Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new monitor set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new monitor set up

Up until now, I've been using a 400 watt powered 15" speaker for hearing myself on stage. My band isn't the lloudest, but 400watts just isn't cutting it. I'm looking at a peavey set up. I can get a peavey115d speaker for $300. And can also add the peavey 118 unpowered 18" sub For around the same price. The powered speaker is 400 watts, and can send an additional 400watts to the sub, making 800 watts total. It's a lot to carry around, but should give me a ton on stage. I can also get the 115d and an unpowered version of the same speaker and run the unpowered from the powered one. What do you guys think?
    Module- 1 TD 12
    Pads- 3 pd 85s, 2 pd 105s, 1kd 85
    Cymbals VH 11, 2 cy 12s 1 cy 6, 1 Yamaha pcy150s Iron Cobra dbl pedal
    1 JBL Eon 515xt powered speaker. Also plenty of VEXkits to choose from.

Get the sub at the very least. I have some older 118s and they will thump your guts out.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

That's what I need to hear. I can get the 115d and the 118
      for $600 or less
      Module- 1 TD 12

Comment

I also thought about getting just a 625 watt jbl eon 515xt. I really would like a sub, but only have around $500ish to spend. Anybody else use an eon on stage? Is the volume, loud and clear, and all that good stuff?
        Module- 1 TD 12

Comment

• BWaj
          BWaj commented
          Editing a comment
          You'll hear it with an Eon but I find the low/mids to be muddy. It does not reproduce the sound accurately unless you go through an EQ, imo. I've settled on QSC K12's as the perfect edrum wedge. 1000 watts and crystal clear. Light and they look nice too.

You can find em for $550 used if you are not in a hurry. I paid $675 for new with a 3 year warranty. My band is pretty loud and I have no issues.

You should set your monitor's horizontal and vertical size adjustments for about 0.1 inch margins-- about as large as you can without cutting off the edges. Image sizes are shown in the table below.

Comment

• Stixx71
          Stixx71 commented
          Editing a comment
          That post was sent from my android tablet. strange.

I am also interested in the JBL EON 515XT mainly because it is half the weight of my Berhinger amp. The 515XT show a lot more output than my current amp. Any feedback on the 515XT would be appreciated.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

• Stixx71
          Stixx71 commented
          Editing a comment
          I ended up getting the jbl for now. Got a deal on e bay. As someone said above, the is a tad muddy, and I will be getting a small mixer to help clear it up a bit. It will be plenty loud enough for anything I need, . It really is a great speaker, and you can't go wrong IMO.

I have the EON 515XT (Two for my home studio) and a Simmons DA200S. The EON is a great all around PA speaker and is plenty loud. I use it for outdoor backyard jam sessions, my home studio, occasional monitor speaker, etc. However, for drumming it's not as punchy as the DA200, which for me is also plenty loud for on-stage amplification/monitoring. So, for drumming, I really like the Simmons. However, I also have a lower back issue, and it's heavy (and lacks side handles, which I guess you could add). The EON is much more manageable in terms of weight.

All the above considered, I saw that JBL is launching the next generation to the EON - The 615. http://jblpro.com/www/products/porta...5#.UwDGikJdWnM
        It has a street price of $599 and has three cool upgrades to the 515: Bluetooth capability and apps for Android and iOS as well as 1,000 watts and cool "waveguide" design that improves radial dispersion of even the lows. This could be especially handy on stage so the whole band gets an even representation of your amp without having to crank it for the band members off center - for situations where monitors are minimal or non-existent, for example.

I'm thinking this JBL EON 616 could be just what the Dr. ordered for VDrums.
        Pearl Mimic Pro, eDRUMin 10, ATV aDrums, DIY Conversion kit, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• Stixx71
          Stixx71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the reply. Wish I would have waited on the new model now.

I really know nothing about amplifiers, PAs, monitors, etc. I have the Behringer and it holds its own when I play with my old band but it is hard on the back. I guess if I were playing on stage in a larger venue, I might need 2 of the 515XTs and maybe 2 of the 18 sub woofers and the behringer would need to face me so I could here myself. Is that how it works?
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

If you get yourself '2 of the 515XTs and maybe 2 of the 18 sub woofers' (for your own monitoring (!) - then what do you need the behringer for...?

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I really don't want to schlep that much gear around. I have an outback wagon and not a truck. My main question is if I can get the same or better sound out of the 515XT as the behringer for less weight. The 615 that was mentioned above (thanks) looks interesting.

Comment

I would think so regarding the sound. And as for 'schlepping' - there must be a reason why there's a guitar-player in the band....

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I went to guitar center today and listened to the EON 515XT. They would not let me hook it up to a kit though. I sounded really good but I decided to wait until April for the EON 615 that comes in at 39 pounds. I saw it advertised for per order for $499. I also spent a bit of time on the TD-30KV. I get GAS every time I try one. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone. Like I said above, ended up wit the 515xt, and really like it for the sound and weight. Wish I would have seen the post on the new JBL before I bought mine, but oh well. LOL.
                Module- 1 TD 12

Comment

Stixx71 I would like to know about the small mixer that you intend to get. Even if the 515XT is muddy I wonder how it compares to my Behringer KFX3000. Thanks for the feedback. What did you pay for the 515XT?

Comment

The best comapact mixer available for $250 is the allen and heath Zed10 : http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FdeUfgod3hUACQ

The small Yamaha mixers are cheaper and quite good as well. You will need a sweepable [adjustable] midrange control if you want to remove muddiness. Somewhere between 200 and 400 hz will be the area to remove.

The JBL should have a much smoother sound than any behringer product. The QSC k12 is an amazing speaker that was recommended here. The JBL PRX series is the step up from the Eon and has much better low end plus better sound quality. They were about $1000 per speaker but i see them used all the time for around $600.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                    X