Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should I use to mount rack toms higher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should I use to mount rack toms higher?

So I've pieced together what I think is a very good start to building a kit. But I had to rig something for the high tom on the left. It's a Tama post which is smaller than the Roland. I still have one more to hang but I ran out of parts. Aside from freestanding stands what are some of my options for hanging the toms high.

Also,

I have the TD12. But I'm out of inputs and still want to add. I know I need another module. Would I be okay with a TD3 if all I wanted was cymbals and various percussion sounds? Maybe Roland, since drummers can be cymbal crazy, should make a cymbal module that plugs into the main brain.
    Thanks for the input. Here is a pic of what I have right now.

mev2-2 by DaJa Photographs, on Flickr

First, this is a really sharp kit. I like the MDS-10 rack for it's spaciousness. Cool matching blue wraps as well. You might consider using only the top portion of a free standing double tom mount if you can find one. Another solution would be a double tom mount arm (like Tama or Gretsch) that fits into a kick drum. Provided it has a 7/8" post, either should fit nicely into a 7/8" Roland clamp mounted to your rack.
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

I use a combination of these:

plus these:

Throw on some of these:

and you get this:

See right side of image.
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I ordered a DW double tom mount that clamps on another stand, last night. I think it will work (fingers crossed!) Thanks again.

Comment

Doesnt DW use 12.7mm arms? Roland uses 10.5mm arms to mount their pads.

Comment

Not sure... that's why I was asking. When you say "arms" are you referring to the pipe size? Or the part that goes into the tom's mounting hole? Thanks

Comment

Here is the part I ordered. Thanks
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Yeah, those metal arms that go through the mount on the tom. DW typically uses 12.7mm mounting arms. Roland designs their tom mounts for 10.5mm mounting arms. I could try checking out if a PD-85 will fit on a 12.7mm arm I have at my place tonight, but I don't think it will.

Comment

That would be great. thank you! I know the Tama is smaller than the Roland. So I was thinking the DW would fit just right. Again, fingers crossed.

Comment

You want 10.5 MM. Most DW uses 12.7MM, PDP 10.5MM ..... If your Tom mounts don't work there are replacement Ball L's:
                    http://store.dwdrums.com/p/dwsm99m-1...ory-arms?pp=10
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Well, an interesting find... I got the tom mount and found that it fits the PD105 perfectly. But the PD85 is no bueno! I'll have to order the replacement ball (thanks for the link).

Comment

Ordered! Thanks again
                        Last edited by John37; 01-23-14, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I got DW stands for having a rack-less version of my TD30. You'll need to replace the standard ball/socket l-arms. PDP (DW) do 10.5mm l-arms as do gibraltar. I ended up getting gibraltar ones because i didn't want to wait 2-3 months to get the PDP/DW ones shipped.

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Perhaps I just got lucky. I ordered from the link provided above. It shipped this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                            X