Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Alesis DM6 Snare Volume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis DM6 Snare Volume

Hi, I am a new member from Kirkland, WA. I've had my DM6 for a few days now and have enjoyed it thus far. The only complaint is the snare volume. I want to find a way to get it much louder. So far I have turned the volume up with the master volume as well as the individual snare volume. It still sounds weak compare to the toms , kick and cymbals. My next attempt will be to turn everything else down to compensate for the low volume snare. I may have to buy a higher wattage PA amp to boost everything back up. I am currently playing thru a Samson 170 (85 watts per side) amp. I would think that should be plenty!

I'm hoping some of you, whether you play the DM6 or other kits, have some advice.

Thanks very much!
    Mark

Apart from trigger volumes and master volume, the DM6 also has kit volumes; are those also on maximum?

How do you connect from DM5 to Samson 170? Stereo 1/8" TRS to dual mono 1/4" Left and Right splitter cable?

Is the snare volume also low through headphones?

Bruce

Comment

Hi Bart,

Yes, kit volume is up at max as well. Everything is low with headphones, but it is relative....the snare is lower than the other triggers.

I can get some decent volume from the snare, but only if I hit it very hard! Maybe it is the velocity sensor that needs work?

For connections, I split with 1/8" stereo to dual mono 1/4" into a mixer.

Thanks for your input!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markswan View Post
        Hi Bart,

Yes, kit volume is up at max as well. Everything is low with headphones, but it is relative....the snare is lower than the other triggers.

I can get some decent volume from the snare, but only if I hit it very hard! Maybe it is the velocity sensor that needs work?

For connections, I split with 1/8" stereo to dual mono 1/4" into a mixer.

Thanks for your input!

Mark
        Welcome to the forum markswan. You might want to try plugging one of your other drum triggers in place of the snare. See if it triggers any differently. If it does, chances are there is a problem with that trigger. If it triggers the same, I guess you will just have to adjust all the pad volumes down to match. Let us know how it goes.
        alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Great idea... I just tried that. Everything checks out. I changed the patch value to more of a rim shot...which is plenty loud. Hence a softer hit on the snare pad sounds closer to snare.

Thanks!
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markswan View Post
            Hi, I am a new member from Kirkland, WA. I've had my DM6 for a few days now and have enjoyed it thus far. The only complaint is the snare volume. I want to find a way to get it much louder.
            Hey guys,

I'm new the the vdrums forums as well, and I have also just got a Alesis DM6 kit.

(a quick background check) I'm a long time drummer and regularly play on acoustic drums with my band, however, I can no longer practice on my acoustic set at home due to a new baby on board making my practice limited to band practice only (at another members home). To counter this I purchased the DM6 as it was new, cheap, and feature packed, and since this is my first e-drum set, this was a great option. I love the kit, for the most part.

I'm experiencing the same problems as said above. I've done all listed options, changing the kit volume to max, master output to max, and changed the snare voice to max while altering the remaining voices to a much lower output. This still left much to be desired from the snare, so I made a kit doing what markswan did, and placed a more of a rimshot sound in the snare voice. It is an "acceptable" solution, however, I don't like it.

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
            You might want to try plugging one of your other drum triggers in place of the snare. See if it triggers any differently. If it does, chances are there is a problem with that trigger. If it triggers the same, I guess you will just have to adjust all the pad volumes down to match.
            I did this last night, and the results were great, as the snare now had the desired volume that I wanted based on the velocity I was hitting, however the now replaced drum (tom1) with the original snare is having the volume issues, and I also lose the dual zone capability of the snare.

The snare pad vs. the tom pads are completely different. The snare is a dual zone, with rubber encompassing the outside, as well as the pad it self feels somewhat more "soft". The snare feels as if it is much more sensitive to velocity and has a larger range, however it feels as if the sensitivity is much "too" soft, as a light hit on the snare will not register vrs. the same hit on a tom will.

The snare will reach the desired volume if hit hard enough, however this is also undesirable.

My question (sorry for the long post) is can the sensitivity of the triggers for electronic drum pads be adjusted?

I know the Dm6 is very new and not many people have used/owned/played on it, so acheiving any sort of help may be difficult. I have contacted their help desk via e-mail, and am waiting for a reply.

I'm at work right now, so I can not try out suggestions till this evening.

A quick note, I purchased ezdrummer, and was running it last night for the first time via midi, and I have to say the voices inside EZd are much better than the onboard voices of the dm6, as well as the velocity to dynamics relationship is much more realistic. I'm experiencing the same issues with the snare pad via ezdrummer as well. (and some latency issues, but that's a whole other issue I'm working out with asio and such).

Any help and suggestions in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for listening.

Comment

Guys, I'm having the same snare volume issue with my DM6. But in addition to that issue, my snare sound is intermittently dropping out whenever I play the hi-hat (1/8 notes) and kick. So basically, whenever I play a full rock beat. I called Alesis tech support the same day I purchased the kit. They were initially unaware of the issue(s) and decided that they would replace the snare trigger. They sent me a "Customer Request for Replacement Parts" form to fill out and fax or email to their parts department.

