Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD-10. Still a good buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-10. Still a good buy?

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I am in the market for a decent electronic drum kit for my growing studio and have a friend that is selling a used Roland TD-10 for $900. I've attached images of the kit and know it's in great condition.

So basically my question is: Is this a good deal? Or should I hold off, save up a bit more and buy a newer kit? I know this set was first released in 1997, so it's pretty old, but the mesh heads are still great.

My plan was to buy this, in the future I would upgrade the cymbals, kick pad and hi-hat (buying used) and use the brain via MIDI (the kit includes the UM-10 adapter) with my interface/DAW and use samples from Superior Drummer, etc. I can't decide if I want to purchase this and upgrade, or just wait it out 6 more months and buy something newer. The module does not have the upgrade card.

I am primarily a guitar player, and this would be used for basic practice, jamming and recording in my home studio. I can also do payments with my friend as well so it could be in my studio tonight.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

for $900 is not bad deal at all, consider all the mesh pads [2 PD100 and 3 PD120] would cost around $600 already

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

What pads would you recommend for the cymbals, hi hat and kick?

Comment

Welcome to the forum, DrTrevorkian!

If you tinkering with upgrading pads already, the offer might not be what you really want in the first place, and you'll lose money in the long run!

'Get the most module you can afford' is a common advice in this forum!

My advice would be to look for a module that is of newer date. Used TD-9's seem to be popular!

Or you could try scoring a used TD-12, which, as of now, is relatively future-proof, since Roland hasn't offered a direct replacement for it yet. Plus it will offer you some nice expandability!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Hair Metal 81, thanks for the great reply!

Since I will be using Superior Drummer via MIDI on my DAW, is the only reason to upgrade to a better module to have the e-Cymbal 3-zone functionality? Do you think the pads and rack are still worthy keeping if I do just upgrade a few cymbals, kick and hi hat?

I plan on buying used from the Guitar Center used page and don't necessarily need Roland brand as I've heard the Yamaha cymbals are good contenders at half the cost. I'm not a pro drummer by any means and just want a great set that I can slowly upgrade, practice, and record with.

Perhaps I could upgrade to the TD-12/TD-9 module later when I'm ready and sell of the TD-10 module?

*EDIT*: Basically, I have about $1000 to spend at first, then slowly start making upgrades. My other options were to get Alesis DM10 kit or something similar. But I keep reading "ONLY BUY ROLAND!". So with this older used kit..it seems logical instead of getting a brand new Alesis.

Or maybe I should just borrow the kit for a few months, try it out and buy a newer used kit (the TD-12)? Help! I'm stuck in a conundrum!
          Last edited by DrTrevorkian; 11-13-13, 01:58 PM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

The question is: Does the module support the pads (especially hihat, snare and cymbals) you'd like to have?

3-Zone ride-capability was only available with an 'expanded' TD-10 (to use this feature, a card had to be installed, TDW-10, I believe). Newer modules support 3-Zone rides from the get-go!

Also, newer modules offer better triggering-capabilities, which is a strong point to consider when using VST-software.

The Yamaha-cymbals are indeed very good contenders, with lots of fans here. Highly recommended!

Borrowing a kit is a good option ...if you've got an oportunity. This way, you can familiarize yourself with the kit, and gain experience. If you're done, you return it without the hassle of putting up ads or shooting pictures.

...and you will have a better understanding of what you prefer (and what you dislike) for your next, your own kit!

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Thanks again for such a great reply!

So I have good news. I was able to do some bartering and trading, and ended up getting rid of an old Jackon guitar, Boss drum machine, a Super Nintendo and a old 5.1 Home Theater for trade...so I didn't hand over any cash and got rid of some old stuff!

The set itself is in great condition and I couldn't be happier. Would you suggest that I save up and get a newer module and sell off the old TD-10? I would like to get better cymbals and kick pad eventually. The pads are awesome so I think I got a great deal on the trade. The rack is super nice and everything feels rigid and solid.

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

*double post, sorry*
                Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-14-13, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrTrevorkian View Post
                  The set itself is in great condition and I couldn't be happier. Would you suggest that I save up and get a newer module and sell off the old TD-10?
                  Congrats on your new kit!
                  Yes, if it was me, I'd definitely sell off the TD-10 module to get something even nicer!

The rack is super nice and everything feels rigid and solid.
                  The rack itself will pay itself off. You may want to take a look at the rack-clamps. If they are plastic, you may want to invest in some good, solid ones made out of metal!

Thanks again for all your help!
                  Anytime!

Comment

It was a 1991 Jackson King V Std. with an EMG-81, and original case (in very rough shape). The guitar is in 'okay' shape. Has some dings and whatnot. I got it back in high school (1998) and I haven't played it in a long time since I got myself my dream guitar, a Jackson SL2H. The King V was my shredding guitar for years. Has more nostalgic value than anything to me, but I'm glad to see it go and get some use elsewhere.

Yea, the rack clips are plastic. Do you have suggestions on which metal clips to upgrade too?

Also, what do you think I could get for the TD-10 module? And what module would you suggest? The module is in great shape. No damage or cosmetic flaws.

Thanks again for your help, I'm a newbie when it comes to high-end Roland V-sets.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by DrTrevorkian View Post
                      It was a 1991 Jackson King V Std. with an EMG-81, and original case (in very rough shape). The guitar is in 'okay' shape. Has some dings and whatnot. I got it back in high school (1998) and I haven't played it in a long time since I got myself my dream guitar, a Jackson SL2H. The King V was my shredding guitar for years.
                      Awesome, always liked the look of pointy Jacksons & Charvels!

Yea, the rack clips are plastic. Do you have suggestions on which metal clips to upgrade too?
                      One word: Gibraltar!
                      They are quality, a bit pricey, but if you look around, used ones can be had.

Also, what do you think I could get for the TD-10 module? And what module would you suggest? The module is in great shape. No damage or cosmetic flaws.
                      Wait till the experienced Roland-members chime in - They will know the prices!

Thanks again for your help, I'm a newbie when it comes to high-end Roland V-sets.
                      Cheers!
                      No problem! We have all started somewhere!

Comment

Awesome advice! I will look into the Gibraltars. I've had decent luck with the used Guitar Center website, so I'll start there.

I forgot to mention that the kit came with a DW5000 single kick pedal in great shape, too!

I attached pics ofthe clamp, rack and module. I just got the pads today at lunch do I didn't have time to take pics yet. We brought the rack over to make sure there was enough room.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice score on the DW 5000. A true classic, that just keeps on going. A workhorse of a pedal!

Your kitty is cute, seems to enjoy the rack too!

Just make sure it doesn't make itself too comfortable, or else you two will have a dispute over whom the rack belongs to!
                          Hehehe....

Comment

Working...
                          X