Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk TM-2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk TM-2!

...it seems to be the most interesting of the new products!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

HI,
    I like the Idea, small device, since it has dual trigger capabilities, we can have up to 4 sound, like I mentioned on another thread, 4 trigger or 6 would be way much better. This device as a addons is nice for acoustic drummer want something small in space and trigs sound, as well Edrums, SPD etc users, 90,300 users sound slots is excellent no limitation, as well 99 users kits is nice, up to 32 gig space.

I would like in the future to see series of TM developed more low mid and high end, TM4, TM 8, TM 12 with HH capabilities, this is something Roland refused to do, but it would be so much popular, different then TD series, both can live together, it's different concept.
    Last edited by Chris K; 01-15-14, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Definitely support a few extra inputs on a small devices like this, and would love a second hihat controller, but Roland would need to work out whether or not bigger ones, say with 8/12 inputs with hi hat capabilities would potentially eat into sales on the TD line...

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Disclaimer: I love Roland, and Roland makes the BEST digital drum equipment (modules, pads, etc) versus any other (Yamaha, Medeli, etc) manufacturer. But the TM-2 is weak at best. Let's imagine the boardroom meeting where Roland were trying to figure out new products for 2014. To do this we have to think of the 1970s, 1980s GM (General Motors, not General MIDI) corporate culture of "WE know what is best for our customers, because our customers will buy what we offer them.". Are you ready? Here we go:
        Bigwig executive: We understand many drummers who play acoustic drumsets want to add digital sounds and sampling to their acoustic drumset."
        Junior executive: "Yes, Boss! We have studied the competition. Alesis has a four pad unit called the PERCPAD with 25 internal sounds and the ability to add a kick pedal for $99 USD MAP. It also has a MIDI out."
        Bigwig executive: "Hmm. What else?"
        Junior executive: "Alesis also offers this same unit with MIDI out (SamplePad) and the ability to load samples. The price is $199 USD MAP."
        Bigwig executive: "Hmm. What else?"
        Junior executive: "KAT Percussion is offering a similar unit (KTMP1) in different shape with a hi-hat pedal input, and with over 30 more sounds for $125 USD MAP"
        Bigwig executive: "It is settled. We will offer a two-input unit with many more sounds, and NO TRIGGER PADS as part of the unit. The customer can use our pads to access the sounds. If they wish for more than two trigger inputs, they can buy our PCS-31L trigger-splitting cord for $35 each to achieve four inputs."

To quote Chet from the movie WEIRD SCIENCE: "What a joke."

Comment

Some people seem to be missing the point of the TM product. There's a big move to hybrid kits - acoustic drums with triggers. If you're only after a couple of electronic sounds or effects, you shouldn't have to buy a full-blown module.
          If we take our e-drummers' blinkers off for a minutes, I think we'll recognise that this is a very smart product for a market that it about to take off.
          Okay, back to the bun fight ....
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
            Some people seem to be missing the point of the TM product. There's a big move to hybrid kits - acoustic drums with triggers. If you're only after a couple of electronic sounds or effects, you shouldn't have to buy a full-blown module.
            Originally posted by allanjohn View Post

If we take our e-drummers' blinkers off for a minutes, I think we'll recognise that this is a very smart product for a market that it about to take off.
            Okay, back to the bun fight ....

Exactly. Although many e-drummers will appreciate or reject the TM-2, it is in fact designed to appeal to (for example):
            • "Acoustic only" drummers who want to, are thinking about, or have resisted adding electronics to their kits but haven't due to price, size, physical footprint, ease of use, and other factors.
            • Drummers who already own an electronic set or module, and are are looking for an alternative to add to their live acoustic sets without having to bring their expensive modules to gigs.
            • Drummers who currently are triggering electronics from their acoustic kits live but are using a used, outdated, or inferior sounding sound source and are looking to "upgrade
            At the 2013 NAMM show we (Roland US Drums and Percussion, which I manage), displayed an acoustic drum set outfitted with BT-1 Bar Trigger Pads, RT-10 Acoustic Drum Triggers, connected to an SPD-SX Sampling Pad and an OCTAPAD SPD-30. Although this was not the first time Roland had displayed acoustic drums in our booth, it was significant as it was clearly displayed in the middle of our core V-Drums products for all to see. The "hybrid concept" was clearly shown, demonstrated, and explained, and I personally spoke to hundreds of individuals about triggering or adding electronics to their or their customers acoustic drums. Because of this simple but effective display, many retailers have adopted this "model" in their stores over the past year to promote electronics to their customers who have had little or limited experience with electoronics.

Next week, in addition to our V-Drums products, there will an increased presence of acoustic drums (more than one kit) in the Roland booth at the 2014 NAMM show, with live ongoing demonstrations of electronics triggered directly from acoustics.

