Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Alesis Product Namm 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alesis Product Namm 2014

http://www.alesis.com/tradeshows/wnamm2014/alesis.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSVHnC6YEG4

SAMPLEPAD PRO, Percussion Pad With Onboard Sound Storage
    • Play onboard sounds or load your own via the SD card slot
    • 10 ready-to-play kits with over 200 drum and cymbal sounds
    • 8 two-shot, isolated rubber pads with active blue LED illumination
    • Two additional pad inputs, plus kick and hi-hat trigger/switch inputs
    • Save sounds on SD card (up to 20 Kits), accessible via USB
    • LCD display and software utility for complete control
    • 1/4" stereo outputs (L, R); 1/4" headphone output
    • 1/8" stereo aux input with level control; MIDI In & Out

Sample Rack Percussion Module With Onboard Sound Storage

• Play onboard sounds or load your own via the SD card slot
    • 10 ready-to-play kits with over 200 drum and cymbal sounds
    • Efficient single rackspace (1U) design
    • 8 trigger inputs plus true kick and hi-hat inputs
    • Save sounds on SD card (up to 20 Kits), accessible via USB
    • LCD display and software utility for complete control
    • 1/4" stereo outputs (L, R); 1/4" headphone output
    • 1/8" stereo aux input with level control; MIDI In & Out

PRO X HI-HAT Dual Cymbal Hi-Hat Controller For DM10 / DM8

• 12” single-zone top and bottom cymbals
    • Authentic hi-hat playability and feel
    • Create open, half-open, closed, chick, and splash sounds
    • Compatible with any standard hi-hat stand
    • Includes top cymbal, bottom cymbal, clutch, and position sensor
    • Patent pending technology

Last edited by Chris K; 11-06-14, 04:10 PM.

Why can't these companies put more than 2 outputs on these things? It would give more control in a live setting....

Comment

Originally posted by latzanimal View Post
      Why can't these companies put more than 2 outputs on these things? It would give more control in a live setting....
      If you are talking about the Triggers outputs, The SamplePad Pro have 4 output for triggers, and the SampleRack 10 outputs for triggers
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlbTtpNWxzM

Comment

I think he refers to the audio outputs!

...and I'll have to agree with Latz: A stereo-output (on such a dedicated product) is not appropriate anymore!
        Even the old D4 had two additional 'Aux Outputs' - for individually outputting kick and snare, for example - in addition to its stereo line-outs!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post

...and I'll have to agree with Latz: A stereo-output (on such a dedicated product) is not appropriate anymore!
          Even the old D4 had two additional 'Aux Outputs' - for individually outputting kick and snare, for example - in addition to its stereo line-outs!
          My Spd-Sx have Master L\R and Sub Out L\R, you can even root wav to phone only for click track and stuff like this, maybe he is looking for this..

Comment

HM has it right. I like to give FOH a separate send for kicks, snare, toms & FX.

More Audio outputs!!!!!

Comment

That hi-hat looks nice!
              Kaiju
              Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo, Carmichael throne

Comment

Originally posted by latzanimal View Post

HM has it right. I like to give FOH a separate send for kicks, snare, toms & FX.

More Audio outputs!!!!!
                The Sample Rack price point is quite low $199.00. At that price you could build a kit from several units and in doing so you would automatically be adding output as well. Even if the trigger inputs are only single zone its still a good price. For $800.00 you could buy four units, have 32 inputs, and 4 pair stereo outputs. Not bad for $800.00. I don't think there is any new module on the market right now that gives you 8 outputs at $800.00. Just something to keep in mind.
                alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
                  The Sample Rack price point is quite low $199.00. At that price you could build a kit from several units and in doing so you would automatically be adding output as well. Even if the trigger inputs are only single zone its still a good price. For $800.00 you could buy four units, have 32 inputs, and 4 pair stereo outputs. Not bad for $800.00. I don't think there is any new module on the market right now that gives you 8 outputs at $800.00. Just something to keep in mind.

Wow! Alright...

