Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did it. I took the Visu-lite plunge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did it. I took the Visu-lite plunge.

Today, in a disgusting display of complete impulse purchasing, I ordered myself Visu-lite hi-hats (dual trigger with bell.) I will also be getting a Pearl H-885 hi-hat stand to go along with my new purchase. I didn't want to stray too far from the look of the rest of my kit (V-Club with extras) so I went with the translucent gray which should be close enough to the black pads, but still stand out enough to "look cool."

I've seen mixed reviews on the Visu-lites, but a lot of positive things recently. At this point, my decision boils down to the following:

1) The FD-6 pedal just doesn't feel right. A real hi-hat pedal on a real hi-hat stand will give me a much better feel. This part is guaranteed.
    2) I've heard good things about the feel of the Visu-lite surface. I sometimes think that the CY-12H tries to be quieter at the expense of a good metal hi-hat feel. I'm hoping the Visu-lite feel is more realistic. Not sure, but I'm taking a shot.
    3) I have more use for a hi-hat bell than I do for the CY-12H's hi-hat edge. Plus I'm not terribly happy with the CY-12H's edge trigger response. I'm pretty sure this is a guaranteed win for the Visu-lites.
    4) I'm not too worried about noise. The noisiest thing on my kit right now is my Pintech mesh kick. I guess the Visu-lite hats will be louder than that, but I think I can handle some extra noise if it means better feel.

So anyway I will post here when I get them and share my experiences/thoughts. If things are good, you'll probably see a CY-12H and FD-6 pedal in the Classifieds forum.
    kit pr0n.

Re: I did it. I took the Visu-lite plunge.

Originally posted by tonycpsu
    Today, in a disgusting display of complete impulse purchasing, I ordered myself Visu-lite hi-hats (dual trigger with bell.)
    Ahhhh, my FAVORITE kind of purchasing! Let us know how the Visu-lite works out, especially with the TD10.
    Boom Theory Spacemuffins
    TD6
    HDI Cymbals

Comment

Congrats! You gotta love new toys.

When I was looking at the Visu-lites I was looking at getting the crystal clear ones. I thought that'd be a cool look.
      My website...
      VCustom kit,
      TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
      HDI Cymbals.
      A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ranman
        Congrats! You gotta love new toys.

When I was looking at the Visu-lites I was looking at getting the crystal clear ones. I thought that'd be a cool look.
        Yeah, but only if I replaced all of my cyms with visu-lites... Not sure I'd dig the look of all my cymbals being black instead of the hi-hat. It's hard to tell exactly how the translucent gray looks, but I think it would match well enough but still stand out a little... Well, I guess I'll be finding out!

I'll be sure to post a full report on my findings.
        kit pr0n.

Comment

Hope you enjoy them as much as I

I've been playing an entire set for about a year and truly love them.
          I went to the 2000 Namm in Nashville and tried everything that was out at the time.
          In 2001 I tried the V's and just couldn't feel them.
          Don't be fooled by the way the piezo's are mounted they last.
          I was apprehensive at first to play out live with them (not sure why) they kicked and looked good too.
          I bought a gold set of 5, but that's the beauty of having choices of color. A small Company I would guess, because on the phone I may have spoke with the only employee. That' OK with me, evidently he researched the weights of the plastics.
          The only thing I would complain about is that, the bell on the hat and ride have a very minimal zone.
          I adapted and set sensitivity to aprox 12. I then added a ribbon switch to the edge of my ride and used aux 11 for edge sounds.
          GOOD LUCK!
          Hope you enjoy them as much a I do.

Comment

Re: Hope you enjoy them as much as I

Originally posted by pinger
            I've been playing an entire set for about a year and truly love them.
            I went to the 2000 Namm in Nashville and tried everything that was out at the time.
            In 2001 I tried the V's and just couldn't feel them.
            Don't be fooled by the way the piezo's are mounted they last.
            I was apprehensive at first to play out live with them (not sure why) they kicked and looked good too.
            I bought a gold set of 5, but that's the beauty of having choices of color. A small Company I would guess, because on the phone I may have spoke with the only employee. That' OK with me, evidently he researched the weights of the plastics.
            The only thing I would complain about is that, the bell on the hat and ride have a very minimal zone.
            I adapted and set sensitivity to aprox 12. I then added a ribbon switch to the edge of my ride and used aux 11 for edge sounds.
            GOOD LUCK!
            Hope you enjoy them as much a I do.
            Glad to hear some positive feedback on the Visu-lites. I was curious as to why there's not a whole lot of talk about them on a board like this, but in the end, my curiosity for what they can do was greater. Thanks for the warnings about the zone on the bell, I'll give that some thought as I'm dialing things in.

