Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I get?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I get?!?

Ok I played an acoustic set for 15 yrs. 5-20. Circumstances happened that I had to sell my set and I am now 30 and haven't played in a decade. I am getting an e kit. To mainly have fun in my condo without freaking out the neighbors. My eyes are set on a td-15kv (the hi hat stand is sweet) Am I spending to much for someone who just wants to jam? I'm not sure, but I'd like to know if I should get a used td-12 or a new td-15kv. What would you say?

For what you are going to use it for I guess it would depend on how much less you could get the td-12 for.
    The td-15 will have better sounds but the td-12 will be very flexible should you want to do other things expand more pads, midi in, etc.
    as has been said on here many times buy your 2nd or 3rd! module first. Think future. The td-15 is shiny and new but the td-12 is great also.
    The td-12 really has not been replaced yet. The td-15 replaced the td-9. For the most part anyway. Just my opinion of course YMMV.
    Good luck! Whatever choice you make will bring you much fun and probably some GAS as you go forward.
    "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Nothing wrong with buying a great set just for jamming. I bought a TD-30KV just to jam in my basement. Its awesome!
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

I'm not sure where you are currently located in the world, Charms434.
        But check the link I posted.

That's a completely new Jobeky 2Box Drum Kit for less than the cost of the standard 2Box full kit. Fantastic value, as of now, you will not find a better brand new "all included" deal than that currently.

It works exactly like the Roland drum kits - i.e. mesh heads and piezos, but Jobeky make them into acoustic shells, quiet as a normal electronic drum pads.

Just look up what the 2box module can offer you against the TD15 module to decide if it's that right for you. You will need to make a choice to go with a Roland or a 2box module before you buy the corresponding cymbals and hi-hat (the hi-hat and 3-way ride technologies are not cross compatible between the modules)

Either way, if you've already used an real acoustic set for 15 years, the crossover to electronic will be much more natural with an acoustic ekit.
        Jobeky Drums Jobeky 2Box Standard Electronic Complete Drum Kit [Jobeky standard 2box] - We at Jobeky pride our self by giving you the best electronic drums on the planet but also affordable! Our new STANDARD range gives you this plus more! The Standard range is fitted with our ERT triggering system and comes with 2ply mesh heads! Fully responsive across each drum without
        Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 01-17-14, 12:44 PM.
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

A year ago I got the TD-15K, with the, uh, funky high hat. I love it. Working with the FD-8 works just fine. It looks, feels, sounds very good. I'm not to real hip with the small pads, but I plan to rectify that one day and get the TD-30KV for practice and performance. I'm still gonna keep the 15 because it will work out nice practicing with the mates in their basement. Your situation, you will not go wrong with the 15-KV

Comment

I would definatley have a look at the Jobeky kits with 2box there are some great deals on full kits including hardware from £1550, look and feel better than the small pads these kits also work great with the TD-12,

Comment

I used both the TD-30 and the 2Box side by side for a year with my DIY kits...for me..the 2Box won out hands down. As for full kits with a 2Box module, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention Diamond Electronic Drums here too as an option who have offered 2Box modules with their kits since they hit the market some years back. http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/ and play very well with Roland modules as well.

That said and has been suggested...decide on what module you will use before you make any decisions on the rest. It's the most important factor when building or buying a kit.
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Just for the sake of completeness, the third name of the A-to-E building 'Big Three' - in addition to Jobeky, in addition to Diamond - is drum-shop-slash-Edrum-builder Drum-Tec. They're probably the smallest of the three, offering off-the-shelf pre-made kits, rather than truely custom drums.

Drumtec is working closely in co-operation with German company Sonor on their higher-end kits. Along with Diamond and Jobeky, they too sell and offer 2box modules and complete 2box drumkits:

http://www.drum-tec.de/sets-2box-c-7...ml?language=en

http://www.drum-tec.de/sets-drumtec-pro-c-79_197.html

Greetings from Switzerland,
                - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

not to hijack the thread, but fulrmr, could you elaborate on what made the 2Box so much better vs. the TD-30 for you?
                  Playing Drums for ~25 years, occasionally seriously.
                  Current Kit: Hart Pro Toms, PD-128S Snare, VH-13-MG, (2) CY-14C-MG, CY-15R, DrumKAT, sometimes BFD2

Comment

• fulrmr(Daniel)
                    fulrmr(Daniel) commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure.... Without going into great detail...

Superior sound quality of multi layered real drum samples from my favorite VSTs( that can be loaded directly into the module with a few inexpensive/free 3rd party add-ons to make it easier than standard process offered by 2Box)...

price point...

easy expansion (splitting inputs) and simplicity of design for DIY builds.

IMHO it's the most versatile, best sounding, biggest bang for the buck, e-drum system on the market today. It simply just works for me and meets all my needs and exceeds all my expectations. Now please keep in ind that I only have the module so the pads themselves would need comment from someone else as to their benefits as I DIY all my pads...even for the Roland gear I own.

The way I see it if you go down the Roland path with the new modules to experience the new features you need Roland pads,which in my opinion now makes Roland a no brainer unless you can recreate their trigger system perfectly. So a serious look at what you want from your setup is paramount, I will be going the 2box way soon as I prefer the acoustic look and feel IMO..Duncan.

Comment

Just an update, I found a used td-9kx which I'm picking up today for 1k. It's pads are a lot better than the td9 as it has a 105 snare and all 85 toms but still a pd8 (sp?) bass. But it was for a church that closed 9 days after they bought it so it's basically new.

Comment

Nice job. You will enjoy that kit for quite some time. Stay braced for the coming GAS attack. LOL
                      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Great find! You'll have lots of fun that!
                        8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Working...
                        X