Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2Box in Houston, TX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2Box in Houston, TX?

I've been considering upgrading from my TD-9 module to the TD-15. That is, UNTIL I started reading about the 2Box here. Does anyone in the Houston, TX area have a 2Box they would be willing to demo? I'm primarily concerned with how hot my Roland cymbals would be.

Thanks!
    TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

2Box module works great with Roland pads. As far as Roland cymbals go, the hi hat wont work unless you buy a HH converter box for it. Search on this forum and youll find it. The crashes all work fine but the ride will only be a 2 zone cup and bow ride. Ive used a 2Box with both my Roland TD30 kit and my Jobeky kit an most recently Im using external ddrum triggers on regular acoustic heads and Im loving it!
    - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
    - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

MY YOU TUBE DRUM COVER CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/gregthegroove

Comment

Thanks Greg. I had read somewhere on here that the Roland cymbals were a bit hot on the 2Box. Just wanted to hear/feel for myself - if possible.

Comment

Are your cymbals all CY-8s?
        If you search around on the forum a bit, you'll find that they have their issues with build-/trigger-quality. Hotness might pose nothing more than a slight nuisance, but long-term reliability with a CY-8 will be the bigger problem!

Just a small something to think about.

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

OK. After reading as much as I can on this and the 2Box forum and watching several 2Box videos, I'm convinced now that I at least want the module.

My question is - is there a compelling reason to get the whole 2Box kit?

My TD-9 kit works well. I don't notice any real hotspots and my 2 CY-8s work well. If I keep the kit I might upgrade to a nicer looking snare, but that would be about it. The kit needs to periodically travel and I like the small footprint.

Comment

Apologies on the dup. Didn't notice the tablet was working.
            Last edited by billgtx; 12-29-13, 09:37 PM. Reason: dup post

Comment

Originally posted by billgtx View Post
              My question is - is there a compelling reason to get the whole 2Box kit?.
              In my opinion, no...
              • A nice Gibraltar rack will have more options, will be rock sturdy, and less 'fumbly' than the 2box rack.
              • Yamaha crashes can be had for cheap money used, and perform just as well.
              • If you go with Jman's hihat-controller box, pretty much every hihat pad which you desire can be used with the 2box module - even a two-part hihat like the VH-13!

To disperse any concerns regarding compatibility issues, make sure to read this post (...and the whole '2Box Gear Compatibility and Mods Links and Builds" thread!) :
              http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ad...678#post972678

You can safely get only the module!

HTH

Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-30-13, 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling, added link

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                [*]A nice Gibraltar rack will have more options, will be rock sturdy, and less 'fumbly' than the 2box rack.
                I have the Roland MDS-9 rack and it works well for me.

[*]Yamaha crashes can be had for cheap money used, and perform just as well.
                Good to know. As I understand it my CY-12R/C will lose either the bell or the crash when I use the 2Box module. I like having 3 distinct crash sounds so I might want to get another cymbal to make up for it.

[*]If you go with Jman's hihat-controller box, pretty much every hihat pad which you desire can be used with the 2box module - even a two-part hihat like the VH-13!
                I talked to JMan about that and I have the CY-5/FD-8 combo and he didn't think the controller box would fit in the FD-8 so might have to get a HH stand. They are cheap enough used, so not really a concern.

You can safely get only the module!
                Thanks!

Next question.

I have 2 TD-9 complete cable harnesses. One on the kit and a backup. Would it be worthwhile modifying one of the harnesses to be individual balanced cables (i.e., cutting the cable at the harness end and soldering on a balanced plug)? Or should I go ahead and spend the money to get individual cables? I'm thinking individual cables will run about $150 or so.

Comment

I have 2 TD-9 complete cable harnesses. One on the kit and a backup. Would it be worthwhile modifying one of the harnesses to be individual balanced cables (i.e., cutting the cable at the harness end and soldering on a balanced plug)? Or should I go ahead and spend the money to get individual cables? I'm thinking individual cables will run about $150 or so.
                  Since you already have the cable harness installed it might be worth it to splice TRS cable ends, or you could just hold onto it or sell it and buy a bunch of Hosa CSS-110R and CSS-115R cables. A guy I know Blake has an eBay store. Even though he doesn't list them he usually has a bunch of used Hosa cables he sells for cheap. Here is a link to his store, you might try contacting him:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=...ake41482&rt=nc
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks, Jman! I'll be contacting you about your HH controller box and 32GB extender as soon as I get a module on order.

Comment

Modifying is overthinking matters IMO. Way to complicated! Instead, look into these:

Price-wise, that's 20 Euros, from Thomann.
                      I've got the this info from Angr77. (Thanks, Anders!)

I think Jman is looking for-, or has found a source for good hihat stands. He has offered complete 'Stealth' hihat stands in the past, maybe he will be able to offer them again in the future (stand & FD controller pedal & controller box - all in one!)

No need for a new rack, of course, if the MDS-9 works well for you!

HTH

Comment

Hey great find. Dang - I don't know if straight connectors will work on the CY cymbals. I can sometimes barely get the angled connectors to fit. But that's only a couple of connectors. The pads and pedals will take the straight connectors.

Comment

Dang - I don't know if straight connectors will work on the CY cymbals.
                          True that! ...should have kept that in mind. Apologies!

Comment

No problem. Looks like to ship from Thomann to the US is 30 Euros. Yikes. I'm sure I can find something in the US.

Comment

I use 1/4" right angle adapters for cymbals that straight plugs wont work with.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-angle-adapter
                              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Working...
                              X