Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibraltar Swing Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltar Swing Nuts

Anyone using these?

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/4...FclaMgodcA0Apg

Thought I'd check them out at NAMM because I need a faster solution for my A kit in anticipating of more frequent gigging. Anything to help speed up set up and tear down HAS to be a good thing!

K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

$15 for a cymbal nut? Great googly moogly!!! No thank you. Much better off buying Tama quick set cymbal mates.

Edit: BTW, here is a review on Musicians Friend about these Gibraltar swing nuts:

Comments about Gibraltar 8mm Tilt Swing Nut Attachment:
    I bought a few of these to use on some existing stands I had. I was really intrigued by the design and really wanted to try them out. Right out of the package, they were really easy to install. Just take off your existing cymbal sleeve and screw this on. You may need to lower the stand a tad, because this does add about 1/2-1" of height on your stand. These worked great for a few shows, but after a while, they wouldn't stay at the "t" position. They still work and I still use them, but it doesn't stay crossed over the cymbal like a wingnut. The only other thing I don't love about it is that the spring underneath adds a bit of noticeable "bounce" to your cymbals. It's not super annoying, but it affects the way the cymbal reacts when you're riding eighth notes on your crash.
    I think my work is done here.

Comment

Yeah, expensive as... but I guess, that's Gibraltar quality for you!

That's not to say of course I don't admire the Swingnut as a product! Brilliant concept, really!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Anyone using the Tamas then? They don't seem to grip and hold well after the Youtube vid I saw.

K ;-)

Comment

I wouldn't judge them by that review - the user is obviously using them without the top felt in place, and y'know, if you want to take advice from someone who says something doesn't work whilst clearly explaining that they're not actually using it properly... (He is right about the bounce though).

Comment

Swing nuts and Roland's cymbal stoppers don't fit together, if you're thinking of an e-Drum setup.

Comment

I've experimented with a few different quick-release cymbal nuts. Depending on your cymbal stand, I would recommend looking at; Vater Percussion Slick Nuts, Pearl WingLoc and Tama Quick Set Cymbal Mates.

The Tama's cost about $5 each...but I preferred the Vater Slick Nuts for a few dollars more. They come with a felt aleady attached and work equally well with my Roland VCymbals and acoustic cymbals. The Pearl WingLoc had the strongest hold but take two-hands to adjust.

I think you will find the "grab" will be different based upon the cymbal arms you are using...so you may want to try a few of each.

I have a mixture of cymbal arms and ended up using the Vater Slick Nuts for both my electronic and acoustic sets.

My wife has no idea how much I really spend on my toys.

Comment

I have a couple Tama Cymbal Mates and they work great for Tama arms. They wont work on a Roland arm because Roland used a smaller post and finer thread. I have not tried them on a Pearl arm, but I could test it out when I get home tonight. I could also test it on a Yamaha arm as well.

Comment

i use tama cymbal mates on all my cymbals on both tama and pearl arms (8mm) and dont budge! perfect and well made.
                  Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

What do you guys think of these....the video is great, definitely heavy duty, and they have a booth at NAMM I can check out!

http://www.shoptrick.com/products/Tr...opper-471.html

Comment

It looks kinda like the bottom part of the swing-nut, with the upper part of the tama mate. Now, if that's good or bad, I don't know...

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I still wouldn't spend $15 on a cymbal wing nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
                          I still wouldn't spend $15 on a cymbal wing nut.
                          Yes - on second look I just noticed that the Trick one's are also about $17 each.
                          I think for this price I'll rather take the swing-nut...

Comment

Originally posted by Kenster View Post
                            What do you guys think of these....the video is great, definitely heavy duty, and they have a booth at NAMM I can check out!

http://www.shoptrick.com/products/Tr...opper-471.html
                            those look pretty impressive, i think i like the trick better that the swing nut, btw if i remember correctly zildjian had something very similar to the swing nut years ago
                            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

It always amazes me how cheap folks can get on some parts of their gear, (cough cough Tommy D lol! J ) and other areas they'll spend hundreds and thousands.

For me, if it saves time and trouble at gig after gig after gig after practice after practice after practice of set ups and tear downs, then $15 is worth it.....it looks about a savings of $10 if you buy a bulk pack of like 4 or more. I'm sure I can get a better deal at NAMM if they have enough for sale and I like them. I do agree tho, for folks who never really set up and tear down and are just playing at home or whatever, then $15 per cymbal might be a bit steep.

K ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X