Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need an External CD-rom drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need an External CD-rom drive?

Does anyone of you know if I need an external CD-Rom drive for loading sounds from a CD-rom (drumkit from hell) to a Sampler (Akai Z4)?

Isn't is possible through USB (Z4 has USB standard)? Or otherwise use the SCSI port on the sampler to a printer port on a PC??

Can someone help me out? I'm going to buy one but don't know if I need a CD-rom drive too?

From the various reviews, it looks like it is possible.i'm going the same route for my zendrum www.zendrum.com with the upcoming DFH 2 CD
    Cheers
    Mick
    www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

What do you mean by it's possible? Throug USB or SCSI/ PC? Where did you read these reviews, I would like to read them too.

BTW never saw Zendrums, they look cool!!!!

Pascal

Comment

Pascal,
        sorry my mistake,bummer.....
        There are two USB port.
        One for connecting to PC and other for CD-ROMS,Zip drives. There was me thinking I could load wav files and CDs straight from my ibook..NOPE!!!!
        It will have to be loaded from a CD-ROM or ZIP via USB or SCSI.

Mick
        www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

I don't think your PC CDrom drive will recognise Akai specific CDrom's. Doesn't the Akai recognise wav. files? I may be wrong, but I think you'll need a sepparate drive. You might want to think about Sonic Foundry, Sound Forge, that way you can just buy CD's in wav. and do a batch conversion then transfer via USB. A CDrom drive can be had for around $150 from www.pcconnection.com Sound Forge is around $495. Personally, I like having a CDrom drive just for my sampler. How about a CDR/CDRW. You should call Akai and talk to a tech who can tell you for sure. I'm just guessing because I don't have your model sampler.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Thankx for your view,

I Will buy an external CD-rom drive (99 Euro). I was just wondering about this.

I just hope I'll get my gear this week, so I can really join you guys on this board.

Looking forward to that!!

Comment

Working...
            X