Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dtxpress newbie help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dtxpress newbie help

Just returning to drumming after many years away. Picked up a dtxpress cheap and am generally enjoying just playing again. Problem just arose. My dual zone crash cymbal wants to play the center sound when I whack the edge. This is inconsistent and just started. Re-set to factory defaults and problem persists. Do triggers act up?

Re: dtxpress newbie help

Originally posted by chiggins
    Do triggers act up?
    Oh, Lordy! Yup, they sure do. Then again, anything you take a stick to is bound to act up evenually.

I haven't ever used the Yamaha stuff, so I can't address your problem. But there's a wealth of experience on this board to help you. Just sit back and wait. And welcome to the clan!
    My website...
    VCustom kit,
    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
    HDI Cymbals.
    A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

thanks- seems like most everyone is using other brands. I'm about to visit your page

Comment

What's the brand and model number of your crash pad.

Comment

pcy80s I believe

Comment

I looked into upgrading my yamaha single zone pads but understood the new 80s pads to be dual trigger not dual zone. One sound only, but chokeable.

Comment

I was unaware of the distinction- assumed it takes two triggers to have two zones. At any rate, I've had no problem up til yesterday assigning a bell sound to the center of the pad and a crash sound to the raised rim. Yesterday the rim began triggering the bell sound which is real unsettling when you wack that sucker at the end of a fill and get "tink" instead of "splash". I wonder if anyone has a cheat sheet for trigger and voice settings?

Comment

Originally posted by chiggins
                ...which is real unsettling when you wack that sucker at the end of a fill and get "tink" instead of "splash".
                LOL! I bet that's true!

The PCY80S is a dual-zone pad, which should be able to provide two sounds + choke. If it is a hardware failure then my guess would be that the FSR in the rim is breaking (or the cable is bad). It could be a software/settings issue, though. Had you changed any pad settings just before the problem began?

I suppose cross-talk could be an issue as well, since your main trigger sound is 'bell'... if vibrations from, say, your kick pedal are triggering your pad via cross-talk it could play the 'bell' when you (and your stick) expected the rim (crash) sound.
                My website...
                VCustom kit,
                TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                HDI Cymbals.
                A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

You're right. I was thinking of the PCY65S.

Comment

Actually... I had a few sets I liked in the user area. Triggers, voices, etc. Made no changes. This seems like a spontaneous change. The rim voice still works- but I'm as likely to get the pad center sound as the edge sound. ( this problem persists even tho I sacrificed my personal set-ups to the reset function) I guess I'm wondering where the instability is, since I'm much more interested in playing than messing with the world's worst user interface. Just want to set up a kit and play.

Comment

here's what i'm going to try tonight after i'm done driving my kids all over the greater metro area. Try another cable;play with rejection settings; stick up a liquor store and buy some vdrums.

Comment

Also check to see if you layered mulitple sounds. It's happen to me. The louder sound dominates. If that's not it...the pcy's make "deadly" boomerangs.

Comment

That's been a puzzle to me- setting up voice 1 and voice 2. Do they play simultaneously? I appreciate your assistance.

Comment

Yes. IMO, It's the best feature of the Yama brain. My $1300 plus TD10 brain doesn't do it? And it is really quite simple to use. Navigate to voice 1 and pick any sound, then navigate to voice 2 pick any sound. You're done. I blend finished sounds together with volume control. Need more help let me know.

Comment

Working...
                            X