Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with Bluetooth Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with Bluetooth Headphones

Has anyone had success using some of the latest generation of high end bluetooth headphones with the TD-30? I am looking at models like the Parrot Zik and wondering if there is any latency at all.
    Also, what bluetooth transmitter did you use in the TD-30 module? There are some non-branded ones on Amazon fairly cheap but I am interested with any experiences people have had to date.

Any headphones that have an analogue->digital stage (like bluetooth) will have latency. Even if it's only 5ms, when you add it to the 5ms or so of a Roland module, it starts to jarr. Why do you feel the need to go wireless?

Comment

If you want to go wireless...you should consider proferssional IEM systems....you will never notice any latency...ever.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Someone always help make seriuosly posts i'd condition. This can be really the very first time. I like this kind of blog.

Comment

I tried a cheap ish pair a few years back which were rubbish!....went corded Grado's in the end

Comment

Yeah - most bluetooth headphones which are not pro-iems are built for use in situations where latency isnt an issue (as it is either already high - such as on the phone, or irrelevent such as listening to music).

Playing through them would be hard work I fear.
            --
            West London, UK.
            TD-11 module | DTXplorer rack | 3 x tp65 | 12" millenuim mesh head snare | cy-5, pcy65s and pcy150 cymbals | fd8 hh | krigg kick trigger w/ mapex raptor pedal.

Comment

the latency was fine but the quality not!!

Comment

Sorry to pull up an old post but it's been 3 years since this was written and bluetooth headphones have come along way. Wondering if there are any updates/new thoughts to this topic. In 2016 is anyone using bluetooth headphones while practicing? Is latency and quality still too much of any issue? Thx

Comment

Regular Bluetooth is anywhere between 100 and 250ms latency, clearly out of the question for real-time drumming. Bluetooth Smart claims as low as 6ms which would put it in the ballpark for use but even if that's achievable it would put the total system latency over 10ms - too slow for me, your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by flurbs View Post
                    Bluetooth Smart claims as low as 6ms which would put it in the ballpark for use...
                    True, but audio isn't supported by BLE/Smart basically because bandwidth would be too low for music applications. Voice might work, but it isn't currently part of the standard because that wasn't the design goal for BLE. BLE was designed for low power, low bandwidth applications.

Comment

Oh...yeah 100 is way too high. Shame....Ok, thanks!

Comment

Ran into the same problem and wanted to see if it was just me. First ran a Bluetooth adapter to the output of a headphone amplifier and then to a set of Bluetooth headphones, in a setup that uses an SPDS and a metronome mix. The output to the speakers was a good half second AHEAD of what was going to the headphones. For troubleshooting purposes I tried both a different set of headphones and also going directly from the SPDS rather than the amplifier. No luck on both. What's odd though is that running the adapter out of a home theater receiver from the headphone jack to the same headphones produced a very slight delay when listening to dialog on a TV show, but it was so minimal it was barely noticeable. Why is it so different for this type of application? Has anyone found a workaround? Wireless headphones would be absolutely ideal in a live situation but if it has the delay it obviously won't work.

Comment

Working...
                        X