Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Hi Hat controller on td 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Hi Hat controller on td 30

Hey Evevybody

My TD 30 K rolled in a few weeks back now and naturally I'm looking to expand.

I want to run a second hi hat (prob a cy12) does anyone know if any of the ports can take a second hi hat control so 2 hats and a second pedal can be played indipendatly?

Can a splitter do that? I imagine a splitter would controll both at the same time? I don't want that.

Any advice would be great.

Ta

Steve

Welcome to the forum.

Probly not a second controller but definitely a second HH. In fact you can set any cymbal/pad as a second hat and control it with the same controller. Other than that...you will need another Module or TMI with a controller input as far as I know. Any particular reason you need another separate controller?
    8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Probably easier to set up a drum kit chain to change sounds, unless you need the look of having a second hh...then another module/TMI as daniel said is probably your best option...
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

yep as daniel says, i have a aux hat on the opposite side of the main hats and control the aux main with the main. i think its automatic.
        very cool!
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Thanks guys, its as i expected.

Questions: Whats a TMI? Ans does anyone know if the CY12 is better as a hi hat than say a CY12-C or CY12-R?

I think im going to get a foot switch, which, i believe, will give me the ability to 'lock' a set of hats so i can play a rhythm with my left foot and it not open and close the second set of hats. To answer Daniels question this is kind of why i wanted the second controller but after thinking about it i wont be able to do this with a controller, a foot switch seems the answer....

Thanks again

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SAWdrummer View Post

Questions: Whats a TMI? Ans does anyone know if the CY12 is better as a hi hat than say a CY12-C or CY12-R?

I think im going to get a foot switch, which, i believe, will give me the ability to 'lock' a set of hats so i can play a rhythm with my left foot and it not open and close the second set of hats. To answer Daniels question this is kind of why i wanted the second controller but after thinking about it i wont be able to do this with a controller, a foot switch seems the answer....

Thanks again

Steve
            TMI=Trigger to MIDI Interface....basically any module with MIDI out....but in this case I meant a "module" with no internal sounds like Alesis i/O....MegaDrum.....or TMC-6....these only trigger MIDI using the sounds in another module or from a computer.

I'm pretty you can just "lock" or set the sound of the second set of hats in the closed position sound without having to use a switch if that's all you are going to use it for. No need to buy more gear unless you have to.
            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

Thanks again

Steve
              Daniel answered the TMI question well.
              As far as the CY-12 question goes, there are three Roland CY-12s – one discontinued (CY-12H) and two in production (CY-12R/C, older, and CY-12C, newer).
              The CY-12H (Hi-Hat) was a hi-hat model (non-moving). Not that sensitive and since superseded.
              The CY-12R/C (Ride/Crash) has been around for a long time and is 3-zone (bell/bow/edge) if used with a module capable of 3-zone triggering (ride).\
              The CY-12C (Crash) is the latest, and is 2-zone and a crash only.
              That would be your best 12" Roland cymbal (cheapest, too).
              Alternatively, a CY-5 makes a great auxiliary hi-hat.
              It's small, can fit almost anywhere on the kit and mounts on an L-Rod (or cymbal arm) with a platform you can adjust a bit to get a little bit of loose hat swing (or keep it tight).
              It's also the cheapest cymbal Roland make – by far.
              Using a switch for 'Fixed Hats' selects closed (Fixed 4) only. No slosh. Just tight.
              Can't change that, and it'll affect any hi-hat sound on the module (including your main) and the foot controller will work for both as well.
              If you truly want independent 2nd hats, get a TMC-6 (I have one for sale... ) and run the foot controller and hi-hat off that through the TD-30 percussion set. I believe that will work just fine.

Comment

Wait...so you saying that I can't "fix" my second hat and leave it that way.....and still be able to play my main hat as usual without switching it on and off?

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                  I'm pretty you can just "lock" or set the sound of the second set of hats in the closed position sound without having to use a switch
                  Yes; I did this a few days ago for a special purpose.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                    Wait...so you saying that I can't "fix" my second hat and leave it that way.....and still be able to play my main hat as usual without switching it on and off?
                    I don't think he quite said that, but I think Tazed is right that if you fix hats with a foot switch it affects all hats; just as a hi-hat pedal affects all hats if they're set to normal.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                      I don't think he quite said that, but I think Tazed is right that if you fix hats with a foot switch it affects all hats; just as a hi-hat pedal affects all hats if they're set to normal.

Bruce
                      Ahh...ok. So as I see in your other post that a fixed hat will stay fixed and main hat will stay fully functional without effecting each other as long as I just "set it up that way" do not use a switch to "fix" it. I was sure that you could...I just haven't used it that way for very long time. Thank you.

Been a long day...time to stop fighting this build and reading posts at the same time.

Comment

So my bid to be able to controll 2 hi hats at once continues.

I made the purchase of the FS 6 foot switch in the hope that during play I could select (with FS) the closed hi hat function so I could play my 2nd hats closed wirh my right hand and simultaneously play my main hats with my left foot.

It turns out that the FS closed hi hat function only closes the main hats which was a real dissapointment as this would of been a pretty good solution.

On the plus side the FS is pretty good for flipping between kits quickly, and if anyone is interested I place it long edge at the heal end of my hat pedal. This seems much easier to operate with the heal of the foot and quicker too.

Comment

So my bid to be able to controll 2 hi hats at once continues.

I made the purchase of the FS 6 foot switch in the hope that during play I could select (with FS) the closed hi hat function so I could play my 2nd hats closed wirh my right hand and simultaneously play my main hats with my left foot.

It turns out that the FS closed hi hat function only closes the main hats which was a real dissapointment as this would of been a pretty good solution.

On the plus side the FS is pretty good for flipping between kits quickly, and if anyone is interested I place it long edge at the heal end of my hat pedal. This seems much easier to operate with the heal of the foot and quicker too.
                          Well, there ya go.
                          I would have thought the footswitch would have worked on anything assigned with a hi-hat sound... the controller affects hats that way.
                          Anyway, I agree on the footswitch - I have two DP-2s (as they both cost about 40% of the FS-6U price here in Oz!) and I find the larger pedal easier to hit.
                          I have one each side of my hi-hat pedal, and rotate my foot at the ball to hit either pedal with my left heel.

Comment

"I would have thought the footswitch would have worked on anything assigned with a hi-hat sound... the controller affects hats that way."
                            Me too!

Have you tried assigning anything else to ur FS, like plugging into an aux and triggering sounds?
                            I havnt had time to experiment much yet.

Comment

Nice drumming. But unfortunately still the same plastic sound.
                              plagarism detector

Comment

Working...
                              X