Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How was Namm 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was Namm 2014

Hey guys that were lucky enough to get to Namm! What was new from , Roland? Other than noise eater pedal pads and the tm-2 acoustic hybrid module? Anything new with the td 30? I hear yammie came out with a new 502 module and maybe the kit too? Anything up in the 900, 950 series? I heard 2 box was represented there a little stronger and introduced some other wild loud colors? I don't know if they had anything new with modules or changes in last year module? Tell us all about it. I was wishing I could make it, but had family commitments that turned out to be a lot of fun, so I can't complain much, or can I ?

No new TD-30, but all the products released as part of ROland Connect '14...

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...710#post976710

...and the rumoured new range of Grooveboxes, Voice Processors (...and possibly a revamped 303-BassLine synthesizer...)

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...043#post977043

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...049#post977049

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...476#post977476

And of course the TM-2:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...et-s-talk-tm-2

HTH

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 01-25-14, 08:52 AM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

NAMM was GREAT for us. Pintech actually won a "Best in Show" award for "Company to Watch" - We featured our new $799.99 drum kit, our updated A2E conversion kit and more. There are a lot of cool stuff 'in the works' for some other companies as well. We worked with KAT on a few things for their new kit, and although they don't have it perfected yet, I think they are on the right track. I didn't really see anything else that really stood out - a LOT of prototypes with no launch dates or pricing.

Comment

This sucks! Vb5 SUCKS! I wrote a whole paragraph, then two crashes,..GONE. Then started again. After one sentence, crash, gone. #1 reason why so many folks aren't even posting anymore.

I will write a full NAMM review of MY OPINIONS and some factual accounts when I get some time.

Saw the Pintech stuff, looked impressive.

2Box was a frickin joke. Shame really since it's a great product. They had their same little corner section of Tama, had two different colored tom pads on display, not hooked up to anything, as new color choices. I would definitely disagree and NOT say they were more strongly represented this year. Maybe Allan had better luck as a reporter/magazine editor/owner.

Over 3 days I purposefully walked by there, I saw a retail employee (that's what his badge said) just woodshedding away, NOT engaging anyone, NOT talking to anyone, even while I was standing there with a frickin BUYER badge on my neck. One day I saw a different guy, wasn't sure what his badge said, might have been an "artist" badge, and again, whaling away, NOT talking to anyone, NOT engaging anyone. Usually at a display like this, the demo person plays for a bit, talks about features and this and that, answers questions, plays some more, offers others to play, etc etc. If they are purely the demo person, then there's usually a suited person standing there talking, spieling, selling, engaging, etc etc. Since I didn't see that even ONCE in 3 days of looking, I call that a dismal failure. Just my opinion mind you, but, the facts are, I never saw a suit, never had anyone even try to talk to me or offer me a chance to play. These two guys coulda cared less and were lost in their own little world. Sorry.

K ;-)
        Last edited by Kenster; 01-28-14, 01:04 PM.
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

• allanjohn
          allanjohn commented
          Editing a comment
          I have started using my text pad to write posts - and then copy and paste so I don't lose my work>

• csnow
          csnow commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought the 2box video that was posted was pretty lame too. Some of the stock kits sound really good and that mix was horrific. You could barely hear the drums over that awful techno music he was playing to. Not sure if that was an official video or not but it didn't do 2box any favors. I agree about the new forum. It is very painful to use. This website seems to have lost a lot of users. It is the same 5-10 people posting. Once you lose members, it is very difficult to get them back. This upgrade was costly.

• fulrmr(Daniel)
          fulrmr(Daniel) commented
          Editing a comment
          I concur about the 2Box vid...the backing track was obnoxiously too far up front in the mix to tell much about the drums themselves.

Anybody seen the http://www.aerodrums.com ?
        TD-11 with 1xPDX 100 and 2x 12" drum-tec Diabolo pads, VH-11, CY 15R, CY-8 + various VSTi's.

Comment

• TobintechLV
          TobintechLV commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a new concept Don Buchla did this with the Lightning in 1995, he's on version 3 by now and I think it is just a custom order not in his regular catalog as he has gone back to modular synthesizers. I've seen the Buchla lighting used by Luarie Anderson, the Residents, Peter Gabrial, Bjork, and Don Buchla. He has made some of the most innovative and underapreciated midi controllers on the market.
          Here's a composition of his demoing what was possible with his device

http://youtu.be/sNPCc9grHXc

• TobintechLV
          TobintechLV commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a new concept Don Buchla did this with the Lightning in 1995, he's on version 3 by now and I think it is just a custom order not in his regular catalog as he has gone back to modular synthesizers. I've seen the Buchla lighting used by Luarie Anderson, the Residents, Peter Gabrial, Bjork, and Don Buchla. He has made some of the most innovative and underapreciated midi controllers on the market.
          Here's a composition of his demoing what was possible with his device

http://youtu.be/sNPCc9grHXc

Yep saw them there.....neat concept, the tracking didn't look very accurate yet.

