Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only left side works on MIX IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only left side works on MIX IN

I noticed that when running a line-in via Mix In, I only get one side of sound on the headphones. I've tried two differen't sources and still only one side.

Anyone else experiencing this?

does the tip of your cord have one ring or two?one would be mono.
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

two, definately stereo

Comment

the cord tips......from stereo,cd player etc.to your mixin imput have two rings on each end?does'nt sound right.maybe you have a solder joint off behind your minin port.
        -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

this really sucks if my TD-10 isn't working properly

Comment

Here's why

I used to play my vpro (is it still called that?) at a church wearing cans. I got a feed off the mixer but it was always only in my left ear. Frustrated the heck out of me. I was receiving the signal on a balanced 1/4" connector (Tip, ring, sleeve). It was a mono signal. Never worked on both channels of my mix-in input on my TD-10.

So, I made an adapter. It's a "Y" adapter consisting of (2) female XLR connectors soldered to a balance 1/4" (TRS) connector. I soldered pin 3 of one XLR to the Tip of the 1/4" connector, and pin 1 to the sleeve of the 1/4" connector, then on the 2nd XLR, I soldered pin 2 to the ring and pin 1 to the sleeve of the 1/4". I got a stereo signal sent down two lines to me and all was good.

Anyway, on to your question. To answer it properly, I have to ask you a question (sorry). How are you sending the signal to your Mix-In? In other words, what source are you sending from, and what type of output is it? Stereo? Mono? XLR? 1/4"?

The "ONLY" way you can get this to work with ONE cable is to use a STEREO output from your source (IE: MIXER) that has a balanced, 1/4" output that is STEREO and you use a 1/4" balanced (TRS = (T)IP, (R)ing, (S)leeve)) cable to get it into your mix-in.

You can't use a mono cable (TS 1/4"). Won't work.

You can't use a mono 1/4" output. Won't work.

Your source has to have a single 1/4" balanced TRS stereo output.

If you are using a mono output from your source mixer, like an AUX out, a SUB out, the Left out, or Right out, Tape out, etc., you'll always only get the signal in the LEFT channel of the MIX-IN on the TD-10. It won't matter if you use a balanced 1/4" (TRS) or an unbalanced 1/4" (TS), or an XLR output. The result will always be the same: one can working, one can sleeping.

Try it. My Mackie 1202 mixer has a 1/4" balanced stereo headphone output jack. I have to use a 1/4" TRS cable from it into the mix-in of the TD-10 and tah-dah! Sweet sounding stereo in the cans.

If you want to use the main outputs of your mixer, you'll need a Y adapter to get the seperate LEFT and RIGHT signal into the single mix-in input. You can do this with a CD player, just make sure your Y adapter has two RCA connectors connected to a 1/4" TRS jack and you are good to go.

Hope this helps!

Currently, I chucked the cans and am using a stage monitor until I can save up enough $$$ for an in-ear rig! Cans are sooo kooky looking.
            Last edited by Gremz; 01-28-03, 10:55 PM.
            Gremz

vPro/TD-10/TDW-1/KD-7/+xtra PD-7
            Mac G4 400/Digi001/PT LE 5.2.1/JV-1080/++

Comment

Gremz,
              Thanks for the reply. I was going out of my VS2480 via phones into the mix in with a stereo cable. I also tried going out of cd walkman with a stereo cable, still to no avail.

The Y adapter sounds like a viable obtion, though I am really bad with wires!!!

what to do...?

Comment

Originally posted by billy90010
                Gremz,
                Thanks for the reply. I was going out of my VS2480 via phones into the mix in with a stereo cable. I also tried going out of cd walkman with a stereo cable, still to no avail.

The Y adapter sounds like a viable obtion, though I am really bad with wires!!!

what to do...?
                Billy, what is a VS2480, and what type of output connector on it are you using to get into your mix-in? Also, have you tried a different stereo cable (1/4", TRS)? The one you are using might be bad.
                Gremz

vPro/TD-10/TDW-1/KD-7/+xtra PD-7
                Mac G4 400/Digi001/PT LE 5.2.1/JV-1080/++

Comment

Billy, sounds like you have a bad mix-in jack there..

On your VS recorder and on a portable cd player, you have stereo outs, and the mix in is stereo. If you have a stereo cable (tip, ring, sleeve, as you said you do) that setup should work perfectly. If it's not working, the jack has a problem (assuming you've tried cables you know to be good?)

Which channel is it that's not working? The right channel goes through the tip conductor, the left goes through the sleeve.

Don't waste your time building the adapter, you have everything you need with that stereo to stereo cable..

Try this though, take a cable off one of your drums (they're probably all stereo cables, they are from Roland unless you've changed them).. Try that cable and see if it works.. If you can play the head and rim on your snare, the cable is good, so take that one and try it out.

Try pushing a connector in and out for a minute or two on that jack and see if it fixes the problem.. Sounds like a bad solder joint or bent contact inside the jack if it still doesn't work..

Good luck and let us know if this helps!
                  -Eric
                  Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Not to sound obvious...

I hadn't read this one yet... but it sounds like he is running from a 1/8" out to 1/4" in... Meaning he probably has a bum 1/8 to 1/4 adapter.

I have had 3 of them go belly up on me that I got from radio shark. Try this, go out and spend about $10 on a good cable and another $10 on a gold adapter. See if that takes care of the problem.

The other issue, could it be a crimped wire in the headset itself?

Just checking...
                    Mapex Acoustic Birch 6pc Kit - Sabian Cymbals - PC Recorder/MIDI: Sonar 2.2 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 / Avance AC97 - Samson 65A Monitors - Building a V-drum revolution kit: 3 - 10" Toms, 14" Snare, 2 - 16" Crashes, 12" Hats, 10" Mesh Kick - MODULE TO BE DETERMINED...

Comment

A bad wire would do it.. Here's another thought though:

There's no standard size for 1/4" connectors, and probably ditto for 1/8" connectors.. Meaning depending what you buy and where, you might find a perfect fit, or something that barely clicks in. I think I'm using a Radio Shack cable at the moment. Some of their adapters are alright. But I've been making it a point to buy HOSA and other brands you see at music stores for a couple of years now. Pretty much anything that's really thick seems to be good. I don't know if the gold connectors are going to make that much difference, but getting something that clicks in solidly is extremely important.. One other test would be to plug in the cable, then crank the mix in level and touch the tip and ring with your finger. If you hear a buzz/hum in the speakers or headphones on the left and right sides individually, you know the cable is good, without wondering if it's making a nice connection in the output of the other device, etc..
                      -Eric
                      Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Working...
                      X