Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD-3 mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD-3 mods

I had posted this in another thread, but figured I'd start a new discussion here as my question really is more general in nature.
    I have been looking at an HD-3. My No. 1 cause for concern is that there is only one crash. I would really, really like to have two plus a ride.

I have read a bunch of comments online that the HD-3 module is not expandable, yet seen others (including a recent thread here) where people have expanded their kits. In a worst case scenario, I would be willing to concede one tom for a second crash. Would that be doable?

Can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to options?

Hi! You cannot expand the HD3 with other pads but I think you can split the ride cymbal into 2 different pads, one for crash and the other for ride. The ride that comes is dual zone... Cheers
    Gretsch USA 1983 with Roland RT-30 triggers and ATV AD5, Korg Wavedrum Global, Sonor Perfect Balance Pedal, Roland KT-10 pedal (left). Zildjian, Paiste Superior Drummer 2, Studio Drummer, Steven Slate Drums

Comment

Originally posted by rrpf View Post
      I think you can split the ride cymbal into 2 different pads, one for crash and the other for ride.
      Would anyone be able to confirm this and give a basic explanation of how?

Thanks so much, everyone.

Comment

It is electrically possible to split the ride, with a Keith Raper circuit I believe. What you get are the two ride sounds
        on separate triggers. The module isn't going to let you put a crash sound on one of them though.

The HD-3 rack is more expandable than you might think since you can buy "replacement" parts from Roland at great prices.
        I added an extra arm to mine and put a TD-9 module on it. Once you have a more flexible module like the TD-9,
        you can add more pads and assign any sounds to them you like.
        Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
        Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
        Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

To split the ride I think it can be done with an Y cable because is a stereo pad. You will have "2 mono pads" then, one for ride and another for crash. The sounds cannot be changed in the module but the midi note can for triggering VSTs. As Kurt mentioned, you can change the pads and even add another module and maintain the small rack...
          Gretsch USA 1983 with Roland RT-30 triggers and ATV AD5, Korg Wavedrum Global, Sonor Perfect Balance Pedal, Roland KT-10 pedal (left). Zildjian, Paiste Superior Drummer 2, Studio Drummer, Steven Slate Drums

Comment

Working...
          X