Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 PD-9 pads on one input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 PD-9 pads on one input?

I have an extra PD-9 and I was thinking that it would be nice to use the heads of 2 pads instead of 1 pad with a rim. At the moment I do not have a Y-cable or the pad mount, and before I rush out to buy these I thought I'd better ask to make sure it will work.

Also, is it possible to trigger the rim on the PD-120 with the Tom 3 and 4 inputs with the TDW-1 V-cymbal upgrade?

Thanks,

Joe

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it won't work. Can't split the trigger signal like that. Also even with the upgrade you can't trigger rims on the PD-120 other then the trigger 2 input. If you add a TMC-6 you can do it actually can trigger 3 PD-120's that way? Why you would want to is beyond me but you could. I added the TMC-6 so I could get a rim shot on my extra snare which is also my Tom 4 which is on the Hi Hat side. Plus now I have 4 crashes (8 sounds) again plus a closed HH and some other extra pads which is very nice. If I can get my digital camera working again I will post some pics.
    Ted H.

Comment

Originally posted by Stixx777
      Also even with the upgrade you can't trigger rims on the PD-120 other then the trigger 2 input. If you add a TMC-6 you can do it actually can trigger 3 PD-120's that way? Why you would want to is beyond me but you could. I added the TMC-6 so I could get a rim shot on my extra snare which is also my Tom 4 which is on the Hi Hat side.
      You answered your own question. I also use one of my PD-120s on the HH side and need a similar feature (did you think you were the only one? ) I did think of the TMC-6 as a solution. Is the TMC capable of triggering the head striking position as well?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it won't work. Can't split the trigger signal like that.
      Anyway, back to the dual PD-9 Y-cable question (which has nothing to do with the PD-120 rim). What is the basis for the problem with a Y-cable? I'd like to understand before I abandon it.

What I have reasoned is that these triggers use standard 1/4" stereo cables and that triggering the head occurs on one channel while the rim triggering goes on the other. I verified this by using a 1/4" mono plug on a pad and as expected only the head would trigger. Now, if I bought or built a cable that has a single 1/4" stereo plug on the the input side and two mono plugs on the trigger side (each leading to the separate stereo channels) I am believing that the result would be that two PD-9 heads would trigger (but not the rims, of course). Where have I gone wrong?

Why am I looking to do this? I have 1 pad on the right that I configure for a crash on the head and a china on the rim. I have an unused pad in a box so I'd like to move the china to the head of the new pad and position it independantly from the crash. Of course, the TMC route would allow this easily, but I'm going to hold off on that purchase for now.

Thanks,

Joe

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Originally posted by feefer

There's plenty that's been written on this board about the basis of piezo/FSR triggering, so take some time to read some old posts, and you'll find alot of info. Any q's, just ask....
        Great, thanks! It sounds promising. I'll go dig up some of the info.

Regards,

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,

What you're overlooking is the historical roots from which all of the TD-10's trigger inputs came from.
          You are right, I didn't know the history behind the piezo/FSR dual trigger. Searching those threads was a big headache, but I got through it. I don't know how long I spent trying to sort out the real information from the mis-information.

But I do believe I understand now. To put it succinctly, in a piezo/fsr pad, the piezo reacts for both head and rim strikes while the fsr located in the rim area acts as a state switch. All of the TD-10 inputs, except for #2, detect the state of the fsr, and if closed cancel the "head" sound and trigger the "rim" sound in the module. This also explains why choking works (something I was curious about but never really tried to figure out).

And that definitely explains the difficulty of splitting an input between two PD-9s and using each head (piezos only) for triggering different sounds. It all seems so trivial when you are just thinking about cables without understanding the actual implementation!

Seems like the easiest decision to use a stereo splitter is if you want two KD-7s on the single kick drum input or two indentically configured cymbals on each side of the kit. I'll leep that in mind.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,

You now understand the principles of triggering better than 95% of V-Drum owners.

Ooh. The top 5%! Too bad I'm the bottom 5% of playing the things!

As I said above, the simplest approach is to stereo 'y' cable mono-piezo (or dual-piezo pads) with piezo-FSR pads: that's a good way to get to those (5) untapped rim sounds on the bass drum and tom inputs.
            Out of curiousity, does anybody make a spiker trigger/pole pad type assembly that inludes a peizo/fsr on the the main striking surface? Something less expensive and smaller than dedicating a PD-7/9 for this task? (In thinking about it, I guess if anyone would offer something like this, it would be Roland. Probably not enough interest for a 3rd party to make one commercially).

As far as using a stereo 'y' cable with two piezo/FSR pads (like the PD-7), a neat little trick is to use a mono-to-stereo converter (AKA "Shack Adapter") inserted into one of the pads. This gives a reversal of sounds on the rims, such that one pad gives the 'head' sound when struck on the rim, and the other gives the 'rim' sound when struck on the rim. Search for "Holy Grail" for the details.
            Yes, I was considering this last night as well once I understood how these things trigger.

Thanks for the "input" (har har).

Joe

Comment

Working...
            X