Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha vs. Roland cymbals for use with Roland module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha vs. Roland cymbals for use with Roland module

I'm in the planning stages of my next DIY drum based kit. I'm considering both the Roland TD-20X module and the TD-12 module. As far as cymbals go, my experience is with a TD-12 module, using a CY-13R for a ride, (2) CY-12R/C's as crashes, and the VH-12 HH. I bought them in used in excellent condition for around $825. I'm thinking about going the same route again. I'm also considering going with Yamaha cymbals this time. I would need a ride, two crashes, and a HH. Anyone care to chime in on the pros and cons of this decision? I believe I could save money with the Yamaha cymbals but will there be compatability/performance issues to consider?
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

The Yamaha RHH hihat could be troublesome on a TD module. Maybe not the pad itself, but generally, controller-pedals seem to be picky.

The PCY-155 as a ride will work (with some limitations maybe), but you will have to mod it first.

The Yamaha PCY-135 crashes work fine. Lots of members using them. Highly recommended!

HTH
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I would stick with a Roland ride unless you like DIYing a new jack on a PCY cymbal to get the Bow and Bell to sound. Otherwise, for crashes, the PCY-135 works great on Roland modules. I believe the Rolands trigger the slightest bit better, though nothing drastically noticeable, but the Yamaha's are easier to choke than the Roland cymbals. I like the look of the Roland cymbals over the Yamahas but for the price, the Yamaha's are a great deal.
      I think my work is done here.

Comment

+1 for the Yami 135....

Comment

Working...
        X