Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE Sonic Maximizer

I'm considering buying one of these, does anyone have any experience with this piece of gear?... I would like some opinions on the quality difference between the models as well.

I would like to use one as a mastering effect for my next electronica CD. I can't decide to go with the hardware model or the software plug-in. I like the plug-in for the "internal" no signal degredation factor, but with the hardware model I could run my e-drums though it live and use it for mastering.

Any suggestions?
    Jazz nerd with old school Gretch kit and dirty Zildjian K's all around. Hart Pro 5.3 kit with TD-8 in my apartment for practicing without disturbing my annoying neighbors.

BBE's...

I think MF online has a model on clearance right now. It's like a $150 382 for like $79 or something like that. At that price it's tough to pass up. The software may be more flexible long term, but software hardly ever sounds as "good" as the hardware.
    Mapex Acoustic Birch 6pc Kit - Sabian Cymbals - PC Recorder/MIDI: Sonar 2.2 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 / Avance AC97 - Samson 65A Monitors - Building a V-drum revolution kit: 3 - 10" Toms, 14" Snare, 2 - 16" Crashes, 12" Hats, 10" Mesh Kick - MODULE TO BE DETERMINED...

Comment

think MF online has a model on clearance right now.
      Thanx for the info

They have the 362 for $99 and the 882 is $199.

Do you own one of these models?
      Jazz nerd with old school Gretch kit and dirty Zildjian K's all around. Hart Pro 5.3 kit with TD-8 in my apartment for practicing without disturbing my annoying neighbors.

Comment

I just bought the 362 from my local Guitar Center on Sunday. They were having a blow out sale on them for 69.00.

If you search on BBE*, or Sonic Maximizer, you'll find a lot of posts on them. Seems most people either swear by them -- or swear at them.

I used mine live last night for the first time at my band's rehearsal and must say I was pleased over all. When A-B'ing the unit, I could tell that it added some nice thump on the low end of the output of my TD-6.

Even the cymbals sounded a little crisper and blended better in the mix -- though I had the high freqency (the BBE's Process control) backed off considerably.

-bruce
        ----------
        2 Yorkville Y115's, Peavy PV900 amp, Behringer 1604A Mixer, Lexicon MPX 100.
        eDrums: TD-12, PDX-8 , PD-8s, CY12R/C, CY-8s, CY5, KD-8, MDS-10PL rack, SPD6
        aDrums: Pearl Masters Studio (Birch) 7pc, Zildjian & Sabian Paragon Cymbals, Pearl Hardware & rack

Comment

Ah another BBE post... Well here's my drama in a nutshell.

Bought BBE482 because of the feedback on this site but wasn't sure if it made a difference, other than boosting certain frequencies. I sold it and purchased a good eq with sub harmonic synth (dbx Driverack). After a couple shows I noticed I wasn't getting the punch from my snare or the depth from my kick. To compesate I had to mess with TD-10 on board mixer and eq. and they aren't great. Bought a BBE 882 for $150 at Riksmusic.com and haven't looked back. I absolutely recommend it. If you end up looking to other proccessors down the road, the BBE is so simple and versatile that you'll find a home for it somewhere else.

PS. Don't worry about buying the new models 442i and 882i, they're cosmetic changes for the most part.

Comment

Thanx for the replies guys, it looks everyone has good things to say about the Maximizer.

PS. Don't worry about buying the new models 442i and 882i, they're cosmetic changes for the most part.
            So now it's red, white and chrome instead of blue and black

have an extra 482 with its original box that I will sell you if you are interested. I also own another 482, an 882 and the plugin if you are interested in whether I find them useful.
            Does the 482 have balanced connections? Have you used the plugin as a mastering effect, and if so did you notice any discernable difference in the mix?

I'm thinking that if i'm going to spend the money that I might as well go hardware and buy the 882i with the balanced connections.

Comment

Remember with your edrums though that their ouput isn't balanced in the first place anyway so it will make no difference.
              Very true.

I'm interested in the 482 that you have, should I send you an e-mail through your profile?

I've decided that i'll buy a 482 or 442i for my e-kit and the plugin for my Sonar 2.1 rig

Comment

Studio

Comment

So I see it gets the szvook seal of approval as well

Comment

FYI - the newer "i" units are a little more than cosmetic although the older models are a great deal right now while they last. Here are a few of the changes.

Better Knobs....they are metal and they are recessed a little. there is alos supposed to be a stronger attachment to the circuitboard. There are also a lot more adjustment points on the entire sweep. Instead of 20 clicks there are 40 for example. this lets you get a more precise adjustment and more variation.

Faster Processor - Its got Pentium 4 chips instead of what they had 2 years ago. They may not be Pentium 4's but you get my meaning. Faster Processer means less time for the signal to pass through the unit among other things and usually means a better sound.

Thicker circuitboard

Thicker Front Panel

Comment

TheInsider : Thanx for the info.

The 482i is the model that i'm considering buying, unless I can find a good steal on a 482 that is

Comment

You've got mail.

Comment

Working...
                        X