Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mackie Users - Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie Users - Help!!

I had a problem with my Mackie SRM450 for the first time last night. It worked fine for the first set but when we came to start the second set there was no output from the Mackie at all.

It did come back to life eventually, after about three scary monitorless songs (!), but there was distortion at times and it didn't seem to be pushing out its usual volume.

But at the end of the gig it seemed OK and does seem to be alright again today. I had the volume on the Mackie at about 75% and the volume on the brain (TD6) at about 80%. The dealer says I need to replicate the problem before he can fix it, fair enough, but I can't. I checked all the ususal stuff like leads etc. Has anyone else had this problem? - and if so what was the solution!

Cheers guys,

~Pip~

Power Conditioner?

Are you running a good power conditioner in to the units? Sometimes, when that much electronic gear is in such a small area, and chewing up that much power, you will get drops and surges that can do a number on amps/modules.

You might want to invest in either higher end cabling, a power conditioner or just a really good surge suppression unit. They will really help when dealing with "club" power.

Other than that, I have no ideas...
    Mapex Acoustic Birch 6pc Kit - Sabian Cymbals - PC Recorder/MIDI: Sonar 2.2 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 / Avance AC97 - Samson 65A Monitors - Building a V-drum revolution kit: 3 - 10" Toms, 14" Snare, 2 - 16" Crashes, 12" Hats, 10" Mesh Kick - MODULE TO BE DETERMINED...

Comment

Zcarman - thanks for that.

Yeah, we were playing a venue with a noise limiter which did cut in a couple of times so the supply was definitely suspect. We took all the usual precautions though. The Mackie has been OK since then, apart from one short period of distortion, which only affected the frequencies of three toms and which disapperared when I moved the cabinet to check its levels. The band uses 7 450s, a couple of subs and a Mackie pre-amp/desk plus the usual on-stage instrument amplification so it does suck power. My own 450 was the only piece of kit affected on the night however(?), and it is the newest. The dealer now thinks it may be a loose connection but I can't get it to happen on demand.

Thanks again for your help,

~Pip~

Comment

No Problem

Just keep working with it, if there is a problem, Mackie will back the dealer on it... Worse case, ask the dealer if he could send it in for an inspection if it keeps acting up. If not, happy monitoring!
        Mapex Acoustic Birch 6pc Kit - Sabian Cymbals - PC Recorder/MIDI: Sonar 2.2 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 / Avance AC97 - Samson 65A Monitors - Building a V-drum revolution kit: 3 - 10" Toms, 14" Snare, 2 - 16" Crashes, 12" Hats, 10" Mesh Kick - MODULE TO BE DETERMINED...

Comment

Just another suggestion. There is a chance that the thermal cutoff was kicking in. I have an SRM 450 and if you lay them on their side the heat sink fins in the back use convection cooling and it is not as effective as in the standing upright position and they tend to run very hot if you are pushing them with alot of volume. If it happens again, then very carefully check the to see if the heat sink fins are really hot. If this is the case I suggest that you shut them off between sets to let them cool down or use a small fan to blow air at the back of the mackie SRM 450.

Comment

Bruce - thanks for your help - it was a thermal cut-out in the end. I have now purchased a monitor stand to keep it off the floor and alllow it to breathe. I am also getting a 7" fan to blow air over the fins when temperatures get really hot.

I am a bit disappointed that Mackie haven't given better warnings about this however, as their own Forum seems full of like problems.

All V-drummers need to be aware that monitor volumes need to be high at even medium sized venues - and the feedback you get is nothing like that from an accoustic kit - it is so punchy and direct it can hurt............ I'm sure it can't be good for your ears!

I suppose there has to be a trade-off to get the great sounds and flexibility of Vs.

~Pip~

Comment

Here, here - I too found very good results from lifting my speakers off the floor but not too much from the floor using the GRAMMA from Auralex
              Makes a big difference projecting the sound much cleaner.
              Studio

Comment

Working...
              X