Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adrum user looking to convert to edrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrum user looking to convert to edrum

Hi, this is my first post.. I've been drumming for 14 years, using mainly acoustic equipment all my life. I have practiced and like edrums, but the only thing that stops me from getting them are the price!

Anyway, I have a nice Yamaha 5-pc set I'd either like to sell and get edrums or convert them to edrums.. I went to that Hart website and saw they have Acoustic Drum Conversion kits.. What I am looking for are your opinions on this.. It looks to be a much cheaper and effective solution for me, as I don't have to go out and spend like $1500 for a whole new edrum set..

1) Should I get the ADC? How do they hold up?
    2) If I get them, should I also spring for new Hart heads? Or use my Remos like I have on my drums already?
    3) Do i also need to purchase triggers for the ADC pads or are the triggers built in to the pad?
    4) Very important: If I use the ADC pads, are they QUIET? I mean, will there be any reverb from my acoustic shells? Or will I just hear the sticks hitting the heads only? I want to practice in my home with as little noise as possible.

I think the ADC would be beneficial, as it would allow me to practice edrums style but yet with the change of heads, go right back to true acoustic style.. Oh, and I'll prolly mate the ADCs up to a Roland TD-8 module

Thanks!

Mr. Yamaha
    Hey, I have a good idea. Suck all the equity out of your house. That way you will have enough dough to buy the edrums and maybe take a little vacation. Then if you miss a payment Mr. Creditor will put you out on the street.
    Just kidding of coarse!!!
    I get called every time I sit down to dinner to do exactly that.
    I think you should keep your A's. You could put together a nice little E set if you shop around for some used gear. Keep watching the Classifieds and ebay for deals. You'd be sorry if you got rid of one for the other and vice versa. They are really two different animals. Of coarse thats just my opinion. I'm usually wrong, even when I don't think so.
    Heres one that just ended.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...502397271&rd=1
    good luck
    welcome
    dl
    Concert V-Drums. td-10 tdw-1
    roc n' soc
    yamaha A's
    LP Congas/timbales'
    Yamaha C1 Baby Grand

Comment

hey Yam....
      Here is a better link for you to find some gear cheap.http://search.ebay.com/search/search...m=R2&catref=C3

check it out.
      dl
      Concert V-Drums. td-10 tdw-1
      roc n' soc
      yamaha A's
      LP Congas/timbales'
      Yamaha C1 Baby Grand

Comment

Originally posted by dlgarlock
        hey Yam....
        Here is a better link for you to find some gear cheap.http://search.ebay.com/search/search...m=R2&catref=C3

check it out.
        dl
        yea, i've been there before. But really, I'm not looking to spend a ton of extra $$ on an additonal set. I don't have a need for it really. I just want something to practice with and maybe record with, but "in case" I do a live gig I can just swap the heads back to acoustic. So, I think ADC is the way to go for me. I just need my questions answered

Comment

I'd keep the acoustic and get some electric drums, also.
          Why not have the best of both worlds.
          Woody

2002 Purple V-Session w/PM-3 monitor-TDA-700 amplifier

1971 Psychedelic Red Ludwig Rockers with Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Woody
            I'd keep the acoustic and get some electric drums, also.
            Why not have the best of both worlds.
            And why not give me money then?? I'd rather keep one set (I'm also slightly limited on space).. Good comments from all, I'm looking for those who use the ADC and can answer my questions! lol

Comment

If it were me, I'd buy mesh heads for my acoustic kit, some rim trim for my snare drum and either Roland triggers and a TD10, or Ddrum Triggers and a Ddrum4 module. Then throw in either Roland or Ddrum cymbal pads. Save lots of money.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Ok, well I did a little Math tonite and this is what I came up with as possible setups, for a 4-c acoustic (i'm leaving off 1 tom)

Setup #1
                ------------
                Roland RT-7K kick trigger $80
                RT-5S snare trig 80
                RT-3T tom trig 50 x 2
                Hart 2-ply KS 12" $22
                KS 14" 26
                KS 16" 28
                KS 22" 40
                Roland TD-8 $800
                Roland FD-7 hihat $100
                ----------------------------------------
                Grand Total $1276

