Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger signals

In the thread feefer suggested to record the signals coming from the v-cymbals.

I have created some graphs that show the signals coming from the different pads I own. The pads were conected directly to my sound card and the stereo signals were recorded with Goldwave.

The results were a bit confusing

NOTE: I have deleted the graphs, because they were incorrect! The new ones are added below!
    Last edited by Pleiadian; 11-17-02, 06:21 AM.

Originally posted by Albator
    the question still remains...

How's the bell response of your CY-12R/C when connected to the TMC-6 & when connected to the TD-8?
    Yep, I can confirm that the CY12RC bell triggers a lot better when connected to the TMC6 than it does when connected directly to the TD8.

Comment

Hi Feefer,

Thanks for the explanation! I'll try to do some more measurements with the y-cable as you suggested and post them.

Comment

2nd try

Hi all,

I have done some new measurements with the feedback from Chris. It makes all the difference. If the FSR is receiving a signal from the module, the behaviour is very different.

The pads were all connected to the module but split with a y-cable. The second cable went to the souncard. Using Goldwave the signals were recorded. (You may need to refresh to get the new pictures.)

First the PD80. It is a mono piezo pad, so we will only see a signal on one (the left) channel when the pad is hit:

Next the PD80R, which is dual piezo. This first graph shows the signals coming from both piezos when the head is hit:

The next shows the signals when the rim of the PD80R is hit:

Now for the PD7. It is a piezo/fsr pad. First struck on the head:

And when hit on the edge. Notice the response from the fsr trigger. It does not give a wave-like response, but (as predicted by feefer) more like a switch.

Comment

And now for the CY12RC...

Finally the CY12RC. It's a piezo/dual fsr pad. First graph shows the response from the bow and bell when the pad is stuck on the bow.

Now, hit on the bell trigger:

And the last one, when hit on the edge (notice the double triggering on the edge!):

This is a lot better than the first pictures. I hope this helps to understand what kind of signals the pads are generating.

Rob

Comment

I just had the same idea... so I'll try to see if there's a difference between the signal when connected to the TMC6 or TD8. Back to work!

No, the double triggering does not always occur. I just thought it was nice to include it.

Comment

No... it does not make a difference whether the CY12RC is connected to the TMC6 or the TD8. The recorded signal is exactly the same.

So it must be the interpretation of the bell signal that is better in the TMC6 than the TD8...

Comment

Hi All,

Very interesting!!

I wonder what the waveforms look like after performing the bell fix as opposed to before the bell fix? I wonder if it would show a greater isolation of the triggers (due mainly to the FSR being engaged more easily when the gap is removed then it is when stock). Perhaps that is the key; actually isolating the different zones (three separate pieces to make up one unit) rather then the current single piece (unit) with three triggers located in different areas of the unit.

Comment

Working...
                X