Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding to TD-5 - SPD-6 or TMC-6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding to TD-5 - SPD-6 or TMC-6?

Howdy. I have a maxed out Roland TD-5. Bought an SPD-6 - and routed to the amp independently...not bad sounding...

Tried the MIDI from SPD-6 to the TD-5 but very hard top get working and it resets the kit number...

Thinking the TMC-6 might be a better option...

Any thoughts?

Anyone know if the TMC-6 will work with the TD-5?

Does the TMC-6 mess with the kit number like the SPD-6 via MIDI or is it s straight ahead trigger of a note in the TD-5
    Thx. JS
    ----------------------------------------------
    So many freaks...so few circuses.

Re: Adding to TD-5 - SPD-6 or TMC-6?

Originally posted by robotron
    Tried the MIDI from SPD-6 to the TD-5 but very hard top get working and it resets the kit number...
    I'm thinking this is a configuration problem. I don't have a TD5 or an SPD-6, but I'm betting that in the TD5's MIDI settings there is the ability to set it so that it ignores system messeges. Alternatively, I'd bet that the SPD-6's setup includes the ability to not send system messages.

I would expect the SPD-6 to be a great way to expand the TD5.

Welcome to the group!!
    My website...
    VCustom kit,
    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
    HDI Cymbals.
    A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Thx. Read a review of the SPd-6 that also mentioned it turns off after 10 minutes ven with an adapter!

Basically, it is about 250 for the SPD-6 versus 250 +6 pads + 6 mounts for the tmc-6..

There does not appear to be a way to suppress the kit message from the spd-6...will crack the td-5 manual tonight

Even without using midi, I can still have 6 more sounds via direct connecting the spd-6 to my mixer or JBL G2 for gigging
      Thx. JS

Comment

Originally posted by robotron
        ...250 +6 pads + 6 mounts for the tmc-6...
        That'd be a huge price difference, if you ask me. I'm thinking the SPD-6 is the better deal.
        Even without using midi, I can still have 6 more sounds via direct connecting the spd-6 to my mixer or JBL G2 for gigging
        True enough, my friend!
        My website...
        VCustom kit,
        TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
        HDI Cymbals.
        A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

I have all three pieces of equipment mentioned. I think it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you're looking to add more inputs to your TD-5, I'd go with the TMC. Even though the TD-5 has default instruments for different MIDI Note Numbers, you can change those from the module. A word of note: in the manual, the MIDI chart has some numbers that correspond to the module inputs instead of just onboard sounds. You can't change those. I've tried; no dice. In addition, you can just reset the settings for the module and start from scratch if the TMC is getting away from you. Be careful, I'm not sure offhand if you can reset the MIDI paramters without resetting the module too. You'll have to look that up.

The SPD-6 is a great piece of machinery, but I think the learning curve for the MIDI is a little high. Supposedly there are ways to dictate which Note Numbers you can transmit for each pad, but I've had it for a while now, and I've yet to figure it out. I find it works best if I need to trigger percussion and auxiliary samples, or if I know exactly which Note Number does what. I used to have it hooked up to a BOSS sampler, and since I knew which pads on the sampler would be triggered from the pads in the various SPD kits, it was a simple matter of just taking notes.

You're right, figuring in the cost of pads and mounts does make the TMC more costly, but depending on what you're using it for, possibly more cost-effective.

One more thing to consider: the SPD-6 has (I think), slightly better preset percussion samples, but very few editing features.

To summarize:

-If you're just using the SPD to trigger things like auxiliary sounds and percussion, I'd go with that, or just use it on its own.

-If you want to trigger extra sounds from your TD-5(secondary snare drum, one of its onboard effects, etc.), then I'd go for the TMC and pads.

Hope this helps.

-Jaay

Comment

I think I will return it (love Guitar Center ) and look at a used TD-7 kit - about $600 but ives me all the dual zone pads, more inputs...or I also saw an SPD-6 with 2 pedals and a power supply for about $80! Maybe I'll get it and the TD-7 based kit

One last question - this all started because I needed a rimshot for some songs...I bought a sweet LP jam block (incredibly loud) but figured keeping it all electronic would be simpler...

1) Can I just use a PD-7 or PD-9 pad with the TD-5 to get a dual zone snare - rimshot and center?

2) Can one use the V-drum meshhead pads wit the older TD-5 as well?

Sorry for asking what may be dumb ? - manuals are not that clear and it is clear this community has a wealth of experience....
            Thx. JS

Comment

You can disable the sending of Program Change data on the SPD-6. You can disable the receipt of Program Change data on most modules. On the TD-8 it is an option under the MIDI menu. (I don't have a TD-6 handy.) You can also disable the 'auto-off' feature of the SPD-6 (which is necessary even with the AC adapter). I assume you got a manual, but if not PM me and I'll look the functions up in mine. We reviewed the SPD-6 here:

http://www.acousticdrums.com/members/esp.htm

Click on the SPD-6 review. This may be the one you already read, but if not there might be some more answers to your operation questions there. If you're the curious type, we also ripped it completely apart and posted some pictures.
              William Reeves - President
              Logistix Productions, Inc

http://www.logiztix.com

Comment

Working...
              X