But I'll still jump on the chance to spit in that soup...
                  • If I had two modules (...let's start small, here...) and I made good use of the kick-trigger inputs on both modules, how do I route both kicks from separate modules out the same output?
                  • Same with toms or other sounds: If my toms were spread over multiple modules, I'd need some sort of inter-connectivity between the modules... or a routing-matrix...
                  • $800 bucks for 32 inputs is an awesome price...$800 bucks for the input/output-ratio of 4:1 is not....
                  • I can think of a certain module that's (kinda) new in US-distribution with bigger retailers, is around the $800 mark and gives you eight outputs for sure! ....though, you may not like it's color.....

(Tongue-in-cheek, of course! Is the manual for the Sample Rack already up somewhere?)

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Wow! Alright...

But I'll still jump on the chance to spit in that soup...
                    • If I had two modules (...let's start small, here...) and I made good use of the kick-trigger inputs on both modules, how do I route both kicks from separate modules out the same output?

Why would you have your kicks split over two module? That makes no sense. Just because an input is labeled as "Kick" doesn't mean you have to use it as such. All inputs are assignable. Just use inputs #1 & #2 for your kicks.

• Same with toms or other sounds: If my toms were spread over multiple modules, I'd need some sort of inter-connectivity between the modules... or a routing-matrix...

See above comment. Not sure why you would need to split your toms over 2 different modules. Keep in mind that if you are wanting to mix the outputs you would just use a standard audio mixer.

• $800 bucks for 32 inputs is an awesome price...$800 bucks for the input/output-ratio of 4:1 is not....

Again, show me a brand new module @ $800.00 that give you 32 inputs plus 8 outs. There is none.

• I can think of a certain module that's (kinda) new in US-distribution with bigger retailers, is around the $800 mark and gives you eight outputs for sure! ....though, you may not like it's color.....

I would assume you are referring to the 2Box. The only problem with that is the 2Box is $1099.00. At least according to Musician's Friend: 2Box Drumit5 Series Electronic Drum Module
                    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

I glanced at these at NAMM, but I got sidetracked with new info on the DM Dock. I was guaranteed it would be released this year. I was pretty direct asking if the guarantee was as good as the guarantee of release they gave for the previous years since it was announced. Supposedly the big problem with that was a little adapter needed to make DM Dock compatible with newer or older IPads .... Not sure if it is the same kind of adapter that you could pick up at Radio Shack ..... but, anyway back on current products ..... without specifics I wonder if the Sample Pad or Sample Rack will be able to play multi velocity layer samples or just single samples? big dif in that. For example Roland's new little TM-2 with the SD slot is a nice little idea but if it could handle multi layer samples instead of just single sound samples it would be much better IMO. With the 2Box I can build instruments with up to 127 velocity layers and no problem with playability/latency. Just wondering what these things can do..... and if they can reproduce multi vel. layer samples, how well, how deep, how fast, and can the unit keep up ... so to speak .... time will tell I suppose J
                      Last edited by JmanWord; 01-26-14, 10:05 AM.
                      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

That makes no sense. Just because an input is labeled as "Kick" doesn't mean you have to use it as such. All inputs are assignable. Just use inputs #1 & #2 for your kicks.
                        Day-um, you're right... I must have been fooled by the part that said "...plus true kick input"!

I figured I had one input for the kick (...a very special-, or very dedicated one...) It doesn't make much sense at all! Hehehe!

Nevermind.... NEXT!!!

Why would you have your kicks split over two module?
                        Why would you use 32 inputs just to have 8 outs?

See above comment. Not sure why you would need to split your toms over 2 different modules. Keep in mind that if you are wanting to mix the outputs you would just use a standard audio mixer.
                        Well, that one was purely hypothetical! - Just imagine a kit with twelve toms... ...and *I want* all the toms share the same stereo buss/output.

Again, show me a brand new module @ $800.00 that give you 32 inputs plus 8 outs. There is none.
                        The real tricky part for a "counter-attack" is not least the 'Brand New' requirement....

