Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different (?) ride bell question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different (?) ride bell question

Hi all

Does anyone have ideas on how to improve the the following situation?

I use the standard PD-9 pads which came with the V-Pro set. I have my ride set up with the Jazz - X ride on the main pad, with its corresponding edge sound on the rim. As you move toward the center of the pad, you get more of the bell sound, and toward the outside, you get more bow.

What I can't seem to get around is that it seems impossible to get the pure bell sound without really hitting the pad hard, so it is impossible to play soft bell patterns.

Is there a fix using scan time, etc to effectively make the pure bell zone larger or more sensitive, without turning the whole sensitivity of the pad itself way up? ( Right now the trigger sensitivity and velocity profile shape work well to give me good sensitivity across a wide range of impact strength).

Thanks for any advice you all may have. On this subject.
    Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

I think the ride x sounds are layered sounds (like most of the sounds in these modules) where the bell sound is triggered by increased dynamics. When you play in the middle of the PD-9 pads you are playing right over the piezo trigger, so its easier to get the bell sound. If you play soft you will get the bow sound. If you want a pure bell sound you probably need to assign a ride bell sound (not x) to that or another pad. Hope this helps.
    Quazi

Comment

I tried this approach when I first got my VPro kit. I was not successful at getting settings I could live with. I also lost incentive since I share a kit with 2 other drummers and getting them to live with the same narrow settings would be next to impossible. They hit much harder than I do.
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah - it's a bit of a bummer. I was hoping someone would have a recipe for enlarging the bell portion vs the bow which would allow for soft bell playing, but I think you are both right - probably not possible.

I now have a Zildjian K 18" crash, which works nicely as a ride crash set up to my right, so now I can do soft bell work.

Boingo - I think I would go crazy having to share my kit with other players. Having settings change, watching pad and pedal abuse and its consequences, yikes! My hats off to you (and other church players).

Comment

You might want to put your hat back on. I would never share my kit with those guys. I left a PD-7 there for two weeks and ended up having to resolder a wire.

They have their own set. Actually, one of the past players did that with an old set of stinger pads and a Yamaha TMX. They were pretty beat when I got there, but it was my intro to E-drums. Then he got the V-Pro's. (I got a set 3 months later.) He let everyone use them and they got pretty beat. The Church eventually "saw the light" and bought him a new kit and took ownership of his original kit, which was the right thing to do.

Actually it's a great situation. Two sets of expanded V-Pro's with 2 extra pads for the aux inputs. I tweak my kit at home and copy it over using the mem card. I even use my own trigger settings. Now if I can just convince them (and my wife) how badly we need V-Cymbals....
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Man, I've got to convert!

At my old synagogue, it was a big deal when they we raised enough money to buy a furnace! The only music we had was when the ladies in the congregation would chime in on harmony.

I'd love to hear you (or anyone else here who plays in church) play at a service! What a gas!

I have relatives in the Amherst and Yarmouthport, MA and N.Y.C. areas - Is that close?

Comment

We are heavily into music and drama. The new santuary was designed for this. I don't have the numbers on spending, but I'd guess music, multi-media and lighting easily runs in excess of $75k.

Just last week they picked up a Korg Triton Studio 88 key keyboard/sampler.

I live and play in Dover, De. Typically twice a month. Posting the schedule is no problem for me. Whenever I look at the calendar, it's blank. Not sure what's up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo
                ... I would never share my kit with those guys. ...
                Another reason why I wouldn't share my kit in attachment. When they break a pad, they BREAK a pad!
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X