Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland vs Yamaha side by side Model Comparisson List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland vs Yamaha side by side Model Comparisson List

Hi Guys, I did a search here on the forum for something like this list but couldn't find anything so I thought that I would post a list put together from research that I did here in Oz. I have tried to list each model with its equivalent opposing brands model. I hope I got it correct. Let me know if I didn't. What's interesting to note is that Roland is actually surprisingly equal to or cheaper than Yamaha for their lower end range kit models when looking at the factory set recommended retail price! This is up until the TD-15K where Roland just starts to nudge ahead. I always thought that it was the other way around! It is also interesting to note which kits include open/ shut hi-hats. I also wanted to post the complete Roland V Drum model listing brochures from 2009 to 2013 to show what model kits came with what model cymbals but they're 10MB each far exceeding the 1MB allowed. They're pretty easy to find on the net anyway. Cheers. Swainy. - Added the 2Box for Hair Metal. Yamaha vs Roland Model Comparisson.pdf - Now amended as per suggestions in the post including the DTX900 - PLEASE NOTE ALL PRICES ARE BASED ON THE BEST POSSIBLE PRICES THAT I COULD FIND IN AUSTRALIA.
    Last edited by Swainy; 01-13-14, 02:47 AM.

Thanks, mate!
    TD-11 with 1xPDX 100 and 2x 12" drum-tec Diabolo pads, VH-11, CY 15R, CY-8 + various VSTi's.

Comment

That's cool to look at! two small suggestions:

1. Is there a reason, why the DTX-750K is suddenly a 'lefty' kit?
      2. In a third column - between the TD-15K and 15KV, or a little past the DTX-700K, you should include the 2box.

I'm still amazed at the twothousand-dollar 'gap' between the 30K and the 15KV. This is where a possible TD-12-successor would fit in nicely. At present, this gap is provisionally closed only by a 'special edition' by Thomann, which couples the TD-30 module with a VH-11 and TD-11 pads and rack, using the included CY-5 hihat-pad as a second crash cymbal.

HTH

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 01-11-14, 05:56 AM. Reason: added info

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

• hairmetal-81
        hairmetal-81 commented
        Editing a comment
        Roland cheaper? Where? The 522K and TD-11K both have their price-point (crossed-through) at $1699....

(???)

• Swainy
        Swainy commented
        Editing a comment
        I've added the 2Box for you Hair Metal :-)

• hairmetal-81
        hairmetal-81 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's very kind of you. Yours truly, along with the complete vdrums.com-universe will be thankful for that!

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...psf5ddbb00.png

Sorry Danoh I was talking about the TD-11KV at $2299 as opposed to $2399 for the DTX542K

Comment

Ah.. okay - I see it now, thanks!

But...meh...that's just a lousy 100 bucks....
        "That almost doesn't count, *hmmpf*..."

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

• Swainy
          Swainy commented
          Editing a comment
          The point I'm trying to make is that I always read people complaining that Roland are so expensive but I think now they're trying to price their kits a little more competitively. Which is a good thing isn't it?

Does Yamaha still sell the DTX-900K? I didn't see that listed in the .pdf.
        I think my work is done here.

Comment

Yeah Tommy I just checked the Yamaha web site and you're right. The retailers website that I took the info didn't have it listed. I'll add it later. Going to bed now. What Roland kit should it sit against? The TD-30K? Does that mean that the DTX-750K should sit by itself? Cheers.

Comment

The DTX750 is the closest to the TD15KV. The DTX900 is the comparison to the TD30K (flagship module with cut-down padset). There shouldn't be that price difference between the Yamaha 700 and 750 kits.

Comment

See, now it gets complicated!

The 2box should sit *between* the TD-15K and KV sets. I've seen them for 400 less than the TD-15KV's price - $2990 is looking very expensive!

Comment

What this does for me is reinforce the notion that the flagship e-kits from these companies are crazy expensive and damn ugly. For $7k you can a buy a similarly sized professional acoustic kit with top-end cymbals that sounds and looks absolutely gorgeous. And I'd wager that in 10 years the resale value of the acoustic will be much closer to that price point than will be the case for the e-kit. There isn't anything particularly advanced in a tom or cymbal pad; it's nothing but molded plastic, rubber and a bit of stamped metal. When the street price of a PD128 is $500 and for a KD140 $1100, I can only conclude people are not thinking in terms of alternatives.

Comment

"What this does for me is reinforce the notion that the flagship e-kits from these companies are crazy expensive and damn ugly. For $7k you can a buy a similarly sized professional acoustic kit with top-end cymbals that sounds and looks absolutely gorgeous. And I'd wager that in 10 years the resale value of the acoustic will be much closer to that price point than will be the case for the e-kit. There isn't anything particularly advanced in a tom or cymbal pad; it's nothing but molded plastic, rubber and a bit of stamped metal. When the street price of a PD128 is $500 and for a KD140 $1100, I can only conclude people are not thinking in terms of alternatives."

Got to agree that e-kits are expensive not so sure about the ugly though. However, the comparison between the market value of a great acoustic kit and e-kit is a ridiculous one. They are completely different things. Point me in the direction of an acoustic kit an cymbals that I can practice on in the house without waking up the rest of the family please. Not going to happen is it. E-kit and acoustic kit. Chalk and cheese yes?
                  TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Comment

...yet Jim's comparison once again reinforces the theory of mine, that the less electronics are inside a piece of gear, the more it will hold its value over time (...we are talking about time in years).

Few electrical instruments - reflected by a 'valuable classic' status these instruments have achived - really have a good resale value...

Comment

Don't forget to add the cost of a decent microphone setup when comparing acoustic to electronic kits. Sure e-kits don't make a big sound by themselves, but they're ready to be plugged into a recording desk/pa system without the added expense of mics plus associated mountings etc.

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

The OP is looking at comparing e-kits mainly Yamaha and Roland. Not sure if the comparison with acoustic kits or the long term resale value of e-kits is relevant to the thread.
                        TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

Comment

Now added DTX 900 and moved TD-15KV. I have double checked the DTX700 price as compared to the DTX750 at different sites in Australia and the prices are correct. The DTX 750 has all 3 zone toms instead of single zone, an extra cymbal and double kick added. Cheers. Swainy.

Comment

• flurbs
                            flurbs commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry, when I said "There shouldn't be that price difference between the Yamaha 700 and 750 kits", I wasn't meaning you were wrong - I meant that there's not enough difference in the kits to justify that big a price increase.
                        Working...
                        X