Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding pads to TD-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding pads to TD-11

I recently purchased my TD-11 kit and I have really been enjoying it. I think I now have a grasp on splitters, how they work, and where to get them. I have been programming my rims to be drums and cymbals to get as many sounds as possible with the few pieces I have. But if I can use pads instead of rims, that would be much better. I have spent most of my life trying to avoid hitting rims, so hitting them now is a bit odd.

My question is for anyone familiar with the TD-11. Do you have any suggestions for the positioning of additional toms and cymbals? I would like to add two toms and a cymbal, but I do not know where I can put them on the rack. I should note that I do not want to add a floor tom – I really don’t play the floor tom very much, and an additional one would be wasted.

I should also clarify that my kit is literally set up in a closet. Getting a larger rack is not really an option right now since I am limited to the space I have.

I welcome your ideas!

Thanks.
    Roland TD-11KV with Iron Cobra 600 pedal, Simmons DA50 monitor, and VEX APEX and SYNC packs for TD-11 / Slingerland 1960s champagne sparkle kit with Roto Toms and Zildjian cymbals / Fender Telecaster ‘52 re-issue / 2013 Gibson SG Std / Hohner B2B bass / Yamaha FG-400A acoustic

Welcome to the forum, Mule Bell!

Instead of going with a bigger rack, you can get used bars and clamps, i.e. by Gibraltar.
    They will be chrome instead of black, if you mind aesthetically, but it will help you to get pads above each other (i.e. a second row of high-toms), and not take up any more floor space.

Regarding splitting toms, you may look into 'drumsplitters'.

They are connected to the other end of the db25 breakout cable (the end where the jack plugs are) and go between the db25 connector and the pad, sort of like an extension cable.

There are two seperate versions to split 'tom inputs' (piezo/switch) and for 'aux inputs' (piezo/piezo). These do work only if the inputs are dual-zone, not on mono inputs, obviously.

Happy Drumming!

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I was definitely planning to go with drumsplitters. Possibly one of each kind -– one to split my aux input and one to split an existing tom or cymbal.

I like the idea of a second row of high toms above my current toms. That’s exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I want to add high toms, but I don’t want them positioned straight off of my snare. I prefer deeper toms in that position. So I will check for bars and clamps that I can squeeze into that area of the rack.

I like this approach, but if anyone has different ideas, I welcome them too!

Thanks.
      Roland TD-11KV with Iron Cobra 600 pedal, Simmons DA50 monitor, and VEX APEX and SYNC packs for TD-11 / Slingerland 1960s champagne sparkle kit with Roto Toms and Zildjian cymbals / Fender Telecaster ‘52 re-issue / 2013 Gibson SG Std / Hohner B2B bass / Yamaha FG-400A acoustic

Comment

I added an additional tom via drumsplitter and cymbal via the aux crash port on the module. I got all four toms to fit on the MDS-4V rack; five may be tough but the "stacking" idea may work better. I use a floor stand for the extra cymbal. I've heard splitting cymbal inputs does not work as well as the drum. I split my tom1.

Good luck....
        Steve

Comment

Wow thanks guys! You learn something new every day. I didn't know about this drum splitter idea until I read this but it makes sense. I already have a ride cymbal on the extra output so I'll most likely try splitting my floor tom. I love having an extra floor tom on acoustic sets so to have that extra pad would be perfect for me. Thanks a lot, I'm going to go try it out right now! It just so happens that I have the appropriate adapters. =)

Comment

• Tazed
            Tazed commented
            Editing a comment
            If you have a Y-splitter like the one in the picture above, it won't work. You need a DrumSplitter because it has a built in resistor. Standard Y-splitte cables do not - hairmetal81's image is misleading, despite his text being accurate.
            Be aware that DrumSplitters don't give you two inputs in the same way you might think regular inputs work.
            You can't play both inputs simultaneously - so when you split, try to split the input into two items you're not likely to need exactly at the same time (I split a splash and cowbell, as an example). You might also have to really fiddle with settings to get them to play as you expect. A lot of us have found they're novel, but not ideal, as performance is sometimes a bit hit and miss. Again, choose your instruments to split carefully, and you should be OK. With the TD-11, you're quite limited (one input only) so think about that before you invest.
            Good luck!
        Working...
        X