Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good snare and bass settings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good snare and bass settings???

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had a good snare and bass setting that I could steal? I'm kind of frustrated with the canned sounds that I get with my VPro kit, but I don't understand enough about all the techy settings to figure out what it needs.

I have the expansion board and I think my favorite kit is the RealDeal kit, because it seems to have the best punch and great sounding toms for the rock stuff. For the quieter stuff with cross-sticking I like the Custom kit. However, I just can't get the accoustic sound that I'm looking for.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? Please be detailed, if possible, as to how to make the settings, ok? I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris...

Have you tried to load the VkitEx software provided on this site? That and a cable is all you need (ok, you need a PC too) to get a couple dozen kits to work with. Copy them one at a time, listen to them, find one you like and see what makes it tick. I have offered this suggestion several times, because it helped me understand things a great deal. Then, when I read some of Feefers "everything you wanted to know about settings" posts, they actually make sense.

Really, you don't want to depend on the work of others forever do ya? There's nothing like latching on to a really sweet kit and knowing it was totally tailored to your tastes.

Also, giving out settings will most likely not duplicate what the originator hears. Usually, it's a combination of trigger settings, headphones and amp, along with EQ, Ambience, Effects, compression, mic type/placement, Room, global settings and more. That's a lot to document.

Try it. Having said that...

My favorite snare is #90, brass shell, 6.5 - 7.5 deep, normal shell with a pitch of 4. Loose (sometimes medium) tension snare with no tape (a sloppy rim shot will give a nice ring). Gain on compression around 6 or 7 with a 4:1 ratio. Season with some reverb and ambience, tweak the low and high end EQ a tad, regular mic placement, large to huge-theater to Gym Room, wood or plaster wall... you get the picture. You need to tweak for your amp and surroundings. I have been using this kit for a couple years. So when I give a range, it just depends on mood and if I'm playing in a basement or live setting. You need to tweak accordingly. That's not all of the settings, but it's a start.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Hi Boingo,

No, I haven't tried the software you spoke of, but I will now! Your absolutely right about not wanting to rely on others. Unfortunately, I'm not yet techy enough to know what all the possible adjustments will do to effect the sound. With maybe the exception of ambience, tuning, heads, etc. All the stuff I know as an acoustic drummer.

I've went through the Roland manual, but I just get the deer in the headlight look. Not too mention that I can't hear any difference a lot of times anyway. I attribute that to play too loud for too long!

Anyway, I will try the software, if I can find it! Do I need a midi board on my PC? Don't have one of those yet!

Thanks again!

Chris

Comment

Just need a regular sound card. The cable you need has a midi in and out end for the TD-10 and the other end will hook into your game port. I think the double connection is so you can use the game port and the connection to the TD-10 without reconnecting (if you're a gamer). Just change your windows settings via the control panel so it is sending the midi signal out to the TD-10 and you should be all set.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Hi Boingo,

I'm curious.... I've been reading all these posts on mixing the sound on the way out... Could something like that help? I'm using a Mackie srm450 for myself and I've, for the most part, liked the sound. I don't think our sound guys are all that great. Maybe if i got a mixer and mixed it going out that would improve it???

Forgive the ignorance. I've been reading and thinking, "Why do we have to do the mix if you've got a good sound man?" Maybe I just answered my own question.

BTW, thanks for the explanation on the VKitEx software and cable!

Chris

Comment

Does anyone have MP3's of themselves playing their acoustic sounding kits....not looking for REAL kits hear. Just some v's showing what they can doin the acoustic sounding department.

The reason I ask is, I was considering adding v-drums to my set up, but only got to hear the factory presets...and the store only had a cheap set of head phones. Can you believe that? They expect you to plunk down 6 grand on a kit, and tell you to try it with $5 headphones. NICE marketing!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chad
            There are only three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't!

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by cproctor
              Hi Boingo,

I'm curious.... I've been reading all these posts on mixing the sound on the way out... Could something like that help? I'm using a Mackie srm450 for myself and I've, for the most part, liked the sound. I don't think our sound guys are all that great. Maybe if i got a mixer and mixed it going out that would improve it???

Forgive the ignorance. I've been reading and thinking, "Why do we have to do the mix if you've got a good sound man?" Maybe I just answered my own question.

BTW, thanks for the explanation on the VKitEx software and cable!

Chris
              Are you sending them direct out signals and they are screwing up the volume mix? Yes, sending them something you mixed will regain control for you. But... if you're sending DO signals, I assume they are applying effects - not you. Generally, when you use the DO's on the TD-10, you cut out the ambience and effects. (You are supposed to be able to use ambience but it ends up sending the same amount to all DO signals regardless of how you set it.) Are you going to take that over, since you will be sending them a stereo or mono signal? Does your mixer have onboard effects? I'm not sure just what you intend to controll and send.

Comment

Maple Toms 1,2,3,4 tuned to my liking
                "MEAT" bass drum... tuned to my liking
                and I go with "STUDIO" snare tuned to my liking.

I actually like the REALDEAL set too! I've recorded a couple of songs with it and it sounds pretty tight. Although the bass doesn't quite seem to have enough attack but you can tweak it.

jp
                VPRO, TDW-1, V-cymbals, DW 5000 double, Roland KC-500, FS-5U foot switches, Vater sticks

Comment

MP3's

Chad,

I have some MP3's from our demo we use to get gigs. Some of the sounds are more "real" than others. I'd be glad to send you a couple of them if you like.

Sim

Comment

Working...
                  X