Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMC-6 vs TD-3 as trigger to midi expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMC-6 vs TD-3 as trigger to midi expansion

Hi guys

I'm running out of inputs with my EXP TD10, so i'm looking for an expansion module.
    I use my drum only with VST so I don't care about stock module sounds.

The question is: At the same price wich is better?

TMC-6 has 5 piezo/swich inputs (one of thos can be used as hihat control), 1 piezo/piezo input and a MIDI OUT
    TD-3 has 4 piezo/swich inputs, 4 mono inputs, 1 piezo/piezo input, 1 hihat control input, MIDI IN and OUT

If i'm right the TD-3 seems to be the best option due to more inputs (and is a proper drum module too, even if I don't care about it).
    Does the TMC-6 have a better hihat control than my TD10 exp?
    TMC-6 officially support 3-zone cymbals but I've another important question: with the TD-3 can I use 3-zone cymbals with VST software?

Have you considered this option?
    Yamaha DTX 502. It has USB which is all you need, since you are triggering VSTs.
    I recommend you consult the manual or wait to hear from owners to be absolutely sure, but as far as I can tell:

3 Piezo/Switch/Switch(= 3 zone for Yamaha pads) (or can be 2 zone for non-Yamaha): SN, CR, RD
    Not sure about the HH pad input, but I believe it is only 2 zone, not 3 zone.
    8 possible Mono inputs < Dual Inputs - Kick, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3 >
    3 possible Piezo/Piezo inputs < Tom1, Tom2, Tom3 > called "2P" in settings

Also check out this info regarding the HH pedal input:
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...2-module/page2
    Last edited by Vectron; 11-17-13, 05:32 PM.

Comment

i've never used a yamaha module (i've yamaha cymbals with 3 way mod to work with roland modules)
      the dxt502 has a lot of inputs and a lot of piezo/piezo...but i think is more expensive than a td3 or a tmc-6 too...am i wrong?
      answering to my question: td3 or tmc6?

ps: a yamaha module will work flawlessy as expansion for a roland one?

Comment

Originally posted by Ch3f View Post
        ...but i think is more expensive than a td3 or a tmc-6 too...am i wrong?
        I just had a look on ebay, to determine used prices on both TMC-6 and TD-3:
        TD-3: between $150 - 190
        TMC-6: between $200 -250

This is rather steep, and I personally would avoid them - even for only triggering VSTs, seeing that Kraft Music offers a DTX-502 for $259 new in bundled form, with module-clamp and cables (!!!).

Vectron's suggestion is quite a good one!

As you have said nicely:
        'more inputs, and a proper drum module too (even if I don't care about it)'. Exactly this IMO is why a DTX-502 is a good option in your case.

i've never used a yamaha module (i've yamaha cymbals with 3 way mod to work with roland modules)
        The modded Yamaha cymbals poses a problem initially, but I'm sure that mod can be 'un-modded'. Yamaha cymbals go well with Yamaha modules, as you might can imagine.

answering to my question: td3 or tmc6?
        What you will get with a Yamaha DTX-502, that neither the TD-3. nor the TMC-6 posseses, is absolute newest triggering technology. This is a big point when using advanced, dedicated software, like BFD or SD.

a yamaha module will work flawlessy as expansion for a roland one?
        The Yamaha should work flawlessly midied into a Roland module (if you can assign different note-numbers).

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
          What you will get with a Yamaha DTX-502, that neither the TD-3. nor the TMC-6 posseses, is absolute newest triggering technology. This is a big point when using advanced, dedicated software, like BFD or SD.
          Precisely, what are the benefits of this newest triggering technolgy?

Hi guys
          TMC-6 officially support 3-zone cymbals but I've another important question: with the TD-3 can I use 3-zone cymbals with VST software?
          anybody knows if those modules wich don't support 3way cymbals are still able to do it by assigning the right sound at the right midi note?

meanwhile...thanks for the help

Comment

I live in Italy..
            Oops! My most sincere Scusi, ch3f!

Just when I thought I had found the most ideal website for U.S.-offerings, turns out the poster who asks is actually overseas, ...and right next to my country!

That's good! - it may makes things a bit easier!

The two module i've mentioned (also with the alesis trigger I/O) are the best option for a price range of €90-130,the dxt502,even if worth it, is double this price.

Your prices are much better. Is it a local used offer?

I will do the same thing as before, but Ebay Italia this time:
            - There is only one TD-3 module, 125 EUR.
            - Two TMC-6 offers, between 270 - 300 EUR.

I would have liked to show you a DTX 502 at Thomann, but it's out-of-stock, or not available!
            They only have the DTX-700 module at the moment (Grrrrr.... )
            http://www.thomann.de/it/cat_PG_2.ht...modules&oa=pra

..and that module is hard to find.
            Yes, it appears you are absolutely right! Maybe they are all sold out!
            It seems there are almost no 502 modules here.

My first 'go to' place for e-drums in Europe would be Drum-Tec:
            http://www.drum-tec.de/modules-c-76.html

Precisely, what are the benefits of this newest triggering technolgy?
            The most noticable benefit is all 3-way triggering on cymbals and better dynamics.
            Maybe even better cymbal-swells or snare-rolls. Someone with a DTX-502 will answer this better.

Friendly greetings from the neighbour-country.
            Ciao!
            Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-20-13, 03:05 AM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Just when I thought I had found the most ideal website for U.S.-offerings, turns out the poster who asks is actually overseas, ...and right next to my country!
              where are you from?

Your prices are much better. Is it a local used offer?
              exactly

cheers mate

Comment

where are you from?
                I'm in Switzerland, near Zurich!

Just a quick question:
                What are the big music-stores in Italy? 'Essemusic' maybe?

(I'm looking for an equivalent in Italy to Switzerland's or Germany's 'Musik Produktiv' music-store! Is there an 'Musik Produktiv' in Italy?)

cordiali saluti!

Comment

Working...
                X