K
        My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
        E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
        A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
        A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by seasack View Post
          Anybody seen the http://www.aerodrums.com ?
          Yes, I played them and thought the response was excellent. However, hitting air takes some getting used to - lack of rebound, etc.
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

The most striking thing about NAMM this year was how the exhibitors have scaled back. When I last went, Roland was in a huge arena. Now they had a much smaller space inside the main exhibition hall - albeit on a separate floor. DW also cut back. Then there was an absence of big name demonstrators - no Johnny Rabb, Michael Schack, etc.
            A number of people I spoke to said they were struggling with the cost of the booths in a tight economy, and had to cut back.
            The other thing I found disappointing is the number of non-industry people. Although it's widely noted as trade-only, the halls were filled with "punters', even young kids. And I think the exhibitors are to blame for this, with their celebrity signing session, etc. Again, there were complains about the smaller number of real buyers and the access clutter due to all the hangers-on.
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

Aerodrums was prolly the most unique edrum concept presented at NAMM this year. Quite a concept. Fun to try, but I suck at air drums for sure. It would definitely take some real practice to get used to hitting imaginary pads. I think not actually having a surface to hit and rebound off of is what makes it the most difficult.

I have to agree with Kenster on the 2Box presentation this year. I love 2Box and know first hand the performance, potential and possibilities. But as far as a professional Retail sales presentation I would have to give it an F-. As far as the professional demo ..... I guess techno pop is quite the rage with some, but not showing the real drum sound potential of this kit is no less than a sin. I really want 2Box to go forward, but some at Hoshino/2Box need to take a hard look at real world product marketing IMO.
              Oh and forget about the glow in the dark pad color choices and put out a more down to earth color choice. People love lots of different colors but there is a reason rental properties stick with inoffensive color schemes ..... they want to actually rent the property! In the same way if this kit were available in something less "caution sign" ...... how many more units would have sold by now. But what do I know? J
              Last edited by JmanWord; 01-30-14, 12:30 PM.
              I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

We had a GREAT showing at NAMM. I agree with Allan, that it seemed like there were a lot of people that just wanted to "kick the tires" on things. But overall, it was a VERY good show for us. We ended up winning a Best in Show award for "Company to Watch", and it looks like we will be signing quite a few international distributors and new retailers. It was a good kick-off for what we believe will be a really good year for us

Comment

Good luck Ryan. I just watched a vid with a gal touting your award for your company . Kick some ass in 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
                    Good luck Ryan. I just watched a vid with a gal touting your award for your company . Kick some ass in 2014!
                    Thank you so much! We are doing what we can to really get ourselves out there. Working on some really cool new products as well

Comment

Sorry, reviving an old thread. I know NAMM's long gone but it doesn't feel like this for me, I was programming MIDI support into Aerodrums...
                      It was our first NAMM, I thought it was great, but we weren't many on our booth so I didn't get to wonder around much.

We didn't have a single drummer say it was rubbish, they were all grinning after a while, but many did say it needed some getting used to. Personally, as a complete beginner drummer, I was really amazed and proud to hear what most could get out of it on their first sitting.

One of the reasons the tracking could feel inaccurate is that Richard was using a big Jazz kit preset for demoing, and we didn't have time to switch to a smaller kit when people sat down to try (around 100 drummers did). So there were 10 invisible drums/cymbals floating in the air in front of them, not always setup like on their own kit, or for someone their size (you can customize all that stuff in the program, and of course there is live visual feedback on your screen as you drum, so you are not completely lost).

Definitely rebound was the main conversation topic. It was more or less of a concern depending on the drummer's personal technique. We made a video to explain rebound in air-drumming, but I am not sure I am able to link here, being connected to a brand. Basically the idea is that holding your sticks loose with your palms not too vertical, you can rebound on your palm.

If there was one disappointment at NAMM it's how we felt snobbed by the print magazines. NAMM's PR selected us for KTLA's live show opening TV segment and that went great, but the only magazine that showed up came to drop an advertising rate card...

Anyway, Aerodrums can now output MIDI, this is why I finally dare show my face on vdrums

Comment

Originally posted by Sipaliwini View Post
                        If there was one disappointment at NAMM it's how we felt snobbed by the print magazines. ... t the only magazine that showed up came to drop an advertising rate card...

Anyway, Aerodrums can now output MIDI, this is why I finally dare show my face on vdrums
                        I'm glad you qualified that with the word "print". It was great catching up with you guys and I can honestly say that Aerodrums is one of the few companies that actually lives up to its promises. When I met them at NAMM they were talking about a Mac version. That was completed soon after NAMM. I raised MIDI implementation with them - that's now done too.
                        I am currently getting my head (and hands) around the product and hope to include a review in the August digitalDrummer.
                        . digitalDrummer
                        Review index

Comment

Haha yes, you and Andy from Sonic State were great. I guess the print guys feel like the news will eventually find their way to them. To be fair, Tom Tom very narrowly missed us at NAMM and are trying Aerodrums right now. I hope you like it.

Comment

Working...
                          X