Small company, huh? This is from my receipt:

Code:
            Order Number: 6
            Order number six! I love it!
            kit pr0n.

Comment

Please post a review when you've tried them out for a while.

I've tried everything I can to get to get a nice loud Hi-Hat "chick" closing sound when I play my TD-8, but no luck so far. I have the settings at max but it's still way too quiet for jazz. It would be nice to have better control over the Hi-Hat splash sound as well.

Let me know how things work out
              Jazz nerd with old school Gretch kit and dirty Zildjian K's all around. Hart Pro 5.3 kit with TD-8 in my apartment for practicing without disturbing my annoying neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by diatonic
                Please post a review when you've tried them out for a while.

I've tried everything I can to get to get a nice loud Hi-Hat "chick" closing sound when I play my TD-8, but no luck so far. I have the settings at max but it's still way too quiet for jazz. It would be nice to have better control over the Hi-Hat splash sound as well.

Let me know how things work out
                Dammit where were you people when I posted a month ago asking about the Visu-lite hats???

Regarding the pedal hi-hat sound. I'm on a TD-10 and I think there's a separate control for the hi-hat pedal volume (compared to the regular hi-hat volume.) Not sure if the same setting exists on the 8. I'm hoping that any difference in the way the Visu-lite controler sends out its data can be compensated for in the module.
                kit pr0n.

Comment

I'm on a TD-10 and I think there's a separate control for the hi-hat pedal volume (compared to the regular hi-hat volume.) Not sure if the same setting exists on the 8.
                  Yeah, the TD-8 has the same setting but even at full volume it is still too quiet.

This is an issue that I hope they address on the TD-11. My old Yamaha DTXpress module was far superior to the TD-8 in it's Hi-Hat settings. The DTXpress has an entire group of seperate Hi-Hat "chick" and splash sounds that you assign to a custom Hi-Hat patch. You can also set the volume to be as loud as any other patch on the kit (drums, cymbals ect...).
                  Jazz nerd with old school Gretch kit and dirty Zildjian K's all around. Hart Pro 5.3 kit with TD-8 in my apartment for practicing without disturbing my annoying neighbors.

Comment

COMP GAIN

Have you tried compression parameters? Primarily boosting your output gain.
                    That is the one thing I miss about the TD-7 MOD.
                    Setting the chick volume was not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by diatonic
                      The DTXpress...You can also set the (HH) volume to be as loud as any other patch on the kit (drums, cymbals ect...).
                      When I adjust the TD8's trigger 7 sensitivity to about 12 and up the internal mixer for trigger 7 I can make the HH uncomfortably loud - and much louder than anything else on the kit.
                      My website...
                      VCustom kit,
                      TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                      HDI Cymbals.

Comment

Hi tonycpsu

Congrats on your purchase! Let us know how it works out.

One quick question - does the Visu-lite H-H itself move up and down, or is it stationary? One thing I miss with the V's is the ability to just jut out a drumstick over the H-H and let it play itself as it moves up into the stick.
                        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbaker
                          ...One thing I miss with the V's is the ability to just jut out a drumstick over the H-H and let it play itself as it moves up into the stick.
                          GB: I've never before noticed what a strange person you are.
                          My website...
                          VCustom kit,
                          TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                          HDI Cymbals.

Comment

Hi hat action

the switch that you mount on your hi hat stand,is a dimmer switch mounted in a project box.
                            It may look a little cheesy but it works great (i've tried other dimmers) and this one is hard to find at your typical hardware store.
                            After mounting to stand you simply mount cable to foot pedal, they--or he provides a clamp with hook to mount on the pedal.

The switch supplies the too signal to the module,thus giving you the open and closed tracking.
                            That is the very reason I went to this system.
                            I missed the nuances of a working hat.

HOPE THAT HELPS

Comment

Ranman:

When I adjust the TD8's trigger 7 sensitivity to about 12 and up the internal mixer for trigger 7 I can make the HH uncomfortably loud - and much louder than anything else on the kit.
                              That's odd?!

I'm using the Hart Hi-Hat pedal that came with my Pro 5.3 kit, I wonder if I would have better results with the Roland Hit-Hat controller?

Even a good stomp on the Hart Hi-Hat controller doesn't give me the volume that I need

Comment

Working...
                              X