Additionally, if you are attending NAMM you will see Roland "hybrid" percussion products in several booths of major acoustic drum manufacturers. If any you are attending the show, please come by the Roland booth (3rd Floor, Room -303C) check out the demos, play some V-Drums, and if you see me, introduce yourself and say hello!
            Last edited by Guest_User_DA; 01-16-14, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Drew, you know I'm a fan (and my wallet is truly scarred from buying Roland).
              But I'm not a fan of this.
              I fully - fully - understand what it is and who it's aimed at. I get the 'hybrid drumming' trend.
              And I hope its a great success for Roland (like everything they do).
              But I guess we'd hoped for some (many?) other things we've literally talked about for years.
              Got a little excited about the BT-1 (and I quite like mine) but that was really a repackaged CY (triggering system).
              Now, I know development isn't rushed at Roland, and there may well be some other things in the pipeline that we (and by that, I mean the V-Drumming Community represented in part by this forum) will get excited about, but the TM2 isn't really one of those.
              It's been described well above - kinda like a TMC-6 minus the good stuff crossed with an SPD-S minus the good stuff.
              Anyway, I've whinged enough, here and elsewhere
              As I said, I hope it sells well, but I'm also hoping for something more from Roland.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by campster View Post
                  Definitely support a few extra inputs on a small devices like this, and would love a second hihat controller, but Roland would need to work out whether or not bigger ones, say with 8/12 inputs with hi hat capabilities would potentially eat into sales on the TD line...
                  You can do it in a way to make them both live together, TM2 would reach much more larger crowd if they had 4 or 6 input trigger and HH controller, let's see this, All discussed here and request.

For those with the older Td module or latest, TD-9, TD-11,TD15 etc wanted to use the VH-12, VH-13 possible now, for those who wanted HH controller with the SPD-SX possible now, this is already 2 options missed, potential increasing sale of VH-12\VH-13 and the units as well, hybrid drummer would have more possibility with Electronic Second hihat, stack cymbal using Cy-5, more trigs for rack tom with larger acoustic drum etc. Releasing something on global demand have more impact. But I see now Roland using the import capabilities on sample without sampling, started with the HP, now the TM, I am sure all new TD modules will have this option of import samples.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 01-17-14, 04:05 AM.

Comment

PRICING CORRECTION: The pricing for the TM-2 and the KT-10 that have been posted online and quoted elsewhere is incorrect. This was a mistake and Roland's valued retailers were NOT the cause of this error. We apologize for the error, and thank you for being patient as our dealers make the necessary corrections on their respective websites - Drew

The correct pricing is as follows (all prices shown in USD):

TM-2 Drum Trigger Module - Retail $239.00 - MAP $199.00

KT-10 Kick Trigger Pedal - Retail $269.00 - MAP $229.00

Comment

Drew, does the TM-2 support to play more than four sounds in one kit when it will be triggered via MIDI?
                      Drums since 1983, e-drums since 1987.
                      Previous e-drums: Simmons SDS9/MTX9, Pearl DRX1, Roland DDR30, Alesis D4 and DM5, Roland TD-10.
                      Actually: Roland TD-20 with mige-triggers built in a acoustic-drumkit.

Comment

Heater, this is something I wanted for so long, at least 3 octaves wav slot sample for each patch via midi or more, instead of Trigger wav slot for each patch, like the Spd-S series. I have a MalletKat and I am unable to use Spd-SX with the MalletKat because of the lack of wav slot in each patch, I do hope Roland will improve this and think for larger possibilities.

My Primary kits are Acoustic Drums and will always be, I never used any function of the Sampling of my Spd-S and Spd-Sx, all editing are from computer/tablets which are pretty universal and available free for most people, I found this sampling feature less important and not necessary these days, I have already my laptop that’s play custom wav for the MalletKat + the Spd-Sx with triggers, I am carrying 2 units that can do sampling Laptop and Spd-Sx but most people will never use the sampling function with live gigs.

I would prefer to replace all the sampling stuff and focused on live gigs performance, wav imports, triggers slots, 3 or more octave waves slots, click track to phone, Velocity switch sound etc. Kind of TM2 but more advanced, Ready to play units and compact, I would get rid of the laptop, Spd-SX , audio cards, wire, midi cable, stands etc all stuff that taken all the space, to a smaller units and easy to transports, make it 799$ I would order it now!

I want to know if with the TM2, we can route sound to phone or only all to Output L&R and if there is time limitation on sample?
                        Last edited by Chris K; 01-22-14, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Nice to finally put a Roland sampler. The biggest drawback for me is why Roland put more inputs on the TM-2 ? Two inputs is not enough. With this product, Roland is not completed by the end of the story. You should put the 5 inputs.

Comment

maybe it's called the TM-2 because there might be a TM-4 with 4 inputs coming??

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                              Heater, this is something I wanted for so long, at least 3 octaves wav slot sample for each patch via midi or more, instead of Trigger wav slot for each patch, like the Spd-S series. I have a MalletKat and I am unable to use Spd-SX with the MalletKat because of the lack of wav slot in each patch, I do hope Roland will improve this and think for larger possibilities.

Then ideally, you'd be looking at a 'Keyboard Sampler' rather than 'Drum Sampler.' Think Halion rather than Battery, software-wise.

In the hardware-realm, something like a (Clavia) Nord-Wave in rack form (...if Clavia is ever to release a Nord-Wave Rack), or Korg's MicroSampler (...which sadly doesn't offer multiple velocity-zones per each key) would be a possible ticket. I was keeping an eye on Yamaha's 'Motif' range, until I realized that the rack-version Motif Rack XS was ommiting the sequencer and the built-in sampler!

Sure, we're talking thousands of Dollars here, BUT: ....a Korg Kronos X, in a rack-version, would be the definitive answer at the moment! - Nine different sound-engines (tonewheel organ, analog, waveshaping/FM, MS-20 emulation, Polysix emulation, acoustic piano, EP - all fully tweakable) ...plus sequencer.....plus arpeggiator (Karma-engine)..... plus a sampler (covering all the sounds that are not already covered by the different sound-engines) to boot!

Depending on what sounds you'd like to load into your MalletKat, you may get by with the built-in Kurzweil sounds!

HTH
                              Last edited by hairmetal-81; 01-21-14, 06:38 AM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                              X