Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi-Hat or Crash or Other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Hat or Crash or Other?

Hey All,

This is my first post to the forums. I've been reading on for a while while setting up my fairly new TD-15K set.
    It's been a few months since I've been playing on it, after transitioning from an acoustic kit with the same setup.

Just to remind you, the TD-15K has a Hi-Hat, Crash, Ride, 3 Toms, Snare and Bass.

I got a CY-8 crash cymbal for Christmas, because my family knew that I was looking at adding either the crash or another hi-hat to the mix as well as a fourth tom.

I'm trying to decide if i would rather keep the crash or return it for the second hi-hat (which could double as a crash since it's electric) when I go to purchase the fourth tom.
    The main reason that I'm leaning toward the second high-hat is that I am going through the "new breed" book and it recommends having both the left and the right handed high-hat. I also like the idea of the smaller pad acting as a splash at times.

The idea of a second crash isn't a bad thought either though, and I want to hear if you think it would be better for any reason.

The other option would be to forego the fourth tom and keep the high-hat and crash, but I can't do all three at the moment because the TD-15 brain only has two auxiliary inputs, and I don't want to add a second brain or upgrade to the TD-30.

I play a lot of alternative, pop(y) almost electronic type music (think Foster the People, Tove Lo, MS MR).

What do you recommend?
    Is there something else I should be thinking through?

( I put the poll in here because i think that's cool, but I'm also interested in hearing a discussion about what's better )
    Get the high-hat and fourth tom
    0.00%
    Keep the crash and get the fourth tom
    66.67%
    Keep the crash and get the high-hat
    33.33%

You could split the third tom line (or any of the dual trigger toms) and have 2 single zone toms on that line, still have a second crash and second hihat - just putting that out and there. (Because, it would seem, noone rimshots toms). Even works on the td15 with its integrated loom - you just need the right splitter (check the female splitters on http://www.drumsplitters.com for an idea)

r.e. equipment - the cy8 has very mixed reviews, but it seems fine if you have a good one. I am all for running what you got so I would use the cy8 in the kit but position it so I could switch it between being a second hat and a crash and just set a couple of kits up with both - you will then quickly find out how much you use that second hat (or if you prefer a rh hat to a left on) without spending any dosh.
    --
    West London, UK.
    TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

• broseborough
      broseborough commented
      Editing a comment
      I had no idea you could get something like the drum splitter. Awesome!

Welcome to the forum, broseborough!

"Keep the crash and get the fourth tom" would be the most popular addition (...probably because one of the external jacks is already labeled 'Crash 2')

If you are already on the pages/exercises that feature a second hihat: you could solve this temporarily, by using a low-mounted crash, which could double as a secondary hihat ...close to what you had in mind, just the other way 'round!

If you are not there yet: Ignore the secondary hat - Get the fourth tom first, it will prove to be more versatile!
    Just make sure you keep the crash...

Happy Drumming!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Great advice. Looking at the Cy-5 compared to the Cy-8 it looks like the only real difference is the beveled center mounting point the makes the Cy-8 pivot the way a crash normally would. Mounting the Cy-5 loose would still allow it to function as a crash with both the rim and bow sensors and retain the floppy feel of the crash. So I think I'll get the Cy-5 so that I have to option to mount it as a hat wether or not I decide to use it that way. Then I'll mount it low like hairmetal suggested allowing me to quickly change between the hat and crash by switching the kit and loosening the mount Thanks for the help!

Comment

Just be aware - as the CY-5 is offset mounted (ie. bigger at the front than the back) - mounting it loose will make it flop forward - it is not balanced like a cy-8
        --
        West London, UK.
        TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

*double post*
          Last edited by hairmetal-81; 01-25-14, 03:14 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I'm a little bit 'meh' about the CY-5.
            To mount it as a hihat, you'll need dedicated mounting pieces. To mount it as a crash, you'll need a Roland L-bracket.

Might be better if you go for one of the bigger CY's used **, and mount it in the regular way, then you can crank the wing-nut down if you must, to get a hihat feel...

HTH

** (I'm thinking used CY-14, maybe a CY-12 if that's too big, same size as your CY-8)

Comment

I'd just keep the CY-8 (as long as its a good one). As HM says, you can always crank the wingnut down to get a more hatty feel and it doesn't cost you anything.
              --
              West London, UK.

Comment

Welcome to the Forums! Post some pics and have fun!

K ;-)
                My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
                E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
                A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
                A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Working...
                X