations, including redesigned tom pads, a lighter-weight steel rack, a laser-enhanced playing experience and a brand new drum trigger module that is more powerful than anything in its class.
    The DTX502 drum trigger module includes 691 professional and expressive sounds featuring new drum and cymbal voices, along with upgraded versions of classic Yamaha acoustic drums. The system lets drummers easily customize their sound with editing and voice layering and offers the ability to import new drum samples into the module for virtually endless sonic capabilities. A built-in sequencer provides a wide variety of songs to play along with and record performances. It also includes the ability to load new MIDI song files for further expandability.
    During the development phase, Yamaha created proprietary laser technology to analyze drum strokes and precisely tune the trigger settings, so that the playing experience on each of these sets provides a more natural feel. The new series also includes advanced features from higher-end DTX models, such as cymbal muting, natural swells and smoother snare drum rolls.
    "The DTX502 series kits need to be played and heard to be fully appreciated," said Steven Fisher, marketing manager, Electronic Drums, Yamaha Corporation of America. "They also have unique features not found on any other electronic drum sets in their price range, such as sound layering, sample import and the Groove Tools interactive training exercises."
    The new DTX502 module has a streamlined front panel layout and features plug and play USB connectivity to a computer. The new design allows the DTX502 to be easily mounted to acoustic drum hardware using a standard multi-clamp (such as the Yamaha CSAT924A) for use in a hybrid acoustic-electronic drum set.

- More reading at this page on their site.

I think your picture is misleading...
    That picture already made its circles during Musikmesse 2013! I'm not even 100 percent sure if I'm not seeing the older DTX-500 in there...

Anyway - what we're really, really waiting for, is finally updated versions for the aging DTX-700 and DTX-900 modules. Temporarily, we have agreed on the terms (...I think Jovato started this...)DTX '702' and '902', respectively, for the hopefully soon to be annouced, upper-range successors!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Yes it could be, though this is the picture that Yamaha supplied with the article. I copied the pic with the article from Yamaha's web page at usa.yamaha.com > News & Events > Drums:
      But yes it is strange given that the 502 is their latest released module. You'd think that they would have released updates to the 700 and 900 modules before revamping the 502.

Comment

I think the headline is a bit misleading. I believe that the DTX502 is the same one that was released last year but they are now featuring it at this years NAMM. Remember they didn't announce the 502 until Musikmesse last year so it wasn't at NAMM 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Swainy View Post
          Yes it could be, though this is the picture that Yamaha supplied with the article. I copied the pic with the article from Yamaha's web page at> News & Events > Drums:
          But yes it is strange given that the 502 is their latest released module. You'd think that they would have released updates to the 700 and 900 modules before revamping the 502.
          It seems this time, they started from the bottom-end upwards!

Followed your link ...the small, but important difference seems to be the word 'featuring'... - as in: the kit was there before, and they will feature it (exhibit it) during NAMM, not announcing it as new!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I think the little 502 is a killer deal. When my 2box module sells, I will be replacing it with the 502. The onboard sounds are "meh" but the midi over USB and available settings make it a no brainer for a midi to trigger interface for use with a computer/laptop with VST software. I too am anxious to see what changes occur with the 7xx and 9xx series.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, Chris!

Comment

Can't half tell I'm a bit of a newb' hey
                So the 502 has had this "laser technology" all along then?
                And this is the same unchanged module that it has always been then?
                Because the next thing I was wondering was how do you tell the difference between this "new" one and the old one but they are one and the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Swainy View Post
                  (...) I was wondering was how do you tell the difference between this "new" one and the old one but they are one and the same?
                  I will just redirect you to the following post for comparison purposes:
                  http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...800#post833800

HTH

Comment

Ah that clears it all up. Thanks Danoh.
                    They tricked me. Originally I thought that they'd taken the original 502 module and made some changes/ improvements to it, but it's not looking like it.
                    Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X