Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a good trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good trade?

My Refurbished 1990's Pearl Export (with hardware and cymbals) in exchange for a Roland TD-5. It looks like one of their older models, are these as reliable as the newer v drums? I desperately need an electronic kit and this is the first offer I've received after several months of posting on craigslist. Should I go for it?
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/4253973274.html
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome to the forum, SnareAce!

In my humble opinion: NO! ....I'd keep the Pearl Exports first - because they're a 'classic' in their own right, and come equipped with more than decent hardware, and you've surely already outfitted them with high-quality Remo or Evans mylar heads - and start my E-drum adventure from there, going with mesh heads, some triggers and a module.

The TD-5 is another story: The module is a step down from the TD-7, which is hopelessly outdated by today's standards, and was one, if not THE most 'user-unfriendly module' there was, according to other members, featuring a soundset that's unsatifying compared to current offerings.
    The TD-7s smaller version TD-5 can only be worse from there...

Maybe the pads itself would cut it (...if you prefer rubber, that is) but overall, I'd run away from that offer! - certainly trading in perfectly good Exports!

My two cents: Avoid!

HTH
    Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-25-13, 01:57 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I know these drums are classic. I love them even more after refurbishing them with a brand new wrap and all new hardware. (including new badges) However, someone told me that they are worth less because it is not the original wrap. I called my local drum studio (Donn Bennett) and they said the most I would get from selling them is $400. I live in a household of 6 people so I rarely get to play them, which is why an electronic kit is necessary.

By "user-unfriendly", do you mean the module is confusing and difficult to use? How bad are the sounds really? (compared to cheaper brands like Alesis and Simmons) Does the module have all the essential outputs? I will most likely be buying an amp as well. Money wise, is this a fair trade?

Comment

Stay away from that dinosaur TD-5 kit.... ancient history, not much current worth.
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SnareAce View Post
          I know these drums are classic. I love them even more after refurbishing them with a brand new wrap and all new hardware. (including new badges) However, someone told me that they are worth less because it is not the original wrap.
          Well, what color was the original wrap? Anything special (Silver sparkle, Rising Sun graphic)?
          IMO, hearing that a new wrap devaluates the complete drumset (...if the original wrap wasn't in pristine condition, anyway) is nothing short of scarying BS. Contrary, a nicely done re-wrap, in a popular finish, is maybe to fetch a hudred or so more.

I called my local drum studio (Donn Bennett) and they said the most I would get from selling them is $400.
          It's a bit meager, I'd reckon... - Depending on wear and tear used Exports go for something between $500-800. But again, it depends on configuration, finish and overall condition!

By "user-unfriendly", do you mean the module is confusing and difficult to use?
          Yes! It is both, confusing and difficult!

How bad are the sounds really? (compared to cheaper brands like Alesis and Simmons
          Depends on personal taste, really... But even if the sounds were somewhat 'decent', playability will be hampered by missing multisamples, lousy dynamics-articulation and lacking things like randomisation, cymbal-swells, snare-rolls...

The old D4 had cool samples (at least for my taste...), but all the inputs were mono only, and there was either 'Loud' or 'More Loud', dynamics-wise. I'm not overwhelmed by the new Simmons-stuff either, rebranded Medeli - that's all!

Again: Stay away!

Does the module have all the essential outputs?
          Depends what you define as 'essential outputs!'

I can't speak for the TD-5 at the moment (as I'm missing a picture of the modules' rear) but generally, you get a stereo-output and a headphone-output on the lower-end modules.

Eventually (sooner or later - if you start using an external mixer) you will want individual outputs! ...For each kit-piece or 'instrument group'.

I will most likely be buying an amp as well. Money wise, is this a fair trade?
          First, let's hear it, what your budget-allocations are.

HTH
          Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-26-13, 12:21 AM. Reason: fixed a botched [quote] - tag

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Forget that antiquated TD-5.....keep the kit you have. Find a more "up to date module" and a few cymbals.......and then convert your Pearls. You'll get out cheaper and be much more satisfied with your new toys.
            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

What Daniel and HM said.

You seem to like your kit as is, you can't put a price on owning something you love, you'll never get your money's worth.
              If the issue is mostly noise, and not space, then you could make a conversion on your kit.

Depending on your budget and whatever DIY skills you have, but you don't need much more skills than cut and screw!
              Let's say you start with a new module, the latest price/feature wise is the DTX502, that will cost around $260.
              Triggers can be as cheap as buying your own piezos and TRS plugs for a couple of dollars each, to an all-included-just-mount-and-play solution at $25 a trigger, Quartz is an example.
              Mesh heads for each of your toms-snare-kick will depend if you buy one-ply, 2-ply or even 3-ply. From $10 to $50 each.
              And e-cymbals, ranging from $50 to $150 for Yamaha's own PCY-135 and PCY-155. Used are very good way to save money here. Check classified, either here or local.

You will be a little over that $400, but then again, it looks like $400 way low-balling your kit... maybe from a store that was thinking of selling it $800 !
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Something like this will get you far:

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dtx...ls-bundle.html

It's not the "best-bundle-I've-ever-seen" (some things are missing, trigger-bit is debatable) but the module is a winner!

Kraft Music seems to be the only guys in US that at least offer something you could call a " (full) conversion bundle"... - I would prefer something along the $1300-1700 price mark though, that has got everything included!

HTH
                Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-26-13, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Agree with all of the above. That td5 is hideous and out dated. You can get better used for 400 dollars but I would certainly investigate converting your a kit.

It'sNot that hard and is pretty cheap. You can get a used dtx500 module ( the predecessor to the 502 - is a very similar module.) And some piezos and mesh heads and you are 3/4 of the way there, you could even dampen and convert your a cymbals to e cymbals.

It's how I would do it if I had an a kit.
                  --
                  West London, UK.
                  TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

Working...
                  X