Setup #2
                ------------
                Hart ADC 12" $59
                14" 69
                16" 79
                22" 95
                Plus above mentioned Hart KS heads $116
                Roland TD-8
                Roland FD-7
                ---------------------------------
                G.T. $1318

PLus I want ecymbals, that's another $300 or so!! So i'm looking at ballpark figures of $1600-$1800 for just a conversion.... I'll prolly swing about $300 selling my Sabians, so that leaves me $1300 out of pocket.. What should I do??? I'm really just concerned with playing indoors and not doing gigging at all at this point. Thanks

Comment

It really depends om what you want to do, a DTXpress kit would cost $999 total for everything you need, new. Ebay is always great, I buy alot of quality stuff and for not alot of money. You can always find used DTX V2.0, DTXpress, TD7 kits, TD5 kits for next to nothing. Here are some direct links to searches I commonly run on Ebay:

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/s...619&SRCHDESC=y

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...9&BasicSearch=

I hope these are some help to you.
                  Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Plus you could forgo the TD8 in favor of a TD6 - same sounds and a few people here use them for gigging without any problems. This will also save a few hundred bucks. I think I saw a used one posted here for about $300US.

I'd start out with some used Roland CY cymbals or some used Hart. I see more used Rolands available on ebay than Harts but it could just be the timing of my searches.

You will also need a pad for your hihat unless you've counted that in with your other cymbals.
                    TD6, 5 PD6, 2 CY-6, PD100, Pintech Concertcast Kick, and a home-brew A to E cymbal conversion (using CY-6 piezo & jack).

Comment

You can do it!

Originally posted by Mr Yamaha
                      Ok, well I did a little Math tonite and this is what I came up with as possible setups, for a 4-c acoustic (i'm leaving off 1 tom)

Setup #1
                      ------------
                      Roland RT-7K kick trigger $80
                      RT-5S snare trig 80
                      RT-3T tom trig 50 x 2
                      Hart 2-ply KS 12" $22
                      KS 14" 26
                      KS 16" 28
                      KS 22" 40
                      Roland TD-8 $800
                      Roland FD-7 hihat $100
                      ----------------------------------------
                      Grand Total $1276

I did almost the exact same thing as you described here. But at a slightly lower cost, as I got the TD 8 on E Bay for $475 US. Also used a trigger on my existing kick. And to further save I used an old set of Sabian B8's I had hanging around, converting them to E's by covering them with .25" gum, and mounting some transducers. Ain't pretty, and it took some playing around to find the right place for the transducers, but it works nicely for quiet practicing.

I still use my A kits for gigging.

You might want to check out Electronicdrums.com - Logistix for some ideas - if you really have the DIY fever.

Good Luck,
                      E2P,
                      fast n' bulbous .....

Comment

So, OldGuy - you converted your acoustics to edrums?? Did you use mesh heads? And what triggers? If so, how loud are they when you play on them? And do you hear any "acoustic" sound/reverb from the drum when you hit the head? I want a conversion but also want it quiet so I don't disturb anyone.

Comment

Yes, it's quiet.

Mr Yamaha,

I used the same Hart 2 ply mesh heads on a old 5 pc Premier kit with standard size toms. I put towels inside laying on the bottom heads to keep them from resonating. I filled my kick with loosely packed sheets to damp the front head resonance, and to provide some compliance on the mesh head making it feel more like my acoustic kicks.

I used Ddrum triggers for the toms and kick (the less expensive type with the 1/4" jacks, and a Trigger Perfect snare trigger w' rim sensor. I bought the rim covering from Logistix (they sell a package for 1 sn 3 toms @ $25 US.

The transducers on the cymbals are inexpensive Pulse units which are OK for what I'm doing. Everything is wired into the TD 8 through a Hosa 9 ft mini-snake, customized by splitting it down about 4 ft, and bundling trunks to the different areas.

It makes a decent, very quiet practice kit. The only real noise occurs when I catch a tom rim hard accidently. Plus, if needed it can be converted back to normal acoustic in a few minutes.

I hope this helps.

E2P.
                          We be slammin'

Comment

Working...
                          X