I both faxed and emailed the form along with my store receipt to the parts department that same day. After two weeks of no response, I again called tech support and was given the phone number and ext. of the parts department. I called the parts dept. and, after several attempts resulting in voicemail, was able to talk to a human being. He told me that they had no record of my email or fax! He took my info and said he would get back to me later that day (this was Friday 11/6). I resent my email after speaking to him just to make sure that they had everything.

Well, after not hearing back from the parts dept. I decided I needed to follow up again (today, 11/10). The same parts guy acted like he didn't remember me and then said, "Oh yeah, did you just send me an email?"! Much to my disbelief he said that they DO NOT have parts for the DM6 and that it's possible that I would have to send the entire kit back for replacement. Again, he said he had to contact tech support and get back to me. I then received a call from tech support asking me to try some things with the kit to verify the issues, which I did. The tech support guy explained that the dropped snare hits are being caused by cross-talk from teh other triggers and that THIS WAS TO BE EXPECTED FROM THIS TYPE OF KIT! He explained that the work-around was to change my playing style to strike the snare harder in order to get it to trigger. He explained that he himself owns the same kit and has made this style adjustment to get it to work. I calmly explained that such a work-around is in no way "solution" to a product defect and that Alesis needs to provide kit owners with a real solution or they can expect brutally honest reviews which undoubtedly put this product on the DO NOT BUY list until such a time when the issues are resolved (can you say DM6 v2?).

BTW, striking the snare harder, as the tech support guy reommended, started randomly firing the rim shot sound instead of the snare... even when striking dead center on the pad. Also, my ride cymbal randomly switches between a normal ride sound and a center/bell sound regardless of how hard you hit it. This issue happens more frequently when playing other triggers at the same time.

Anyway, I'm probably going to try to return the kit to the dealer (GC.com) and get my money (or a credit) back to go toward a more established product. Sorry for the long post but I thought everybody should know what's going on with my experience with this kit and Alesis before deciding whether or not to buy this product. I wish this info had been available to me before I forked over the cash. (early adopters sometimes get hosed, oh well)

John

Comment

Originally posted by mrfinn6095 View Post
                The tech support guy explained that the dropped snare hits are being caused by cross-talk from teh other triggers and that THIS WAS TO BE EXPECTED FROM THIS TYPE OF KIT! He explained that the work-around was to change my playing style to strike the snare harder in order to get it to trigger.
                That's absolutely appalling. If I knew where he lived I'd be sending Big Geoff and the boys round for a 'bit of a chat!'.

You are absolutely right to be flagging this up, and it does appear that this product is fundamentally flawed.

You are doing right in going for a more established product, it's just a shame that your vdrumming experience has been tainted.

Good luck with your exchange!

Comment

GuitarCenter.com comes through!!!

Just an update on my DM6 woes. GuitarCenter.com has agreed to take the whole kit back for a complete refund! I was right at the 30 day return limit AND don't even have all the original packaging but they still agreed that the flaws in the kit warrant a full refund. Thanks GC for the great customer service. But next time I think I'll have my local shop special order such a large item vs. ordering online.

Looking at the Roland TD-9SX... $$$, anyone need a software development consultant to do some work for them?

John

Comment

I know nothing about the DM 6, but I have come across exactly these problems in my experimental sets.

I solved the too-quiet snare issue by increasing the sensitivity of the pad in the module.

I solved the note drop out by taking the high hat off of the arm that holds the snare drum pad.

I hope this helps....

Mark
                    Drumagination, Inc.
                    2000 Watt Carvin powered Electronic Bass Drum,
                    built-in DM10 drum module,
                    Double TwinSteele Electronic drum pedals
                    Footless High-Hat
                    Drumagination.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XezG628QXp8

Comment

i got the DM6 awhile ago, the first thing i noticed was the snare volume. I went through and changed all the volumes to make it sound good, but had some more problems.

If i hit the snare towards the outside (not the rim) it was loud, yet if i hit it in the very middle, i could barely hear it still...

to top that off, if i hit the hit-hat and the middle of the snare at the same time, it wouldn't register the snare at all.. maybe like 10% of the time it would, and if so u could barely hear it...

and while i was playing the drums, the crash randomly stopped working.. of course it was the wire, and no matter were you moved the wire to or what posistion it was in, it didnt work.. so wasn't like it was loose somewhere, just completely stopped working.

My first drum set, was convinced to do electric over real.. now am having 2nd thoughts, may return.

(i sent alesis two emails on customer support, no response, has been like 2+ weeks) so had to call in, getting a new wiring thing, but no word on the snare problem.

Comment

just an update, i believe i found a semi-fix for the snare + hi-hat problem..

for me the snare and hi-hat were the only two with problems, so i switched the Tom1 and Hi-hat's cords, plus i switched their sounds accordingly to make it so that they sounded the same as before. But, now when you hit the hi-hat it thinks it is the tom1 and will react just fine while being hit at the same time as the snare. So the hi-hat +snare problem is fixed, but it changes to the tom1 and snare problem. These two are rarely hit together, so just try to avoid hitting them at the same time or w/e and u should be fine.

The snare volume problem just change the volumes of the snare up and the rest down..

Last update, i returned my alesis DM6, was overall not impressed by anymeans. The worst part was their customer service, like impossible to reach them and they are VERY UNHELPFUL!! Going to get an acoustic drum set.. Alesis has made me dislike electric drums, not sure if i will ever give them a chance again..

Comment

Working...
                        X