Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difference in Roland cymbal pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference in Roland cymbal pads?

I am building an e-kit around a Roland TD-30 module, piece by piece. I plan to use Roland cymbal pads. It seems the newest pads that come with the TD-30KV kits have a sort of silver finish. The older pads may or may not still be available, but are darker. I'm not too fond of the silver pads, but are they "better" in a technical way? Also, I think I could be happy with a VH-12 hi-hat, but is the VH-13 so superior I need to cough up the extra money?

IMHO...the 12 is sufficient...but the VH-13 is much better. It has a new(different) trigger design than the VH-12 and in my opinion the TD-30 utilizes this feature optimally. The MG new (Metallic Grey) series actually looks great! However the older black CY14/15 are exactly the same as far as trigger design and performance...and they cost less.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

*server-error double-post*
      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-15-13, 01:12 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I'd just like to add, that there have been some forum-comments, that said the silver CY cymbals turn into an ugly yellow over time! ...I'd try to avoid that!

If you just go with the regular black ones....:

- you can get them used, save a buck
        - they have the same trigger design and performance (Thanks Daniel!)
        - you can buff them up to 'like-new' looking, with the magic of (what my US-colleagues call) '303 aerospace protectant'.
        ...Yes, it works, I've seen before- and after-pictures on cymbals!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Just to clarify: The VH-13, the the other TD-30 associated Roland cymbal models are MG (Metallic Gray). The other models currently available are black. Some older models seem to be Silver which are the ones (I think) to which haimetal-81 is referring.
          Roland TD-30, VH-13, 2 pcs CY-12c, Alesis DM Pro 14" three zone ride, Pintech Concertcast dual zone: 12" snare, 2 pcs 10" toms, 12" tom, 12" kick, Gibraltar rack, DW 9000 or Axis A pedal, Gibraltar HH stand, DW snare stand, DIY "Butkicker" style tactile transducer system using Aura shakers.

Comment

Comment

I think I can even accurately put them in a time-context:

2000 -
              In the early 2000s, Roland moved away from using standard rubber pads as cymbal triggers. The CY-series of V-Cymbals where introduced as part of an expansion card 'TDW-10' for the then current module TD-10.

Black was the first color they came in, the first models where the 'stalwarts' CY-14C and CY-15R.

2001 - 2003
              The range was expanded. Still the same black finish:

CY-12R/C 12-inch splash
              CY-12H fixed hihat pad
              CY-8
              CY-5

Hihats in black were the VH-11 and the newer VH-12 two-piece hihat..

Currently, models still available in 'black only' include:
              VH-11
              CY-13R
              CY-12R/C
              CY-12C

CY-8

2004 - 2012
              Next in line was Silver (SV), that was part of the improved TD-20X kit.
              It was available only on the 'stalwarts' CY-14C and CY-15R and the VH-12 hihat.

2012 - and counting
              Along the introduction of the TD-30 came the newest color Metallic Gray (MG).
              Models currently include again the CY-14C and CY-15R, plus the newly improved VH-13.

For the sake of completeness, I'll mention the CY-5 10" cymbal. It is featured on the HD and TD-4KP 'entry-level' kits, and sports a 'white and black' color-scheme.

Up to now, there were nine different CY models (...spanning from the 10-inch CY-5 to the 15-inch CY-15R ride, no china-cymbal though), and three different VH hihats (VH-11, VH-12, and VH-13).

HTH

Comment

This forum's members are great! Thanks for your help. I was able to find these examples of what you are describing. Actually, I think the metallic grey looks pretty good! But I don't think the silver is for me.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

These are the ones!
                  Should have included them in my post - a nice picture can tell alot!

Comment

Working...
                  X