Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Sonar 1.3 & TD-8 users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Sonar 1.3 & TD-8 users?

I need to find anyone out there that's having good luck with this combo. I'm having problems with MIDI communications. Why does the TD-8 constantly SEND data ALL the time? What MIDI parameters do you set on the TD-8? And why doesn't it like the MIDI-OUT in Sonar turned ON?

Thanks,

George

That fixes one problem.

TANX! Now I need to figure out why Sonar is doing what it's doing.

[email protected],

George

Comment

Hey Dr. Groove,

When you say it doesn't like the midi out turned on, is it that you're getting a really loud bazillion notes at once thing happening? if that's the problem, it's because you have 'Local' turned on (default) in your td8's midi settings, and in the Project settings in Sonar, you have Echo set to Auto (default).. So you're getting a loop.. the 'proper' way to handle this is turn off Local and Echo on the TD8.. then all of your projects will work just fine in Sonar.. but that doesn't work if you have a drumkat or other midi device going into the td8 and you want that one recorded too.. in that situation, set Echo to Off or None (I forget the wording) in the Project settings under the midi out tab in Sonar.. Just make sure you do that every time before you hit any pads or move your foot on the hihat pedal (even slightly!).. otherwise it will loop like crazy again..

If this isn't the problem, let me know and I'll try to help you..
      -Eric
      Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Local=OFF, Auto=ON

Thanks! I haven't tried it yet because the file I'm trying to open WON'T open. However, I know that's not due to the TD-8 because I disconnected it completely for testing. The trouble comes when I unleash the Auto SysEx msg. My Kurz seems to rec'v fine, but there's almost 4k going to the TD-8. Even when it says it's done, it never gives me access to actually USE the app.

Some other questions on the TD-8 while I've got you.

1. Should "Sync Mode" be set to "REMOTE" per the Instr. Manual that says that's the setting that rec'vs SPP instruct. albeit, it does create considerably more MIDI chatter?

2. Under Setup/MIDI/Prog, should the RX & TX be turned OFF or ON?

TANX AGAIN...REALLY,

Groove On

Comment

That's pretty strange on the SysEx send screwing things up. I think there's a mapping thing somewhere that stops it from sending through certain ports or something, but I may be mistaken.

RX/TX are only for program changes, and won't affect send/rec actual settings, it only tells it to go to another setting, such as switch to another kit.

Sync Mode on the 8 or Sonar?

What exactly do you need to do with this setup? You want to send SysEx between the 8 and Sonar, or you want to record your playing into Sonar and play it back through 8, or both? Or something else?

You won't need SPP unless you want to slave the sequencer in the 8 to Sonar, which doesn't seem too important.

Does this answer your questions?
          -Eric
          Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

trouble is the .cwb file format

OK. Here's where I think the problem lies. After testing and troubleshooting the best I know how, which is fairly well, the .cwP files open fine that are the same projects of the .cwb bad files that don't open. The lock up comes when I hit the "Load Sysex." On the .cwp ver. that process works like hot butter. So, I don't think the Sysex is the problem. I've changed the Echo setting to None, and turned BACK on the MIDI-OUT parameter so the vol. and other settings Zero out when it stops playing.

As far as "Sync Mode", I was referring to the TD-8. It has Int, Ext, and Remote. From what the manual said, it seemed that Remote would offer more "flexible" sync than just Ext. (I forget exactly what it said), however, the LED's on my MIDIMAN Thru 3X8 indicate that that creates a lot more traffic than necessary. The RX/TX parameters I'll just leave ON.

What I'm using the TD-8 for (right now) is just recording into Sonar and playing back out. I might (in the future) decide I want to record, or download to the TD-8 some parts (Bass Dr., Snr, HiHat) to it's sequencer so that I could trigger them with a footsw. or a trigger intializer; but that's not a priority right now.

I think that's the end of my "War & Peace" novel right now.

Thanks Again for the help,

Groove On

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure on your bundle format problem there. You might wanna delete the Sonar preferences file and see if that helps.. I don't know how the file would have gotten corrupt.

If you'd like, you can send it to me and I'll see if I can open it. I'll give you an ftp account on my machine to upload it.

I'm running Sonar 2.0 here, and they changed the bundle format somewhere last year. I THINK it was when Sonar 1.3 came out, but it may have been 2.0. So if I were to resave it, and the change happened at 2.0, you couldn't read it, but I THINK it was 1.3, so you should be okay..

Try saving your cwp as another filename.cwb and see if you can open that.

Do you NEED the SysEx that is being sent out btw?

On the td-8, you should keep tx and rx on, so that your song will have the right kit settings each time you play it back. You don't need the sync on anything external, since you're not using the internal sequencer to sync with Sonar (as far as you've told me). As long as you're just using the 8 to make sounds and send out midi, and then later to receive midi and make sounds again, you don't need anything other than internal sync (and may get slowdowns and glitches if it's set otherwise).

For your later date recording to the internal sequencer, you'll use the external sync and also will need to have quantize turned on, as far as I know. I haven't done this yet, so I don't know for sure, but I think I read that in my 10's manual.

The 8 is always sending a sort of 'keep alive' midi message, so that's why you see constant data. it's minimal bandwidth though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Are you using a separate midi in/out on your thru box for the drums? That will keep most problems at bay. I suppose you could turn off or unplug the td-8 when you send the SysEx out if it's still a problem.

Have you tried removing all midi from the computer (I guess just your thru box' connection), and loading the bundle file that way and sending SysEx (to nowhere) and checking the result? That'll help narrow it down..

I'm building a monster drum set at the moment (check my info on the left).. It's 6 feet tall.. I'll post pics when I'm done..

Try these tips and lemme know how you make out..
              -Eric

Comment

I WANT MY MAMA!

Eric,

Tanx a "mill" for your help...again. Now, when I turn on the TD-8 I get a deer-into-headlights boot up. I downloaded the 1.10 update that apparently was going just fine. I made sure the "Read/Write process was going properly, then went to mix a drink. I came back and the"Tempo" light (NOT "Kit" as the ReadMe file stated) was lit... NOT blinking, but lit. Anyway, I shut it down, and rebooted it, just as the instructions stated. That's when I got the "Duh" from the TD-8. Is there a "hold-your-tongue-to-the-right-lift-your- left-leg" solution to get it to boot back to normal? Never mind the fact that it erased my drumkit settings.

Sonar support wrote me back suggesting to basically uninstall, then do a clean install. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for my CD case to be FedEx'ed that I left at my best friend's 3.5 hrs. away.

I'll be so damn glad when I can finally just do what I wanna do. DAMN!

[email protected],

Groove On

Comment

Wow, that sounds really sucky.. I don't have a TD-8, so I don't have an answer for that. You might want to contact Roland about it. Or make a new post on that subject here (if you haven't yet).

Reinstalling Sonar might fix the problem, but I'm not sure where it lies, so it might not.. Did you try unplugging the thru box and sending sysex from the bundle file? If that doesn't work, then I would say reinstall it, but it it does work, the problem is elsewhere..

Keep me posted on how you make out, that update sounds kinda bad, but there's gotta be the equivalent to a PC's reset jumper or something, to get it back to normal or something..

Cya!
                  -Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X