Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMC 6....Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMC 6....Any good?

I've got a really good price (I think) for a brand new one of these and I'd like feedback from anyone who's used / got / tested one.

I've got a TD-10 will all the trigger inputs filled.

I'd like to add a couple more PD 120's and a couple of CY14C's and maybe another CY15R

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Maverick

Whether or not it's any good is matter of opinion. Maybe a better question would be - does it fit your needs? If you just want to add "...a couple more PD 120's and a couple of CY14C's and maybe another CY15R" (i.e. a few more inputs) to trigger the TD-10, then yes, it will certainly fit your needs and be a lot cheaper than buying another module, especially if you can get a good price like you say.

It's great for adding a few more inputs to your TD-10 without giving anything up to the TD-10 inputs themselves. Beyond that, it's usefulness seems limited.
    - andy

Hart Dynamics ZigaPro Kit (6.4 w/ many extras)

Comment

I agree with drewdrum, it's good for adding inputs. That is how I have mine set up and it's great. (I need to post some pictures sometime.)

Mark
      TD-10 exp, TMC-6, Hart Pro Snare, PD-120, PD-100, PD-80, KD-120, CY14R/C, CY12R/C, CY15R, CY12H

Comment

I'm a bit curious about this as well. Perhaps this should be a separate thread but......when connecting additional pads to the TMC-6, can you select sounds that aren't assigned to any of the TD-10's 12 inputs? OR, for example, are you limited to having two of the same crash cymbals (one from the TD-10 input and a corresponding sound from the TMC-6 input)?

(I hope I make sense )
        F1Montoya
        Roland TD-20S V-Pro, Roland V-Session w/TMC-6, Hart Pro 6.4 w/Roland V-Cymbals, Roland SPD-S, Zendrum

Comment

F1Montoya: The way I understand it, you would MIDI the TMC6 to your module, and then assign any of the module's sounds to the each of the individual MIDI instruments triggered by the TMC6. Thus you would not be forced to duplicate the sounds already assigned to the inputs on your module (but you could if you wanted to).
          My website...
          VCustom kit,
          TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
          HDI Cymbals.
          A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Re: Re: TMC 6....Any good?

Originally posted by feefer

Hi Maverick,

Sorry all, but I've gotta disagree with the previous responses here.

While a TMC-6 will allow you to use one CY-15 (for 3-way triggering, if using two trigger inputs), you'll only be able to use ONE additional PD-120 (since the TMC-6 has only one true dual-piezo input). The remainder of inputs on the TMC-6 are best suited for use with piezo/FSR pads.

Chris

Not necessarily true. You can add as many PD-120's as there are inputs on the TMC-6, but you ARE limited to what you can do with those PD-120's by what the inputs provide you with.

What Chris is referring to is that there is only a single input on the TMC-6 which supports true dual-piezo functionality (e.g. snare drum with rim shot). But if you are using the PD-120's as additional single trigger toms, then plug them in anywhere you want. Am I wrong?
            - andy

Comment

Re: Re: Re: TMC 6....Any good?

Originally posted by drewdrum
              What Chris is referring to is that there is only a single input on the TMC-6 which supports true dual-piezo functionality
              Dos this mean that, with a splitter applied to that one input, you could actually ad 7 single-trigger items?

Or is it 1 dual-trigger jack + 4 single-trigger jacks?
              My website...
              VCustom kit,
              TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
              HDI Cymbals.
              A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: TMC 6....Any good?

Hey Chris, I hear ya. I'm not trying to start anything, it's just that I made different assumptions than you did after reading Maverick's initial post.

That's a VDrums.com FAQ, wherein people often ask why Roland supplies dual-piezo PD-120 pads for use as toms when the TD-x only provides full dual-piezo pad capability for the snare input. The answer is...... who knows? Perhaps to sell more expensive pads, simply because the size makes more sense?
                It's cheaper to just make a zillion of the same pad rather than 2 versions of the PD-120 since many people like the diameter because of the more "acoustic" look and feel, or so the Roland marketing people would suggest.

I use (2) PD-80s in the position of rack toms, and (2) PD-100s for floor toms. Unless you just like the diameter, why pay for a dual-piezo pad when the most functionality the module will support at tom inputs is mono-piezo (more accurately, piezo/FSR)?
                Some people like the diameter, and maybe future modules will provide more dual piezo inputs (listening Roland?...probably not) thus making your PD-120's more useful all of a sudden.

But to be accurate, the poster said he wants to use "a couple" of PD-120's with the TMC-6, and most users will assume that to mean they can use it like they know their own PD-120 to function, i.e. as a two-zone pad. And that's not the case.....
                Sorry, I disagree that users will assume that. Why? Since 2 of the 3 PD-120's that come with a V-Concert/Session function as a single zone pad (granted, due to the limitations of the module). If anything, based on percentages, I would "know" my PD-120s to function as a single zone unless plugged into the snare input.

BTW:
                Is it possible to make an input on a module capable of supporting both a dual-piezo AND a piezo/FSR so you can use any pad you want for that input?
                Last edited by drewdrum; 10-30-02, 05:21 PM.
                - andy

Comment

Ranman and Feefer - Thanks for your responses! That clears a lot up for me.
                  F1Montoya
                  Roland TD-20S V-Pro, Roland V-Session w/TMC-6, Hart Pro 6.4 w/Roland V-Cymbals, Roland SPD-S, Zendrum

Comment

Working...
                  X