Does the SampleRack have single-zone inputs?
                        Let's pretend it has:
                        SampleRack (by four): 32 zones on 32 inputs 8 outputs
                        TD-30 29 zones on 14 inputs 8 outputs
                        2box 23 zones on 10 inputs 8 outputs
                        With 29 zones, the Roland would get closest to the SampleRack, though that's not a $800 price-tag by a long shot...

The 2box has a disadvantage in that comparison in both zones and inputs, but it fits the price-category.

It has multiple sample-layers, freely assignable MIDI-channels, and 99 kits, though ...something the SampleRack has not! - Not even multiplied by four and at $800!

I would assume you are referring to the 2Box. The only problem with that is the 2Box is $1099.00. At least according to Musician's Friend..
                        It appears that 2boxes in Europe are about 250-300 bucks cheaper than in the US. A bit sad, really...but maybe due to shipping costs or customs. Generally I'd expect to see the module-only offers to undercut the $1000-barrier by quite a bit. Certainly in comparison with EU prices!

As it stands (currently) the 2box seems not to be able to 'squeeze' inside the $800 price-bracket. This would mean the SampleRack is 'to plough the lonely furrow' ...or something similar.

All of this made me realize, just how you'll get alot of 'trigger for money' with modules today! - The 'TMI'-portion of a drum module seems not to be the big factor which makes the buying-price go up, anymore!

The only one that could challenge the SampleRack's 'supremacy' in that regard would possibly be Yamaha's 502...!

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 01-26-14, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                          ..... without specifics I wonder if the Sample Pad or Sample Rack will be able to play multi velocity layer samples or just single samples? big dif in that. For example Roland's new little TM-2 with the SD slot is a nice little idea but if it could handle multi layer samples instead of just single sound samples it would be much better IMO.
                          I agree 100%, as a matter of fact once I found out about the Sample Rack (Wed 1/22/14) I actually started an idea request over at the Alesis Support forum about this exact issue.

Alesis Sample Rack --Two needed features-

I'm hoping with enough support Alesis will put multi velocity layer samples in the programing of the Sample Rack. Of course I tried to start a campaign to get the talked about DM10 OS 2.0 as well, but even though it is/was the most popular idea their support forum ever had, they still didn't do it. Never hurts to try. On a side note: There is tons of discussion over at DMdrummer.com about this vary issue for those interested.

The only one that could challenge the SampleRack's 'supremacy' in that regard would possibly be Yamaha's 502...!
                          I'm just trying to put the Sample Rack in perspective base on its price point. If one is trying to find fault with it as a reason not to buy, there is plenty to point out. All edrum module solutions have there ups and down, I'm just trying to show a few possibilities. At the same time, I see everything you are stating is correct, but you still haven't shown an $800.00 solution that matches.

Look, I get the knee jerk reaction to Alesis products. I use to make the same points about the DM10 (price point vs. capabilities) and many people just couldn't see. They would cling to those things they didn't like about it as reason for it to suck and always forgetting about the price point. I'm not trying to say the Sample Rack is the "end all to be all", I'm just trying to show that there is a little more to it than the initial reaction and there is always more ways to squeeze more out of a given edrum solution. Honestly, I'm more interested in the new KAT Pro kit and ADAM & EVE combo. Like the Alesis Sample Rack, it has its issues as well.
                          alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

New Info, it is shipped with the included 32gig SD Cards with Air Sonivox drum sound http://www.sonivoxmi.com/

read MP3 and Wav files Stereo with the Editor Manager drag and drop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbVZZ05giM
                            Last edited by Chris K; 02-01-14, 10:53 PM.

Comment

At the same time, I see everything you are stating is correct, but you still haven't shown an $800.00 solution that matches.
                              "Aaaaahhrrrggg...." ...that's just because it's quite a hard task!

Let me give it another shot:

One of these...

....and one more...

.and yet another one:

...So three 502's in total:

Single DTX-502 20 zones on 8 inputs 2 outputs
                              DTX-502 (by three) 60 zones on 24 inputs 6 outputs
                              SampleRack (by four): 32 zones on 32 inputs 8 outputs

The closest I could get at this point - 24 ins (but with alot of zones).

...at an attractive price-point :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X