Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New To Recording - TD15-KV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Recording - TD15-KV

Finally back to drumming after a 15 year break. Recently bought a Roland TD-15KV. I've been enjoying putting mp3 on a USB drive and playing along. I've been using the Quick Record function when playing along with mp3s and I can listen back on the TD-15 drum module. Now I'd like to do some of the same recording on my Mac. I'd like to play along with mp3 (on a USB drive, maybe off my iPod, etc.) and then do a recording of the song I'm playing along with and my drums. I'm thinking something cheap and relatively easy to start with now that I'm just getting back into playing. When I'm done I'd like to have mp3 files of the original song + my drumming.

I use an external recorder: it's cheap, it has good sound quality and it's very easy to operate.
    http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/
    Roland TD15 --> PICTURE
    XM 12" snare - pdx100 - 2x pdx8 - 12" DIY with Wronka Easytrigger
    cy12c - cy13r - cy14c
    Triggera Krigg

Comment

Welcome to the forum, matchgrip!

Personally, I own a Zoom H4n, and wouldn't want to miss it!

Couple of features:
      - Built-in metronome, tuner, and effects,
      - Recording modes for stereo, 4-channel surround (using external mics) and 4-channel multitrack,
      - Playback with variable speed and A-B repeat, pre-record function & limiter,
      - Backlit display,

it comes with a mic-grip handle and its' own cute protection case. - ...heck, there's even a small speaker built-in!

All this (and more) with just 2 AA batteries. You will be able to record up to 16 hours with a 16-GB sd-card.
      http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

You can't really go wrong with one of these, and since its' successor is out, used ones are available at decent prices! I'd highly suggest you look into one!

HTH
      Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-12-13, 02:52 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I'm not sure if this will work for your application, but all I do is connect my td15 by USB into my 10 year old hp pavillion (Im running windows 7) , set my recording device to td15(which just shows up in the option list) and with audacity press record. Whatever I play is then recorded. Seeing where it's this easy with an old PC and free software, I bet it's gonna work great with a Mac.
        Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
        Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

Thanks Matt. So do you play along to mp3 through your TD15? When you record does it record the song your playing along to or just your drum track?

Comment

I play along with mp3s all the time, but I dont record while playing along with them. And yes you will record the mp3 along with your drums this way(on the same track) if thats what you want. Its extremely easy.
            Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
            Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

I do the same thing as Matt only with my TD-11 which I believe works similarly to the TD-15. I play along with and record both MP3's and Spotify. I have a headphone jack splitter plugged into the module's headphone jack with one port going to my headphones and the other going to my laptop's mic in. I record using either Audacity or WavePad. There is a bit of a background hiss on the silent portions of a recording but not bad. You can remove the noise after recording but I'd rather stop in pre-record. I'd like to find a "free" high/hiss filter to stop this. If anyone knows of something like this, let me know.

Steve
              Last edited by EssKayKay; 11-14-13, 09:17 AM.

Comment

So finally got updated drivers today. Got my TD15 hooked up to my Mac through USB. Downloaded audacity. Did a recording but there is a lot of popping and such. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Matchgrip,

this 'popping' sounds like you have the buffer-latency set a tad too low. Try raising it a 'little' bit.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Danoh - Thanks for the quick reply. Is that something I'd set in Audacity or on my Roland drum module? I'm brand new to Audacity which looks to have a learning curve too

Comment

You can set this in Audacity, under 'Preferences':

It's where it reads 'Audio to buffer'. Try to increase the number a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchgrip View Post
                        Danoh - Thanks for the quick reply. Is that something I'd set in Audacity or on my Roland drum module? I'm brand new to Audacity which looks to have a learning curve too
                        Also close other applications that you are not using (browsers, etc), and make sure TimeMachine is disabled while you do your recording.

-- Greg

Comment

Is there any way to confirm that the roland and my Mac are connected correctly? If I knew they were and it wasn't something with the connection or the cable then I'd know it's just something with audacity. I played with the buffer quite a bit and nothing changed

Comment

I'm not familiar with Mac, but in general, if the module is connected properly, it will show as an audio-, or midi-interface (depending on what you use it for) in the settings-menu of your software.

Something along the lines of "Roland TD-15 Audio In 1/2" or similar.

Comment

Working...
                            X